Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 PM

265 posts, read 597,648 times

Advertisements

I think we are confusing the word "independent" A franchise like C21 or Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices can be "independently owned and operated," meaning they are a franchisee. You can have C21 ABC and C21 Value and C21 Home Finder, and all are owned by different individuals, but are part of the same franchise.

Franchisors can also own real estate companies, as NRT does with Coldwell and other brands. These are, for lack of a better word, company owned stores.

The true independent is one who is not affiliated. Hometown Realty, Great Value Realty, etc without the nationally known name attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.mensch View Post
I think we are confusing the word "independent" A franchise like C21 or Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices can be "independently owned and operated," meaning they are a franchisee. You can have C21 ABC and C21 Value and C21 Home Finder, and all are owned by different individuals, but are part of the same franchise.

Franchisors can also own real estate companies, as NRT does with Coldwell and other brands. These are, for lack of a better word, company owned stores.

The true independent is one who is not affiliated. Hometown Realty, Great Value Realty, etc without the nationally known name attached.
I do not think any of the agents/brokers responding here were confused...We all understand the differences you clearly pointed enunciated.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Lets look at some facts.

85% of all agents that enter the real estate business, will fail out of the business, not earning enough money to live, due to lack of sales. Many will make no more than 1 or 2 sales before they leave the business and sometimes none.

As pointed out previously in this thread, the majority of new agents work for the franchised offices, not the independent offices. The majority of the small independent offices are the more experienced agents. They just cannot see any advantage to themselves, to pay the very large fees that are paid out of every sale made to the franchiser. They are more apt to give personal service on their listings, as they are not working under the idea of getting huge numbers of listings, and not really giving service to their listings.

The majority of home sales are not going to be sold by the listing office/agent, but through the multiple listing service be they independent or franchise offices that list or sell them.

The more experience the agent has, the more they will be able to advise the sellers on how to best sell their home, and make it presentable to the public. They will be able to spot potential problems, that can keep it from selling. They also are able to give better assistance to buyers, and they have learned through experience to spot problems with a home, etc.

The new agent without the knowledge and experience behind them, work as taxi drivers. They load a potential buyer in their car, and show them homes till the buyer gives up and buys one. The experienced agent, has learned how to counsel with a potential buyer and by asking a few questions can eliminate showing them a large volume of homes, but show them the homes that really fit their needs. This cuts time down for the buyer, and helps ensure that they are shown homes that they would be happy with. The ones that act as taxi drivers, may never show the buyer the best home for their needs, because they have no idea of what the needs or desires are.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Pick the best agent with whom you have the most compatibility.
It is that simple.

There is no specific advantage realized when you work with the biggest or the smallest firms. It is all about the agent service orientation and effort. There are plenty of independent bums, and just as many or more bums affiliated with national franchise firms.
Choose a good agent, and you will do OK.

The whole "suppose that independent broker gets hit by a bus" sales pitch is nearly totally irrelevant.
How often does that happen?
I have been self-employed for 12 years and haven't found that bus yet. It isn't on my calendar for tomorrow, either.
And, if the bus finds me, I know plenty of capable firm owners who will be glad to pick up the ball and run with it. That is the value of working with people across company lines. Respect and cooperation.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:23 PM

65 posts, read 75,446 times
Default My two cents worth from recent experience

[quote=MikeJaquish;36169298]Pick the best agent with whom you have the most compatibility.
It is that simple.

MikeJaquish advice, from my experience, is the best. I would also add : get as many "trustworthy" recommendations from true friends and family before deciding. Don't just go with ads, self-proclaimed expertise blah blah blah. However good the presentation, that is only skin deep. Has nothing to do with whether your interest will be protected once the contract is signed. They all are interested in their commission as they should : it's their living. You are their inventory. Having said that, you still want to get an agent who has been highly recommended by friends and family and who you find "compatible". Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate