Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:46 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,137,714 times

Advertisements

I have sold two properties "AS IS" and that is what it was, as is no fixing anything.
the house I am in now will be sold as a tear down, so basically I am selling land that happens to have a building ont it. I will have removed a lot from the building before I put it on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 AM

34,111 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have sold two properties "AS IS" ...
Care to describe the sort of buyers you had?
First timers getting minimum down mortgages or older all/mostly cash?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Yup, cash buyers.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM

6,833 posts, read 11,568,031 times
I think "as is, where is" comes from the auction industry. You go to a farm auction and you buy that big John Deere combine, it's "as is"as far as condition, and it's your responsibility to figure out how to get it home.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,407,354 times
"AS IS" contracts in Florida are somewhat misunderstood. AS IS in real estate contracts must taken in the context of whether one is negotiating a residential real estate contract or a commercial real estate contract. In a residential real estate purchase and sales agreement, AS IS does not obviate the need of the Seller to disclose defects that materially effect the value of the property. Florida does not recognize caveat emptor in a residential context. If the condition of the property is noticeable obviously the Buyer is aware; if the the condition is not noticeable, such as a cracked foundation that the Seller is aware but not disclosed to the Buyer, an AS IS contract will probably not protect the Sellee.

Commercial real estate transactions however caveat emptor is still the rule.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:36 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,137,810 times
I would like to put this in a contract: "WYSIWYG" -- what you see is what you get.

As in don't ask for a discount because you wanted marble walls in the bathroom.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times
Yes, as it does mean something. It clearly means that what you see is what you are getting. You not getting the wallpaper taken down, your not getting a paint job, you not getting new appliances. You getting exactly what you see.

When my parents make the transition, me and my sister we are going to, obviously put their house up for sale, as we both have our own. We will sell it "as is", meaning other than broom sweeping and washing the windows, we are doing nothing, absolutely nothing. We both work and have no time for this, nor any interest. I will also specify to my realtor that we are under no circumstances paying any closing costs what so ever. You want the house, you pay for the closing costs....that is part of the cost of the house, it isn't the sellers responsibility...anothe of HGTV's bright ideas.

I will however have an inspection done on my own, so that way I am going to be aware if what the potential buyers inspection might find.

The price will reflect it. I am not updating any appliances, I am not painting walls. Nothing.

"as is", this is what you see, this is what you get. There is a buyer for everything, and I am not worried.....their house is really geared for a young family as there is a beautiful park a block away, and an elementary school, along with easy access to public transportation, so those factors will clearly take presidence of my moms white outdated appliances. LOL

Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM

494 posts, read 850,547 times
But isn't the same with any listing? You think the house desirable and you don't want to do repairs. That doesn't mean it's not negotiable, or that a buys won't walk away without them.
It basically just announces what you want to make a sale. It essentially is no different than a standard listing.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
But isn't the same with any listing? You think the house desirable and you don't want to do repairs. That doesn't mean it's not negotiable, or that a buys won't walk away without them.
It basically just announces what you want to make a sale. It essentially is no different than a standard listing.
I think it is different, as stated by some here, it means repairs are not negotiable. You buy the property as it stands period. Or you don't period.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM

6,491 posts, read 10,375,377 times
My best explanation is that the house is priced accordingly to its condition/average market value. The seller will not make additional repairs and/or the price is fairly firm. I would never say that the price isn't negotiable in an As-Is listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate