Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,383 times

Advertisements

We are interviewing realtors to help sell our home. Each one seems to have something different to say about how to market the home, but honestly, most have seemed vague to me. One said print is dead and it's all about marketing in the internet, but I didn't get specifics about what websites and such.

What is reasonable to expect in terms of marketing by the realtor? What is generally considered a "good marketing plan"? I know it varies by house and region, but there have got to be some things that are standard good practice?

One more unrelated question, the previous time we were on the market, the realtor seemed great, right up until we signed the contract ... then she was a stranger! Seriously, there was little communication and whenever we did call, she was nice but brief and seemed generally disinterested in being bothered. But we were locked in at that point for 6 months.

Is it possible for us to add certain provisions to the contract to prevent being stuck with a realtor that is clearly not doing a good job? Would love your thoughts on specific suggestions as to how to fail-proof the contract. I wouldn't fire someone for the house not selling ... it's a tough market -- but I would want to fire someone for ignoring me once they have my listing or for just dumping it on the MLS and thinking that's good enough.

Please ... need all the advice you can dish out. Thank you.

BTW, we are in Putnam County (Philipstown area, specifically).

ETA: ooops, is this supposed to be in "General - Real Estate" ... is there a way to move it there? Thanks.

Last edited by Minier; 06-23-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent
plug in your zip code and see what your competition is and how they are "marketing"

There are other websites but I like it best.
After you poke around a bit play with the filtering parameters.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
...Is it possible for us to add certain provisions to the contract to prevent being stuck with a realtor that is clearly not doing a good job? ....
Yes, it's all negotiable. I'd ask that a a clause be included allowing either you are the agent to cancel at anytime prior to having a signed contract. Some agents may not agree, but then you are free to find another one.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I attach an addendum to my listing agreements that specifically states what they get. It states how often I post to Craigslist, how often they get updated comps, broker tours, etc. Ask them to put in writing specifically what they will do, and how often they will do it. Then ask that it be part of the listing agreement. I'd add a clause (I have it in mine) that says if they don't do what is on the addendum, you can terminate the agreement for breach of contract on their part.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:08 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent
plug in your zip code and see what your competition is and how they are "marketing"

There are other websites but I like it best.
After you poke around a bit play with the filtering parameters.
Trulia, zillow and other sites to that extent should be considered "for entertainment purposes only"
Otherwise to OP the first realtor is right today it's all about the internet these days. The MLS and realtor.com is what nearly everyone uses to buy and sell a home. The most important thing to the best marketing and chance of selling is price, price, price.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
My last experience with our realtor was great
the home sold in 5 days granted that was 6 years ago
but she did a fantastic bang out job and
just did about everything to get people in the home

would always use a realtor no matter what

Old 06-24-2011, 04:48 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I attach an addendum to my listing agreements that specifically states what they get. It states how often I post to Craigslist, how often they get updated comps, broker tours, etc. Ask them to put in writing specifically what they will do, and how often they will do it. Then ask that it be part of the listing agreement. I'd add a clause (I have it in mine) that says if they don't do what is on the addendum, you can terminate the agreement for breach of contract on their part.
Ditto.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'll stand with you, too!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:07 PM

136 posts, read 328,732 times
Every agent's marketing plan should be clearly spelled out in writing. Perhaps the agent without the plan just assumes his/her clients are in the know about all things internet marketing related. But even if the client is savvy in this area, it should still be spelled out. Generally speaking, the plan should also include guidelines/expectations for preparing the house, photography, when the sign(s) will be placed, when the office/region "caravan" or tour will take place - and most importantly, how often, and by what method the agent will provide the client with updates! (The "list and leave" syndrome really gets my goat.) I would also ask if the agent has actually previewed the other homes with which you are competing. This is important in order for them to promote the tangible differences between the properties.

I realize this is not overwhelmingly popular advice, but if you end up feeling disconnected from your agent, despite attempting to make contact - you do have the right to ask to terminate the contract. In other words, if you genuinely feel like they are not holding up their end of the agreement, talk to their (managing) broker, and if necessary, terminate it! And, don't feel bad - the agent knows full well when they've done a less than admirable job.

For some odd reason, many people think they are literally chained to that agent after the listing agreement has been signed - that their agent can do as they please, and the homeowner is just out of luck. Yes... it's a contract, but certain promises were made when the contract was executed - and the performance of some of those written promises can be rather subjective.

However, what is not subjective, is that your agent has a fiduciary duty to you. This includes "loyalty" which in a nutshell means that they are working for your "best interests." Agents that remain out of pocket for weeks at a time, or habitually do not return phone calls within a reasonable or predetermined time-frame - or worse - fail to promptly or properly handle negotiations when they occur, are in violation of their duties, and thus... the contract is subject to termination.

Many great agents today offer service guarantees - a straight-forward right to terminate the contract should the client become dissatisfied. (There are built-in, and usually negotiable protection periods - and you obviously can't terminate in the middle of a pending sale, unless there are egregious errors - but that's another story.)

Anyway - bottom line - please don't be intimidated! Ask lots of questions, and express your interest in working with the agent in good faith to get your home sold (meaning, the homeowner doing their part as well). Any agent who squirms or acts put-off by honest and/or "challenging" questions needs to be politely sent away. It's YOUR home, and YOUR money.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:19 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Firstly, they all say that nobody finds houses in the newspaper, so don't expect to see your listing in your paper very often. DO expect to see an awesome internet presence, with lots of good photos.
Depending upon where you live, open houses may, or may not, be a waste of everyone's time. Get this decided when you interview.
Once the marketing is in place, there is pretty much nothing for the agent to do, or report on, until they get some action on the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate