Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In North TX I don't believe you must be a Realtor to be part of our MLS. Are you sure that's the case in your area ?

Appraisers are not Realtors and participate in the MLS. I believe you can be an Independent Broker, not a Realtor and list your homes in the MLS.

Even in Houston and all over the state.
I would like to know how to do that b/c that was not what I was told....I just talked to HAR in Houston as I just got my license...You cant post on HAR without joining both...if there is a way to get onto the MLS without going through HAR, I don't know it....My broker is an individual broker, and she would very much like not to have to join the NAR...

In Houston, nobody searches anything other than HAR...I have seen properties listing exclusively through a realtor that appeared on a MLS but not HAR, and vice versa...on HAR you have the option of listing on just HAR or on HAR + MLS...obviously MLS is more exposure but carries more fees...but since nobody uses anything but HAR in Houston, the MLS addition is not really necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 10:11 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"TMLS is a wholly owned subsidiary corporation of the Raleigh Regional Association of REALTORS®."

Seems fair enough that RRAR gets to call the tune regarding TMLS member privileges.
We've had complaints here to the AG and DOJ. The complaints to the AG's office came last year, by several RMLS members (which is REALTOR run) due to that PAC fee that they added to the dues. In Oregon, when you are forced to join an organization for work, like the Teacher's Union, they can't force you to pay political fees. The AG ruled it didn't apply to REALTORS since membership isn't forced. I disagree that you can do business as a real estate agent and not belong to an MLS, but the AG didn't see it that way. I think it was an appraiser that initiated the complaint and then several agents filed complaints after they heard about his.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I would like to know how to do that b/c that was not what I was told....I just talked to HAR in Houston as I just got my license...You cant post on HAR without joining both...if there is a way to get onto the MLS without going through HAR, I don't know it....My broker is an individual broker, and she would very much like not to have to join the NAR...

In Houston, nobody searches anything other than HAR...I have seen properties listing exclusively through a realtor that appeared on a MLS but not HAR, and vice versa...on HAR you have the option of listing on just HAR or on HAR + MLS...obviously MLS is more exposure but carries more fees...but since nobody uses anything but HAR in Houston, the MLS addition is not really necessary.
If you read the by-laws you will see REALTOR membership is required. The MLS is their product so they control the rules.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
We've had complaints here to the AG and DOJ. The complaints to the AG's office came last year, by several RMLS members (which is REALTOR run) due to that PAC fee that they added to the dues. In Oregon, when you are forced to join an organization for work, like the Teacher's Union, they can't force you to pay political fees. The AG ruled it didn't apply to REALTORS since membership isn't forced. I disagree that you can do business as a real estate agent and not belong to an MLS, but the AG didn't see it that way. I think it was an appraiser that initiated the complaint and then several agents filed complaints after they heard about his.
Well, yeah, forced PAC fees stink and are wrong.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
There is a big 1 page letter that goes with the application here showing you what portion of your membership fees are deductible and what portion are not...the PAC fees which are also included in our membership are non-deductible.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
There is a big 1 page letter that goes with the application here showing you what portion of your membership fees are deductible and what portion are not...the PAC fees which are also included in our membership are non-deductible.
We didn't have that when I was a REALTOR® several years ago, but it would completely irk me. We always had the option to add $50, I think it was, for political efforts but it was voluntary. Did you have fun in your ethics class? You weren't mean to any of the other agents were you?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
We didn't have that when I was a REALTOR® several years ago, but it would completely irk me. We always had the option to add $50, I think it was, for political efforts but it was voluntary. Did you have fun in your ethics class? You weren't mean to any of the other agents were you?
I have not been required to sit for an ethics class...perhaps that goes with the 1/2 day training when you get access to the MLS? If you are referring to the ethics required just to get my license, they exempted me from that due to having my law license. The ethics of being a realtor overlap very heavily with ethics of being an attorney...perhaps the Ethics bar (MPRE) exempted me? I was only required to do the Agency class...The state did however, about 5 weeks after I started my application change the requirements...I barely squeaked in under the old rules.

I have not been mean to anyone though, I have not done anything....I am still waiting on the state to issue the license...they say it takes 10 days, and its only been 7.

I wont be mean though, Im actually quite non-confrontational...I'm just quite opinionated.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:51 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
It's difficult to be mean to people in person, because they can hurt you.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
I have not been required to sit for an ethics class...perhaps that goes with the 1/2 day training when you get access to the MLS? If you are referring to the ethics required just to get my license, they exempted me from that due to having my law license. The ethics of being a realtor overlap very heavily with ethics of being an attorney...perhaps the Ethics bar (MPRE) exempted me? I was only required to do the Agency class...The state did however, about 5 weeks after I started my application change the requirements...I barely squeaked in under the old rules.

I have not been mean to anyone though, I have not done anything....I am still waiting on the state to issue the license...they say it takes 10 days, and its only been 7.

I wont be mean though, Im actually quite non-confrontational...I'm just quite opinionated.
One DOES have to have legal and ethics courses to get a license here in Texas, and take legal and ethics courses every time the license comes up for renewal. Sometimes, legal is included in other courses where it would be pertinent. And if you were allowed to skip courses because you're an attorney, it would make sense that those would not be required because presumably you've already had ethics training as an attorney.

Also, when joining the Board, there's a required ethics class (that's in addition to the others). That's by the rules when I got my license some years ago (the one for joining the Board may or may not still be in effect, though I'd be surprised if they'd dropped it; the others are still in effect).

Old 10-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
It's difficult to be mean to people in person, because they can hurt you.
I'm not really afraid of getting hurt...if someone is going to take a swing at you over something you said then I already know everything I need to know about that person.

I am opinionated, but also polite...there is a difference....I don't think its mean or racist or rude, to interject my opinions on issues....if someone take offense to that, well that is their problem.

I don't like our President - Im vocal about it. I will voice my opinion on that issue to absolutely anyone - some will take offense to that. Those that do get their feelings hurt far too easily...I am not going to hide my beliefs in fear of hurting someones feelings.

EDIT - Within reason of course - I'm not going to call someones kids ugly or anything...I am still polite and substantially capable of reading my audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate