Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

Sometimes photos in real estate listings just make me say WHY, WHY, WHY? I've included one that I just saw ... why would this seller think that this very messy room would help sell his/her house?

I have also seen photos of KIDS in real estate photos, as if somehow my looking at a photo of little kids that I have zero interest in would make me buy the house? Really?

(I like kids, well some kids, but strangers' kids on realtor.com? Really?)

I know there's a whole web site of ugly real estate photos, but I can't figure out why people still don't take GREAT photos when they are about to list their house -- especially in this market!
Attached Thumbnails
photos in real estate listings - why, why, why-why_why_why.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Yes, the seller is a slob, but it's the agent that should be chastised. How that is going to create the desire to see the house is beyond me.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM

56 posts, read 265,977 times
We were in a rush to get our home listed. Our realtor posted pics in a hurry to get it listed in time for the weekend. He said it was better for someone to see the listing than not.
The rugs were crooked, chairs upside down (cleaning), toys all over, beds not made, etc.
I was ticked off.
I went and retook pictures and emailed them to him to repost. I think some realtors can't get the home owners to comply with the "rules" that get a home sold.
I prob wouldn't consider a home like that. If they are too lazy/busy to make it look nice for a picture, can you imagine what the home mainenence would be?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 PM

56 posts, read 265,977 times
Lovely Listings web site is funny
http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/lovelylisting

Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
I would be VERY pissed if someone posted photos of my house in a messy state!

I guess the question I usually have when looking at photos like the one I posted (which isn't even all that bad compared to some on that "ugly photos" site!) is, what do the sellers think they are SELLING with that particular photo? All you can see is a crowded room. You don't get a sense of spaciousness or even an idea of what else the room might be used for.

I've also occasionally seen close-up photos of, say, a flower in a vase on top of a dresser. I always think, "You wasted one of your real estate photos on THAT?" Unless the seller is leaving the dresser for the buyer, why am I seeing it without seeing anything else in the room? It's just bizarre to me.

If I ever sell my house I will rent a storage unit and get rid of half of my furniture (bookcases on most walls!). I see some "staged" photos and maybe it's gimmicky, but wow, a lot of those look great and make me start thinking right away of how I might "live" in that space. And isn't that the point?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM

577 posts, read 900,192 times
What I don't understand are the closeups of furniture that show no features in the room. A closeup of a neatly made king sized bed (and nothing else in the picture) -- (and no, the furniture isn't being sold with the house) -- a close up of a shower curtain or a window shade and nothing else... a picture of just a dining room table, and so on.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Apparently you aren't familiar with humans. They tend to make poor choices on a regular basis.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
What I don't understand are the closeups of furniture that show no features in the room. A closeup of a neatly made king sized bed (and nothing else in the picture) -- (and no, the furniture isn't being sold with the house) -- a close up of a shower curtain or a window shade and nothing else... a picture of just a dining room table, and so on.
It's because they don't have a digital SLR with a super wide angle lens. Sellers are crazy to hire people like this but do so every day.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
This is my #1 pet peeve with real estate photos. I need the pix to show me the context of the house, how the rooms flow, etc. I don't need to see a sofa on the long wall of a living room. Every living room looks like that. I need to know how it relates to the room next to it. Especially if there's no virtual tour.

My favorite new (to me) feature is the walk-thru video tour, rather than just a slideshow, so you can really judge the flow of the house.

My #2 complaint about real estate photos is clutter. We have a LOT of older sellers getting rid of their homes after 25-30 years in our area, and I always wish their agents would say, "Before I list your house, you have to promise to remove three fake plants from every room."

Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I believe that bad photos are acceptable in the market place.
If sellers wanted good photos, they would demand them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate