Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:00 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Or opening furniture drawers, turning on computers, flopping on beds or... ?

My neighbor maintains that someone went through her underwear drawers when they sold their house.

But what does any of this have to do with deciding whether to buy a house?

Do serious buyers do this?

Or are these nut cases wasting time?
Real estate agent local to me was caught on tape doing that..

Video: Realtor Accused of Stealing Homeowner’s Clothes | ARLnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Real estate agent local to me was caught on tape doing that..

Video: Realtor Accused of Stealing Homeowner’s Clothes | ARLnow.com
So it's not always the buyers. Sometimes it's the real estate agent. Fortunately, these sellers had a dropcam installed that recorded him stealing their clothes.

Perhaps we should all be installing https://www.dropcam.com/ when we put our homes on the market.

It makes sense to store jewelry and other small, easily pilfered items. No need to keep your Monets on the wall when strangers are coming through.

But you'd think your shirts would be safe.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have a client who works for Homeland Security who deals with really bad people.
He's pretty cautious about his home security system and what goes on at his house.

Some people might have a perfectly logical reason.
Does not follow.

Your client has became nuts from his job.

Being nuts is not logical.

His reason is not logical, because it is being nuts.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Does not follow.

Your client has became nuts from his job.

Being nuts is not logical.

His reason is not logical, because it is being nuts.
Nearly everyone I know who deals with criminal types is vigilant about security. I know attorneys, judges, and forensic psychiatrists who carry guns in their briefcases. All have home security systems.

It is not logical to believe folks who will kill others in a heartbeat would be reluctant to do the same to you and/or your family if you cross them.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nearly everyone I know who deals with criminal types is vigilant about security. I know attorneys, judges, and forensic psychiatrists who carry guns in their briefcases. All have home security systems.
And these are the people who deal with the real gritty part of life. The rest of us live in a Fantasy world.

There are people who pose as Buyers just to get into a home. They love to steal Prescription Drugs.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And these are the people who deal with the real gritty part of life. The rest of us live in a Fantasy world.

There are people who pose as Buyers just to get into a home. They love to steal Prescription Drugs.
Locking up prescription drugs was on the list of suggested things to do to get our home ready to go on the market.

We rented a storage locker and filled it with stuff we wanted to keep but didn't need in the house during showings. We kept our prescription drugs there and filled up weekly pill boxes that I kept in my purse.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:08 PM

494 posts, read 849,968 times
I don't see how all the stories about destroying a seller's home have anything to do with the OP's desire to take pictures.
First off, if you want to take photos, there is nothing that can be done to stop you. As long as you don't sell them, or post them on the internet or otherwise use them in a inappropriate manner, there is NO recourse the owner of the house can take against you. Just because you put up a sign doesn't obligate you to pay it any attention. We can argue whether or not you should follow the owner's instructions, but you don't have to.
Secondly, If you really want privacy you should not put your house on the open market and allow visitors. You always have the option of not listing it and then screening customers and selling it privately only by word of mouth. Or you can sell it empty. But to have any real expectation or privacy while you are letting strangers tour your home and have pictures of it on the internet is ridiculous.
Lastly, to the people who wonder why you would want to take pictures if it has lots of MLS pictures, I have found that the things that are dealbreakers (or makers) are never in the MLS pictures. Its the stuff that the seller doesn't want you to see that is usually crucial. If MLS pics were all that were necessary, there would be no need to even tour homes.
If it were me, I would snap away. If it ended up scuttling a deal, fine. I don't think I'd want a seller trying to bully me from the start anyway.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM

Most conversations wander around a bit. Not to worry.

If you're worried about strangers taking photos of you home, probably best to sell it after you and your precious belongings have moved on.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
This a another reason to pack away your personal belongings and stage a home for sale. Folks who are looking for their next home may want to take pictures of their favorites, especially the parts they really liked about them to help them remember the house after a hectic day of house hunting. Maybe its a unique butlers pantry, or where a window is placed in the room they were thinking of using for an office, that will help remind them why that house is better than the next three.
This. I've taken quick pics with my iPhone before to help me remember some specifics about the house. Sometimes, it's something I love that isn't clearly photographed on the official MLS photos, other times it's something that might be a deal breaker or that I'm not sure I could live with - again, something not often photographed on the MLS. (One thing that comes to mind is I once once very surprised to see a sunken living room in a house I was interested in. It was not apparent from the photos that you went down 3-4 steps from the foyer and dining room to reach the living room.

When I get serious about a house, I also like to sketch out a quick-and-dirty floor plan so I can determine if some specific pieces of furniture will fit - photos also help me reconstruct room dimensions, especially if there are interesting architectural features like nooks, support columns, etc.

I've also looked at a fair amount of houses where the MLS photos didn't include pics of the kitchen (usually when the kitchen needed major updating) or of the 2nd bathroom (bathroom is usually fine, just tricky to photograph.) I'm a visual learner, so it's really useful for me to have these pics to jog my memory.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 AM

548 posts, read 816,543 times
>I know attorneys, judges, and forensic psychiatrists who carry guns in their briefcases. All have home security systems.

The attorneys must be on the prosecuting side of the table. I know a bunch of criminal defense attorneys, and none particularly worry about security -- a couple even have taken payment from clients in-kind via work on their home. One has a beautiful backyard deck out out of such a deal. Skilled carptenters and plumbers do get DUIs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate