Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times

Advertisements

Say that you are selling a house that's been listed for several months with no offers. A prospective buyer offers you 2 alternatives:

(1) I will pay $300k and all my own closing costs
(2) I will pay $307k and seller will pay $5k of my closing costs

Please assume that the exact numbers would be worked out so that the seller really does do a bit better paying closing costs than not (i.e. after all commissions, fees, etc.).

The buyer has great credit, a very secure job, etc., and is pre-qualified at the higher selling price. She would prefer the slightly higher mortgage with slightly less cash needed at closing. Assuming the seller would also net slightly more with that option, would most sellers go for it? Or would sellers be annoyed at paying some of the buyer's closing costs and just on principle take the offer that nets them a bit less?

(In my state [maybe in all states?] sellers can pay up to 3% toward buyer's closing costs.)

thanks,
Karen in New Hampshire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM

15,581 posts, read 40,450,935 times
In my opinion only a crazy buyer would offer more money like that. The seller cares about the net. Don't give them more money in order to wrap your closing costs into a loan. 95% of my real estate transactions in 2011 had the seller paying the closing costs on behalf of the buyer.

Closing cost allowance is determined by the type of loan, not the state. Please tell me you have a very experienced real estate agent and lender helping you out?

Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
There is no reason to not pay costs, particularly when you will realize a higher net at closing, but know that the property has to appraise at the higher value.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
In my opinion only a crazy buyer would offer more money like that. The seller cares about the net. Don't give them more money in order to wrap your closing costs into a loan. 95% of my real estate transactions in 2011 had the seller paying the closing costs on behalf of the buyer.

Closing cost allowance is determined by the type of loan, not the state. Please tell me you have a very experienced real estate agent and lender helping you out?
I read that the OP is the seller, and interpret the $300K as a lower amount.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Assuming that all the other terms of the contract are the same it really doesn't make that much difference since you are only talking about a $2000 here. I think if these are good offers the seller will tell you they are happy to see either one of them and make your choice.

If these were 2 offers coming from 2 different buyers and I were the seller I might consider doing a multiple counter.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:17 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
A prospective buyer offers you 2 alternatives:
...Assuming the seller would also net slightly more with that option, would most sellers go for it?
...Or would sellers be annoyed at paying some of the buyer's closing costs and just on principle take the offer that nets them a bit less?
So long as laws aren't broken... it's all about the bottom line. How you get there, which still includes a valuation for contingencies and time until closing date among other things, is largely immaterial.

But $1000 one way or another shouldn't be a factor in a $300,000 transaction

hth

Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 PM

15,581 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I read that the OP is the seller, and interpret the $300K as a lower amount.
I guess I read it as the OP is a buyer trying to figure out what a seller would think of being given a choice like that.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I guess I read it as the OP is a buyer trying to figure out what a seller would think of being given a choice like that.

The OP has discussed her sale prior to this thread, so I had my due diligence in order....

Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
I read it as the OP being the buyer. It also was asked in a hypothetical way.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Silverfall and MikeJaquish, I'm actually the buyer in this one, trying to figure out what a seller might go for. :-) The numbers are all hypothetical -- they don't actually relate to the situation that might come to pass. It does seem odd to me that the buyer might get cash at closing (legally) but if it could work out, that would be great. I DO have down payment money AND reserves AND I have a job that I can only lose through gross negligence (so it's not going to happen!), but it would be nice to be able to keep a few thousand dollars liquid.

I'll be paying extra on the mortgage every month anyway (as I do with my current mortgage), so the few extra thousand on the mortgage would be "made up" relatively quickly.

Thanks for all the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate