Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

There is a great difference between a mobile/manufactured home, and a modular home. Mobile/manufactured homes are mounted on a frame with wheels. They can be in single wide, double wide, and triple wide configurations.

Modular homes are moved on trailers without wheels to the building lots in sections.

Mobile/manufactured homes are built under one building code.

Modular homes are built to UBC specifications the same as stick built homes.

An example of a modern modular home, just under 3,000 sq. ft.

Carlisle Floorplan of Classic Collection - Modular Home - All American Homes

Mountain View Floorplan of Ameri-Log Collection - Modular Home - All American Homes

Or a modest 1,500 sq. ft. starter home

Greenwood Floorplan of Generation Collection - Modular Home - All American Homes

Modular homes are used at some of the finest ski towns, sold to the very affluent, in many parts of the nation. They can be built as single family homes, and as multi story luxury condos. They are used for motels and hotels, with top brand names out in front. They build modular office buildings many places.

Too many people only know what a mobile/manufactured home looks like. They do not recognize a good quality modular if they did not see it being moved in, and would think it was stick built.

And yes, a quality modular home does appreciate in value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:57 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Modular homes ARE treated the same as site built homes by lenders because they conform to building codes. Manufactured homes are treated as manufactured homes because they conform to HUD standards.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ EXACTLY!!!!!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is a great difference between a mobile/manufactured home, and a modular home. Mobile/manufactured homes are mounted on a frame with wheels. They can be in single wide, double wide, and triple wide configurations.

Modular homes are moved on trailers without wheels to the building lots in sections.

Mobile/manufactured homes are built under one building code.

Modular homes are built to UBC specifications the same as stick built homes.

An example of a modern modular home, just under 3,000 sq. ft.

Carlisle Floorplan of Classic Collection - Modular Home - All American Homes

Mountain View Floorplan of Ameri-Log Collection - Modular Home - All American Homes

Or a modest 1,500 sq. ft. starter home

Greenwood Floorplan of Generation Collection - Modular Home - All American Homes

Modular homes are used at some of the finest ski towns, sold to the very affluent, in many parts of the nation. They can be built as single family homes, and as multi story luxury condos. They are used for motels and hotels, with top brand names out in front. They build modular office buildings many places.

Too many people only know what a mobile/manufactured home looks like. They do not recognize a good quality modular if they did not see it being moved in, and would think it was stick built.

And yes, a quality modular home does appreciate in value.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Mr. Autumn, please tell the court if there was a time your house had wheels underneath it and was moved along a highway.

Thank you, no further questions!
I am a Mrs.as you would have know had you looked at my profile pic,and no I have never lived in a mobile home,but my next home will probably be a modular.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:09 AM

29 posts, read 20,826 times
You've got to be kidding me,how can anyone still not know that a Modular home is NOT a Trailer/Mobile home!

...We're not redneck enough

Old 12-06-2014, 03:27 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Thank you for setting the record straight. I, too, thought a modular home was the same as a manufactured home. Today's trailers look fairly nice and can be purchased fairly inexpensively, but they are costly to move and are not built to withstand common natural disasters. Trailers never appreciate in value, because they are not built to the same standards as a house. They are still a viable option, though, for those who just want to get out of their parents' basement. The problem today, though, is that land costs so much.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Thank you for setting the record straight. I, too, thought a modular home was the same as a manufactured home. Today's trailers look fairly nice and can be purchased fairly inexpensively, but they are costly to move and are not built to withstand common natural disasters. Trailers never appreciate in value, because they are not built to the same standards as a house. They are still a viable option, though, for those who just want to get out of their parents' basement. The problem today, though, is that land costs so much.

Actually, I stand corrected that mobile homes are still being manufactured,somewhere I had read that 1973 was the last year,however,modulars are most definitely NOT on a permanent chassis,as mobile homes are,and are NOT financed the same way.They are treated by financial institutions exactly the same as a stick built home.

I agree that Trailers/Mobile Homes are still an option for some,hopefully not in tornado alley!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:22 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

Many mobile homes are set on leased ground in Mobile Home Parks. Some parks are upscale and ground rent may not be cheap when facilities and services are provided.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:24 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
I think it all comes down "tornado attraction factor".
After you measure the TAF of a house, where does it fall on the continuum?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default Correct; especially the ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Lived in a modular home less than 2 years old. Bottom line, I felt like I was living in a trailer.
You're right; that's the feel. And I some million dollar condos I've been in feel like tip out RV trailers. In fact, the layout plan is almost exactly the same. And the same size.

The ceiling pitch was the first things I noticed, but not any more. We broke up the trailer park look by rose arbors and judicious placing of shrubs. There're not too close to the walls plastic siding so you don't get that sticky plant junk; leave room to walk an adult between the landscaping and the wall. Fortunately it's a corner lot with lots of land to work with. Led lights make it look "normal".

But she's got to lose the oversize chocolate furniture set, with two, not one, recliner chairs. What were they thinking??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate