Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,822,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Divorce also. I almost bought a house that "sold" through a divorce decades ago. She paid all of $1 for it.

In some states, the recording fee isn't based on the amount of the house alone. There's state fees and taxes, county fees and taxes, and town/city/village fees and taxes. It's not always so cut and dry as $1 per $1000.
My best friend wants to sell me her interest in their home for a dollar in front of her soon to be ex but the property may have an IRS lean on it.:hamd :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,661,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My best friend wants to sell me her interest in their home for a dollar in front of her soon to be ex but the property may have an IRS lean on it.:hamd :
RUUUUUUUUUUN!!!! And I mean run like the wind! You do NOT want to be tangled up in that mess with or without the IRS. If the IRS is involved, you can't run fast enough! Run like Forrest!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,628,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
In 2001 the deed says is was worth (tax value I assume) $74,000 single dwelling home.
Listen to what marksmu is saying. The actual market value has nothing whatsoever to do with what the tax assessor thinks.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,516,129 times
I know of a house in Idaho that is worth maybe $150k, and has a $1M (actually $1.2 million) IRS lien on it from the owner's business. It really can happen.

Your best friend might be doing you the worst "favor" ever in the history of mankind.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times
I know of several situations.

1. An ocean front property that was passed around between multiple high dollar individuals for tax considerations. Not sure how it worked as I am not in the same economic league, but know that they were using the home to protect assets.

2. Historic home that can not be changed in anyway but may need a boat load of money to bring it back up to code. You pay a small amount to own it, and then years of hardwork and dollars to restore it.

3. Damaged structures that need more work that they are worth.

4. Worthless land. In some parts of California and Arizona you can find land that you can not build on, can't get water to, and about the only thing you can do is tell someone that you own an acre of land that you paid $10 for. (I think it is more, but you get the point.)

Old 09-27-2021, 04:59 PM

14,516 posts, read 20,734,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
To be valid a deed requires consideration...most people don't want the actual purchase price to show up on the deed....deeds are public records and neighbors are nosy.
Who decides the sale price that is shown in the records?

12 states are non-disclosure.
https://www.oceancitytoday.com/busin...ad3f9d4ec.html

Old 09-27-2021, 05:50 PM

10,372 posts, read 6,928,549 times
Quote:
Under what circumstances would someone sell a house, or property, for $10.00?

When the name of the seller (grantor) and the name of the buyer (grantee) are not the same.

1. maybe an heir or beneficiary? (but the last name is not the same)
2. maybe a gift to someone?
3. ?

Thanks.
The property is contaminated with petroleum, and the plume is entering a potable aquifer that drains into navigable waters....

Go ahead, I'll wait...

Old 09-27-2021, 06:11 PM

14,564 posts, read 12,225,315 times
It is common for deeds to say $10 - or sometimes even $1.

https://www.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a...rty_sale_price

Old 07-05-2022, 09:34 AM

14,516 posts, read 20,734,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It is common for deeds to say $10 - or sometimes even $1.
https://www.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a...rty_sale_price
Someone has some houses coming for sale and they choose their own sale prices. To get an idea of what they sold other properties for I looked in the country records looking for comparable properties that had been sold by this same seller. I noticed one that had the sale price as $1.
This was not to a relative or friend or condemned property, etc.
On that same property I clicked on deed and the deed is not showing in the county records.

So the price it sold for is being hidden from public view.
How does a buyer get $1 in the records in case of nosey neighbors, etc?
Thanks.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:45 AM

14,564 posts, read 12,225,315 times
Quote:
Under what circumstances would someone sell a house, or property, for $10.00?

When the name of the seller (grantor) and the name of the buyer (grantee) are not the same.

1. maybe an heir or beneficiary? (but the last name is not the same)
2. maybe a gift to someone?
3. ?

Thanks.
It wasn't.... $1 or $10 (plus other compensation) is a common way of writing value on Deeds, as a way of NOT disclosing the actual sale price.

Many explanations of why here:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=why...on+deed&ia=web

On edit:

WOW - old thread and same answer! I am nothing if not predicable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate