Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times

Advertisements

The standard RE contract in CA gives a cash buyer 7 days to show proof of funds. (That number can be changed) In some REO transactions the seller demands proof of funds with the offer. <sigh>.

If I'm representing the buyer and we can prove funds, I usually suggest that we enclose that with the offer. If the bank statement shows "too much" in the way of funds, I suggest that they transfer funds into another account so the seller doesn't look at the number and say "They can afford to pay more".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Something about all this just doesn't add up to me. I think you are right that they did not take you seriously, including the seller herself. Otherwise she would not have agreed to extensions or to a 100000 price drop relative to your offer. And given that you were paying cash what did you go to the bank for a mortgage pre-approval letter rather than innediately fax the agent a cash offer with the evidence of your assets to pay cash? Etc.

I don't know why they didn't take you seriously but if you think there may be another dream property in your future I would try to figure out exactly what the issue was and try to prevent it next time.
My problem was timing...

I wasn't looking to move or even considering it.

Unbeknownst to me, the owner had accepted an offer about the same time I viewed the property.

What made it more urgent on my side is I knew the history of this property and had long admired it.

When I told the listing agent I wanted her to write up my offer, that is when I learned an offer had just been accepted.

I didn't know at the time the accepted offer was 100k under the listing price. I learned that about 10 days later from the owner.

No one's fault for luck of the draw.

What got me annoyed is I wanted to submit a back-up offer and she acted like the property was all but sold and no, the listing agent was not representing the buyer.

The buyer's agent apparently has a reputation of getting deals closed... even though it took all 60 days to do it... he did get it closed.

Maybe the listing agent was thinking why get a back-up when the property is all but sold?

It wasn't till I communicated with the seller directly, had their unlisted number in my car club roster, and told her I was willing, ready and able to buy at full price... that the listing agent had to take me seriously...

Twice after that... the listing agent contacted me to say it looked like the in contract buyer would be out of contract and to be ready... both times the buyer did what he needed to do.

I'm confident I would not have had the opportunity to get my offer in had not gone around the listing agent and directly to the seller.

In retrospect... the listing agent was right, the property was all but sold when I first viewed it.

The brokerage sign was marked sold at least a month before escrow closed... too many people calling on it is what I heard.

I do know I helped the sale along.. because the buyer told me he had planned to ask for some concessions after getting his offer accepted... having me in the wings meant he couldn't do that.

Want to thank all the professionals and non-professionals for taking the time to post

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-12-2012 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate