Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Where do I find comps?
Change your Zillow filter to show solds.
Be sure to comfirm data by looking at the county assessor's records.

Create a spreadsheet.
sold price
sold date
DoM
sqft house
sqft lot
comments

The last time we sold our house, I had a spreadsheet with 116 rows. It helped me see where the market had been and where it appeared to be going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Where do I find comps? When I look at zillow there are only 2 houses for sale in my neighborhood. They are both 4/3 but we are a 3/2. The are also listed at 100k more than we paid for our house, so I'm guessing they are not comps to my house lol or maybe they are wishful thinking I know.

Can't tolerate some stairs? Son can't go to middle school in your area because it is bad school districts?

These are not good reasons for vacating a place where you have renovated and upgraded it to where you like it. I think you should sit down with your hubby and evaluate the situation. Take a more long term view!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Can't tolerate some stairs? Son can't go to middle school in your area because it is bad school districts?

These are not good reasons for vacating a place where you have renovated and upgraded it to where you like it. I think you should sit down with your hubby and evaluate the situation. Take a more long term view!
I have a condition called ostiogenesis imperfectia, so no the stairs are going to become a challenge for me. When we bought the house we didnt know because I hadn't been diagnosed. I was just considered very accident prone. Then I was in the hospital for a collapsed lung due to ribs that were broken during routine surgery, and one of the doctors put two and two together after noticing the whites of my eyes have a slight blue tint. Altough I am currently very active I have had over 30 broken bones, been on crutches too many times to count, and had 8 surgeries including joint reconstruction. For me that is a good enough reason to move. Until you've delt with it don't judge.

There is nothing wrong with our schools. We just feel it's a good time to transition because he would be changing schools anyway.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Change your Zillow filter to show solds.
Be sure to comfirm data by looking at the county assessor's records.

Create a spreadsheet.
sold price
sold date
DoM
sqft house
sqft lot
comments

The last time we sold our house, I had a spreadsheet with 116 rows. It helped me see where the market had been and where it appeared to be going.

What's DoM?

Thank you

Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Dom = days on market.

Before you speak to a realtor, if you don't already know, find out what your mortgage balance is.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 AM

251 posts, read 522,919 times
Looking at your posts, I would guess you're not too real estate savvy. That's fine, we can't know everything about everything in life. With that understanding in mind, I would suggest you find three seasoned LOCAL real estate agents, preferably through recommendations of friends. Don't necessarily pick the self-proclaimed "neighborhood experts".

Have them each give you a comparative market analysis. That will give you a better picture of what your house might actually sell for. As previously mentioned, list price is not sales price in most cases. Have them each do an expected net gains estimate, to tell you what your situation is after the myriad of closing costs. The real bottom line. A good agent should be able to come pretty close to what you'll actually end up with.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks everyone

Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Houses that are "for sale" are not good comps. Sellers can ask any amount, it is meaningless. You need SOLD comps. Homes that have sold recently are a more accurate representation of the market and what your property will sell for.
Exactly what I was going to say. Only a realtor will be able to tell you if houses are selling above, below, or near the asking prices you see online. And you have to subtract 5 or 6 percent from the sale price of your home for the real estate commission. Depending on your location and the price your home sells for, any appreciation your home might have accumulated in the past 5 years could get eaten up by the sales commission and your flooring costs.

You cannot set a price on a house to "get" what you "need" to out of it. It sells for what the buyer is willing to pay.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Regarding your mortgage balance, call for payoff figure. It's bit different than just seeing the principal balance. Good lucjk and hope it works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate