Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

Are the banks/realtors/appraisers etc just not on the ball with this?
Which of these people working for these entities want to get their hands dirty? Never had to before. It is easier to say catchy buzz phrases. None of them have ANY experience in a market like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not at all, I dont budge, my offers are usually (with some exceptions) firm, take it or leave it, they are fair offers.. They chose to list high, their choice..I have better things to do then chase some seller and hold them by the hand, showing them that their properties are overpriced in todays market, and its those properties that I'm looking at at the moment because they have a need that I need met.. i.e. square footage.

fyi, here is the last one I looked at
SJS Listing: (listing price $795K)
Then it was repo'd and relisted for $299K
Allegheny County Assessment (http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/History.asp?CurrBloLot=0213M00081000000&HouseNum=7 177&Street=ohio%20river&SingleResult=True - broken link) (sold for $186,200)

Lots of sellers out there, move to the next one because my $200K offer was more then fair.
I haven't read all your posts, but something confuses me. It seems like somebody is buying the houses you initially made offers on and they are getting them at the deeply discounted prices you desired... but for some reason it’s not you who ends up with the house. What did the other guy do that got his offer accepted at $186K vs. your rejected offer at $200K? Why weren't you around to make your offer once the house was auctioned off by the bank? I mean if you really wanted the house why weren't you the one buying it for $186K?

It seems like somebody is repeatedly beating you at your own game.

You can blame your unsuccessful deals on stubborn sellers initially, but ultimately there is somebody out there buying the house you wanted and for less to boot! I don't mean to offend you, but based on the many missed opportunities you have documented on this forum, I think the real question here is what is it that you are doing wrong?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:49 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I haven't read all your posts, but something confuses me. It seems like somebody is buying the houses you initially made offers on and they are getting them at the deeply discounted prices you desired... but for some reason it’s not you who ends up with the house. What did the other guy do that got his offer accepted at $186K vs. your rejected offer at $200K? Why weren't you around to make your offer once the house was auctioned off by the bank? I mean if you really wanted the house why weren't you the one buying it for $186K?

You can blame your unsuccessful deals on stubborn sellers initially, but ultimately there is somebody out there buying the house you wanted and for less to boot! I don't mean to offend you, but based on the many missed opportunities you have documented on this forum, I think the real question here is what is it that you are doing wrong?
Unfortunately, PGH is the pioneer showing the bank the way to make the deal. You can recognize the pioneer. He is always the one with the arrow in his back.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

The asking price of the property went from $300K, which made my $200K offer seem low, not serious, to 45 days later, when the asking price was lowered to $200K, making $186K offer seem reasonable.

Also, I heard 2-3 other offers came in between $175K - $200K within a month after my offer. Its amazing what a month will do to a seller to make them realise they over priced a property.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
Attention All RE Agents: The worm has turned. The days of choosing which offer to accept are now over.
Shouldn't you mean sellers? When does a REP choose which offer a seller should take?

And just because the media are spreading doom and gloom where you live, doesn't make it so everywhere.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,191 times
Quote:

One way to get hosed like that is by placing the first low offer.

There's a psychological factor that comes into play. If you place the first low offer, let's face it, the seller hates you, lol.

More often than not, people shoot the messenger.

So unless you want to get married to the house, and chase it for 6-12 months, somebody else will come along with a similar offer and get the house.

The best thing to do is wait a while for some lowballs to come in. Then go in and place your offer. That way you're not the "bearer of bad news".

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

There's a psychological factor that comes into play. If you place the first low offer, let's face it, the seller hates you, lol.

So unless you want to get married to the house, and chase it for 6-12 months, somebody else will come along with a similar offer and get the house.

The best thing to do is wait a while for some lowballs to come in. Then go in and place your offer. That way you're not the "bearer of bad news".
Thats one way to put it.. I got the pricing structure right, now to get the timing worked out.. haha

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Shouldn't you mean sellers? When does a REP choose which offer a seller should take?

And just because the media are spreading doom and gloom where you live, doesn't make it so everywhere.
Sellers don't make their livings from home sales. I'm one of them, and I got all the time in the world.

...and it's not gloom and doom. It's really over

Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,972 times
Quote:

Strategically, perhaps you are right, but how do you KNOW? The presentation of previous offers to a seller are NOT public knowledge, either the amount or character of the offer, or even IF they have ever taken place. Those that are listed with a real estate professional...generally you'll never know of any previous offers that weren't accepted because we have a duty to our seller, and disclosing that without the seller's permission is contrary to their best interests. Other than a seller without representation telling you (which would be stupid on their part)...I'm curious as to how you would obtain this information.

thanks.

Last edited by DavePautsch; 01-02-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePautsch View Post
Strategically, perhaps you are right, but how do you KNOW? The presentation of previous offers to a seller are NOT public knowledge, either the amount or character of the offer, or even IF they have ever taken place. Those that are listed with a real estate professional...generally you'll never know of any previous offers that weren't accepted because we have a duty to our seller, and disclosing that without the seller's permission is contrary to their best interests. Other than a seller without representation telling you (which would be stupid on their part)...I'm curious as to how you would obtain this information.

thanks.
Easy.

I don't look at houses with my agent.

I recommend to anyone, make the selling agent show the house. If you can read people, it's a must. No matter what they say to you, attitude and body language speak volumes.

Aside from that, when you're alone in the house with them things do get said, especially when they're hungry and they want the house to go at any price. Just make sure you do the deal with your own agent, or attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate