Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

163 posts, read 420,465 times

Advertisements

we were checking out a foreclosed house. It needed much repairs and I estimated the cost to be around $15-20k. The listing agent told me that the house was once sold for $700k, but now has listed it for $450k as a bank REO. Well, as I have said, it is in need of repairs and with new houses just a tad bit more expensive, I thought I would put in an offer of $420k.

The listing agent scoffed and refused to present my offer to the bank.

is this legit?

(originally from another forum that I mistaken posted this on)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,883 times
My agent has never refused to submit my offer. She offers her opinion that if I really want it I may want to bump it up a bit, but she is great and always writes it up and faxes it over. No scoffing, lectures, etc. I couldn't work with someone like that.

PS - I don't think your offer is outrageous at all considering your dealing with a bank. There is currently an REO by me that sold for $900k in 2007 as is currently listed at $325k. (6 1/2 acres, lakefront, 5000 square feet). Problem is nobody wants any house that big and the taxes are OUTRAGEOUS as it is still assessed at 1 million dollars.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,304,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin2buy View Post
My agent has never refused to submit my offer. She offers her opinion that if I really want it I may want to bump it up a bit, but she is great and always writes it up and faxes it over. No scoffing, lectures, etc. I couldn't work with someone like that.

PS - I don't think your offer is outrageous at all considering your dealing with a bank. There is currently an REO by me that sold for $900k in 2007 as is currently listed at $325k. (6 1/2 acres, lakefront, 5000 square feet). Problem is nobody wants any house that big and the taxes are OUTRAGEOUS as it is still assessed at 1 million dollars.
I am curious!!!!

Whereabouts is the listing? Do you have a link?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:20 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,899,410 times
Since she's the listing agent and the one working with the bank/asset managment company she probably already knows it's a waste of time at this point.
What you can do is go to another Realtor® and have them submit your offer to her.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
was this offer in writing? Did you sit down and write one, make out an earnest money check, give her your pre-approval letter?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
was this offer in writing? Did you sit down and write one, make out an earnest money check, give her your pre-approval letter?
I was about to ask the same thing. Did you make a written offer with a pre-app and EM check?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,783,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
we were checking out a foreclosed house. It needed much repairs and I estimated the cost to be around $15-20k. The listing agent told me that the house was once sold for $700k, but now has listed it for $450k as a bank REO. Well, as I have said, it is in need of repairs and with new houses just a tad bit more expensive, I thought I would put in an offer of $420k.

The listing agent scoffed and refused to present my offer to the bank.

is this legit?

(originally from another forum that I mistaken posted this on)
This does not sound right. Something is missing.

The house is listed at $450k
Your offer was $420k
That is 93% of listed price which is a reasonable offer.

The listing agent is required to submit all "written" offers to the seller, (along with pre-qual letters or proof or funds). That is, unless the seller has accepted a prior offer and instructs the listing agent to not submit any more offers.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
You can file a complaint against the agent. They are required to submit all offers, reasonable or not. Yours is not out of the question, in fact I would say it is a good offer.
It is not up to the agent to judge the offer, but submit it.
Go to another agent and let them know what issue you had. This way they can ask for a sign ed rejection from the owner. I will submit all offers but I let people know if they are being realistic. Wouldn't I feel foolish if their offer was accepted? Working for the buyer iit is your goal to get the lowest price possible. working for the seller is the opposite.

I would simply file a complaint with the board and get another agent to represent me on this deal

Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 AM

163 posts, read 420,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

yes, I have filed an official offer with all the fixings.

The listing agent was a bit on the questionable side when at first he refused to show me the property because I was working with my own realtor. His response "why should I show the property for free?" (I had found the property myself and could not get in contact with my realtor. Initially when I spoke to the listing agent, he said he lived nearby and could open it up for us...but as soon as he found out I already had a realtor, he gave me the cold shoulder)

Old 03-31-2009, 03:37 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
yes, I have filed an official offer with all the fixings.

The listing agent was a bit on the questionable side when at first he refused to show me the property because I was working with my own realtor. His response "why should I show the property for free?" (I had found the property myself and could not get in contact with my realtor. Initially when I spoke to the listing agent, he said he lived nearby and could open it up for us...but as soon as he found out I already had a realtor, he gave me the cold shoulder)
Then you have other issues. Where is your buyer agent in all of this? Get them to take care of it. If they aren't doing their job get a new one. I wouldn't want to do another agents work either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate