Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Should I leave some extra boxes of tile for the new owner to use in case of repairs? I am cleaning out my garage and I have several boxes of the tile. One of the tile colors is at a high risk of being discontinued. If yes, I should leave some, then how many boxes should I leave? One?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
What would you do with them? Leaving 2-3 pieces is enough.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:33 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I leave leftover tile and cans of paint, so colors can be matched if repairs are done in the house. Note on can lid about which room or where the pain was used.

I've also left spare baseboard when I had it. I leave leftover roof shingles if I've got them.

Stuff specific to the house is normally left for the new owner. I always leave it and I normally receive it when I purchase a new house.

Just don't leave stuff that you don't want and that the new owner might be able to use or want. No barbecues or pool cues. Just stuff to match the house in case of repairs.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:44 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Hardwoods, tiles, carpet, etc... anything that is part of the house is usually left in the attic or garage. They are good for spot repairs or extending out to match larger areas.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:50 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Should I leave some extra boxes of tile for the new owner to use in case of repairs? I am cleaning out my garage and I have several boxes of the tile. One of the tile colors is at a high risk of being discontinued. If yes, I should leave some, then how many boxes should I leave? One?

Thanks.
In our last house we left that kind of stuff behind when we sold. We knew the new home owner would appreciate not having to go out and find matches.

With our current house, the homeowners left behind all the paint they used in the house, which has been a lifesaver of the years as we've needed to do a LOT of touchups in the eight years we've been in the house!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 AM

409 posts, read 872,722 times
I would leave them. The last 2 houses I brought the previous owners left boxes of tile, boxes of wood flooring, old paint, and boxes of grout. I never had a problem with them. Actually having the grout color that was used in the bathroom came in handy. If I don't use any of that stuff I will just leave them for the next owner.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Thanks guys. Looks like the consensus is to leave them. As y'all stated, the reason why I would leave them is the off-chance that a tile repair is needed and I don't want the person to have a hard time trying to obtain a match. One of the tiles is a porcelain that arrived fresh off the boat from Italy and the color really can't be found easily stateside unless it's a specialty store.

I have about six boxes of the import Italian tile and about three extra boxes of a more common tile that is sold by Marrazzi. The Marrazzi can be easily obtained in a store. So, should I keep one box of both and discard extra, or keep all? Looks like yall are saying it'd be helpful if I left all. I guess I can stack it in a corner or something. I do intend to leave all of the paint cans (there are a lot, though).

Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Ask your buyers what they would like.
They will probably appreciate the thought.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
What would you do with the tile if you took it? Is there enough to reuse somewhere else? If you would have no use for it, I'd leave it all - they may need to do repairs, or if there is enough, they might add tile to an area that isn't currently tiled.

I left all my extra tile, plus all the paint cans labelled with each room. I also left furnace filters, fridge filter, and light bulbs because they were all specific to the particular models in that house.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:20 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Leave it all.

A few boxes of tiles, regardless of how "rare" are not enough to do a new project and are useless to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate