Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Never" is seldom said from a position of informed strength.
I was about to also say most condos I would consider iffy, depending. I guess you don't allow for opinions other than your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
Oops a curve ball, but I asked and I am happy to learn. Mobile, manufactured (seems little to no difference), modular, and "stickZZZZZ" built. Am I missing some type of constuction....LOL

Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 PM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I was about to also say most condos I would consider iffy, depending. I guess you don't allow for opinions other than your own.
No one minds an informed reasonably thought-out position, including me.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,680 times
To clarify, I'd be buying the mobile/manufactured home in good shape but for the price of land, basically, (land with utilities on it). It's often possible to buy a mobile home on land, with utilities connected, for much lower price than buying land, developing it (driveway, water, electric, sewer/septic, etc) and putting a used home on it. I feel aversion to condos... but then, there's a "mobile home" stigma, so I wonder what'd have better value on a long term--manufacture home can be replaced with a newer model, easily, bought used and relatively inexpensive (compared to price of putting a stick home on land). The mobile home I'm considering is located in the neighborhood consisting in mobile homes on own land, mostly, so I'm wondering, if this kind of neighborhood might be bad for future value of the property or renting it out.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
Its too easy for a condo to fall off the FHA approval list thus making a resale a nightmare. It may be FHA approved when you buy it and some events may transpire in the time that you own it making it impossible to sell. Your own land is MUCH better because even if you have to burn the structure and start over the land itself still has value. Make sure the land is premium property (a view, mineral rights, etc) and the structure is incidental that way your odds of going underwater are much lower when the value of the land itself is keeping you above water. Too many things can go wrong with the structure so you dont want to rely on it to recover your money if you have to sell or have to dump huge dollars into repairs when you just want out.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,348 times
I do not know your price range. I do know that many upscale modular/manufactured homes now are available that are set into permanent foundations often with full finished basements. The construction is 2x6 with insulation values of R-30 and higher. The wiring is up to the latest code. The homes are available in sizes up to triple wide and even with 2 stories (usually if two stories about 1 of one width is a deck (either front porch or back deck). The homes can withstand winds and damage as well or better than most frame homes. The homes also do not need to have decking as many are set to where they are offset from the ground about the same as frame homes on a slab foundation with a large crawl space created underneath (or a complete basement). Exteriors are available with a wide variety of effects ranging including brick, stone, adobe/stucco, wood, log, and of course vinyl siding. Roofs are also available with effect varying from flat to high pitch, no overhangs to 2 or 3 foot overhangs, shingle, slate, or terracotta. The roofs can even be manufactured to withstands winds of 150mph or higher and with 50-70 year warranties. At maximum size including a full finished basement a manufactured home can have nearly 12000 square feet of living space. The price will reflect the quality in that the home can cost over 500k dollars but at least in upscale communities I routinely see condo's starting at 600k or more. The Cambridge at PLH-Cambrideg-2 is 9677 square feet without basement and includes 5BR, 6B, study, living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast nook, family room, entrance foyer all quite spacious and that does not include the option for a 3 car two story garage, where the second story maybe more rooms/servants quarters or area for lifts in case you desire to work on your own vehicles. No if you want to spend the money, modular/manufactured homes can be an investment and would be completely appropriate even in the most upscale of communities.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Neither?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate