Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:58 AM

15 posts, read 43,267 times

Advertisements

As buyers, the inspection failed on a new property purchase. We went to fill out WB-41 notification of defects (with a dual agent) to cancel the contract, however they had us sign a WB-45 instead, which seller hasn't signed yet. We now realize that doesn't protect us us AT ALL, as it is not effective unless all parties sign, and may put us PAST our inspection contingency period. Can we still submit the notice of defects form in the meantime? And, if not, can I report this agent since they clearly put us in a VERY bad position, when we are supposed to be clients as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Talk to your agent's managing broker. This morning.
Demand to work with the broker or at least another agent in the office to get this wrapped up.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Also document your emails in writing of your notices to the agent that you want to Terminate the Contract.

Copy the seller if you have his email. Make it very clear and be very insistent.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsweets1 View Post
I just can't explain all the bad decisions that keep happening on this (bad) deal. I'm so untrusting of this agent but I don't KNOW what's right or wrong or "normal" for real estate, and keep making mistakes. We went in to the office to submit our notice of defects and somehow ended up signing mutual release of cancellation of contract. only issue? the SELLERS hadn't signed it yet. I told the agent that if it's not signed first thing tomorrow that we are submitting a notice of defects, which he said "sure", but now I don't know if we even CAN? I mean, I think so, since the release isn't effective unless all parties sign (wb-45 if anyone is familiar)...
Why on earth didn't you have your own agent or lawyer? You aren't buying a toaster. This is important stuff.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
I just can't explain all the bad decisions that keep happening on this (bad) deal. I'm so untrusting of this agent but I don't KNOW what's right or wrong or "normal" for real estate, and keep making mistakes. We went in to the office to submit our notice of defects and somehow ended up signing mutual release of cancellation of contract. only issue? the SELLERS hadn't signed it yet. I told the agent that if it's not signed first thing tomorrow that we are submitting a notice of defects, which he said "sure", but now I don't know if we even CAN? I mean, I think so, since the release isn't effective unless all parties sign (wb-45 if anyone is familiar)...

"Somehow"??

Stop!

Please hire a pro to help you.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:36 AM

Sorry, that post was more of an emotional rant of mine (wish there was a delete option sometimes!). I actually did consult an attorney this morning who said that form is fine, and who has drafted us a notice of defects as well 'just in case' we don't get anything back from the Realtor.

As stupid as some of the mistakes I've made this last week are, it's been a huge learning experience. I now know that I'll never do another real estate contract without the assistance of a good buyers agent, and real estate attorney review. Of course, I don't think I'm allowed to even mention the words REAL ESTATE to my husband for at least 12 mths after this fiasco, lol

Anyways, I did learn a lot and get some very good advice on this real estate forum, so thank you everyone!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
It's a learning experience. :-) You don't learn this stuff overnight, and even after years, we all learn something new all the time.

Sounds like walking away is a good option for retaining your sanity. Don't let the listing agent bully you.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I actually consulted a real estate attorney this morning, and am feeling much better. He said the form the Realtor provided was valid, however he also provided a notice of defects form 'just in case' we don't get the countersigned form back from the seller by noon tomorrow. So, at this point we are covered, even if the Realtor doesn't follow through (which hopefully they will). I will never use a dual agent again though, there is just too much distrust in this situation. Live and learn, I guess!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:52 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
I don't know where you're located, but in my neck of the woods (MA) it's quite typical for buyers to sign a form/contract first and then for the sellers to countersign afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
It's a learning experience. :-) You don't learn this stuff overnight, and even after years, we all learn something new all the time.

Sounds like walking away is a good option for retaining your sanity. Don't let the listing agent bully you.
I find even after years of doing this that I learn something new on almost every transaction. Sometimes it's a small lesson like how to deal with a particular personality type and sometimes it's a larger lesson like how to deal with a mold infestation.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
unless you want to buy a fixer upper...................run, don't walk , away !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate