Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times

Advertisements

Why is it legal for some mls areas in NC to list a house as active when it has a contract pending? I could understand the realtor would want to accept backup offers during the due diligence period, but if you are a realtor and you find several homes that meet your client's criteria, do you call the seller's agent of every single listing first to make sure there isn't a contract on it and your client would only be a backup? This makes no sense to me. How do you know when something is really active?

How does it work in other states? In VA, I have always seen the home listed as contingent/ko or contingent/nk pending all inspections or other issues. But homes here are not listed as active when they have contracts on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Why is it legal for some mls areas in NC to list a house as active when it has a contract pending? I could understand the realtor would want to accept backup offers during the due diligence period, but if you are a realtor and you find several homes that meet your client's criteria, do you call the seller's agent of every single listing first to make sure there isn't a contract on it and your client would only be a backup? This makes no sense to me. How do you know when something is really active?

How does it work in other states? In VA, I have always seen the home listed as contingent/ko or contingent/nk pending all inspections or other issues. But homes here are not listed as active when they have contracts on them.
MLSs are private functions and set and enforce their own rules regarding status of listings.
In Triangle MLS, it IS the rule that a home with a contract on it will be listed either as "Contingent" or "Pending."

Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 AM

Why is that allowed (to set their own rules)? If a house is under contract, it's under contract, no matter what mls it's on. It just seems like a bad business practice to me.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Why is that allowed (to set their own rules)? If a house is under contract, it's under contract, no matter what mls it's on. It just seems like a bad business practice to me.
Who else would set the rules?
HUD? (That is hilarious, BTW, if you have ever tried to do real estate business on a HUD-owned property....)

MLSs are private associations, and as such SHOULD be able to set their own rules.

A home is not SOLD until the deed is recorded for the new owner, and as such, buyers should consider making offers on any home, whether under contract or not.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
What a question. Private enterprises are allowed to set their own rules, as long as they are not violating any laws.

Me thinks you whine too much.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
There is a property in TN that had "under contract" for over 6 months. The contract obviously fell through. During that 6 months, there were possibly a dozen people who might have been interested in the property who didn't bother with it and didn't become a "back-up" buyer. The house is still on the MLS - obviously unsold - obviously without a back-up buyer. That "under contract" had me pass that house by and I was interested. We bought another property.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
In the Phoenix area MLS (ARMLS), we are required to set status to either Pending or to a contingent status for certain contingencies when under contract. Our contingent status is a form of Active, so many external listing websites still show them as active.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Who else would set the rules?
HUD? (That is hilarious, BTW, if you have ever tried to do real estate business on a HUD-owned property....)

MLSs are private associations, and as such SHOULD be able to set their own rules.

A home is not SOLD until the deed is recorded for the new owner, and as such, buyers should consider making offers on any home, whether under contract or not.

A realtor told me she has been frustrated because she picks houses for her clients and shows them the listings. Then she calls for a showing only to find out it's due to close 2 days later. Just wondering if there wouldn't be some better system in place like here in Virginia.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM

Well that is human error. It would be equally disappointing if the house was listed as active for 6 months, and you wanted to buy it, but it was under contract. If it remained listed as active the entire time, how would you ever know if it was really active again or still under contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
There is a property in TN that had "under contract" for over 6 months. The contract obviously fell through. During that 6 months, there were possibly a dozen people who might have been interested in the property who didn't bother with it and didn't become a "back-up" buyer. The house is still on the MLS - obviously unsold - obviously without a back-up buyer. That "under contract" had me pass that house by and I was interested. We bought another property.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
You have to realize that the MLS clients are the agents who pay a subscription to access the system. Private companies don't typically change their business model to accommodate requests or requirements from people who don't pay them.

Likely your best way to get what you want is to start your own MLS like system - thus giving you the freedom to set your own rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate