Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 PM

42,008 posts, read 75,395,397 times

Advertisements

The decor of the house is irrelevant because .... you're not buying the stuff inside, you're just buying the house!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,674,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The decor of the house is irrelevant because .... you're not buying the stuff inside, you're just buying the house!

Not necessarily. Many owners leave crap behind. Also there will be major damage to the walls from their collections. I don't enjoy filling 10,000 nail holes and priming and painting. I have better things to do with my time. I'm guessing there are very few people who would enjoy that especially since several others have commented on the nail holes.

And I've looked at many cluttered and ugly houses. One house I was considering purchasing had more crap in it that a WalMart. One of the issues with us purchasing that house was would they really be able to empty it in 30 days....and they were leaving behind 2 metal storage units as they called them. They were metal containers used in transporting goods across the ocean. We could only imagine how much more crap was in them.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,039,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
But that does not keep us from seeing its loveliness. Not for us...but coordinated and planned and interesting and, in its totality, a work of art.
You must be related !!!
Coordinated ?? Planned??

Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,674,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
You must be related !!!
Coordinated ?? Planned??
Or they shop together and exchange "decorating" tips.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,810,263 times
Ahhh, I can just smell the potpourri! When my hubby and I were looking for our first house, we were really put off of a perfectly fine house because we were so disgusted by the incredibly amount of cutesy arts and crafts decoration. The house was neat and clean, but every available wall and surface had been thickly covered with crafts objects. We couldn't even stand being in it to look at it. It was very, very hard to look past it to see the actual house. Nowadays, we are much more experienced, but back then, as novices, we just couldn't see past the stuff.

Probably not the realtor's fault. Clearly, over-decorating is this homeowner's pride and joy. The realtor probably made a suggestion, and got shot down, and figured she'd lose the listing if she pushed. Probably will cost the owner at least 10K that she could have gotten had she decluttered.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,039,138 times
I agree that the realtor probably made suggestions but can't force the owners to declutter..

When I sold I followed most of my realtor's suggestions but a few I ignored realizing it may affect
my offers..

Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 AM

35,787 posts, read 21,167,263 times
just call the property brothers... I say leave the folks alone. I seriously do not think the stuff is preventing a sale. dang move that place to FL,,, would not last 5 minutes on the market. and why are you so worried about it? apparently the owners who would gain are not-- what is thy problem? If you showed me a dirty house would agree- but leave these folks alone!!- maybe they wont sell after all.. and this is how they are holding down the fort... control freaks ahhhhhrrrg

Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,390,640 times
When I click on the link it takes me to the entire MLS and gives me 2,546 listings so I don't know which one you are talking about.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,105,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
When I click on the link it takes me to the entire MLS and gives me 2,546 listings so I don't know which one you are talking about.
They must have changed the website.

I went to trusty ol' Zillow and the house is listed there with even bigger pictures.

243 Shadowbrook Ln NE, Huntsville, AL 35811 - Zillow

Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,941,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Not necessarily. Many owners leave crap behind. Also there will be major damage to the walls from their collections. I don't enjoy filling 10,000 nail holes and priming and painting. I have better things to do with my time. I'm guessing there are very few people who would enjoy that especially since several others have commented on the nail holes.

And I've looked at many cluttered and ugly houses. One house I was considering purchasing had more crap in it that a WalMart. One of the issues with us purchasing that house was would they really be able to empty it in 30 days....and they were leaving behind 2 metal storage units as they called them. They were metal containers used in transporting goods across the ocean. We could only imagine how much more crap was in them.
Did you actually buy a house? Any house?

You make your offer contingent. You deduct the cost of the painting and prep. And the cost of hauling the storage units (or whatever other offensive things exist).

You have a professional inspection. Contingent also.

You do a walk through the morning before you settle.

It's not very complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate