Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 PM

32 posts, read 62,500 times

Advertisements

Can I seriously ask you that am I really doing something illegal? I don't know so I am asking you.

My agent said it was a rebate from him after we made the deal, so I didn't think of anything illegal or unethical at that moment. I said secret deal coz we just made this agreement on phone, without putting that on a piece of paper.

I just feel a bit surprise on this forum that some ppl said I was doing illegal thing after I put this post.

That's why, my point is, how come I can't make a complaint or ruin his reputation in this industry? He is now not keeping his promise to me. I feel surprise that he tried to play game with me just for that $700, but he is the owner of the realty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Are you actually suggesting that the original poster should go all over the web, admitting that they tried to do something illegal with their realtor - and they knew it was wrong - but they did it anyway? How would that help?

They were trying to cheat the system in some way, with the realtor, and now they're mad the realtor is cheating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Yes actually I am talking about the cash rebate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Can the OP explain why they needed to keep this agreement "secret"? Since it was a cash purchase with no loan financing, mortgage fraud is not an issue. Is the OP in a state that does not allow cash rebates from agents?

Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM

Someone suggested that I should keep calling him like each call after 30 mins, or keep going his office to bother him until he gives in. I know this method is silly.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,585,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight12 View Post
Yes actually I am talking about the cash rebate.
OK, thanks. Sorry to repeat, but the rebate agreement should have been in writing and paid at closing.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
I'm not an attorney but I would think that the "rebate" should have been on your HUD-1 (settlement statement).

"Secret" deals give the impression that something isn't 100% legal.

Maybe you should call an attorney.

Vicki

Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
I believe you (OP) paid cash so there's no bank fraud and I don't think the rebate would need to be on the HUD since it didn't affect the seller. Only an attorney can advise you that way but I don't think it was a violation and, if it was some sort of RESPA violation, you didn't know that. You relied on your agent, as you should have. No, in my opinion you are dealing with a thief. I say that because, if you had misunderstood his intentions, he would have questioned what you were talking about the first time you brought it up.

First, find your local board of Realtors and find out if he is a member. If not, they may be able to tell you if he's a member elsewhere. Wherever he is a member, they will have a procedure for grievances and violations. Talk with them. Based on what you've said here, I don't think you've done anything wrong and he's had all the time and chances he deserves. Don't let him get away with this. Our profession doesn't need him or want him.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,298 times
I am all confused. Why did the OP want to increase the asking price when HE was buying a house?
In any case, if the OP is not after the money but just offended from being deceived, I would have just posted his story all over the internet with the realto's name and his office name. Start with yelp.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight12 View Post
Someone suggested that I should keep calling him like each call after 30 mins, or keep going his office to bother him until he gives in. I know this method is silly.
I heard people on this board advising to stand in front of his office with a poster 'do not do business with a liar". Never tried that myself, but just an idea .

Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 PM

I am happy to get a very useful suggestion from you. The fact about me is, I am an overseas investor and I am not familiar with real estate policy. I relied a lot on this agent at that time (and he looked very friendly, responsible and responsive - before the closing date. Everything's changed after the closing.), so I trust him he will give me back the rebate without any written agreement. He knows that I will be leaving the country soon, that's why he wants to escape me as far as he can and thinks that I can't do anything. Honestly I am still feeling unhappy of what happened to me this Saturday (He treated me as a fool!). It's a lesson to me and I will certainly do whatever I can to get back my money and ruin his name before I leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I believe you (OP) paid cash so there's no bank fraud and I don't think the rebate would need to be on the HUD since it didn't affect the seller. Only an attorney can advise you that way but I don't think it was a violation and, if it was some sort of RESPA violation, you didn't know that. You relied on your agent, as you should have. No, in my opinion you are dealing with a thief. I say that because, if you had misunderstood his intentions, he would have questioned what you were talking about the first time you brought it up.

First, find your local board of Realtors and find out if he is a member. If not, they may be able to tell you if he's a member elsewhere. Wherever he is a member, they will have a procedure for grievances and violations. Talk with them. Based on what you've said here, I don't think you've done anything wrong and he's had all the time and chances he deserves. Don't let him get away with this. Our profession doesn't need him or want him.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,585,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
...if the OP is not after the money but just offended from being deceived, I would have just posted his story all over the internet with the realto's name and his office name. Start with yelp.
I'd be careful about doing what you suggest. I agree that if the OP's story is accurate, the agent is not being honest and honorable in their dealing with the OP. However, without proof that the agent reneged on this promise, may open up potential legal action by the agent (defamation, lible, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate