Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times

Advertisements

Today the buyer's inspection takes place. We listed our house on Sunday and had 2 offers immediately! Today is Wednesday and on Sunday a Realtor with another buyer told me they noticed a squirrel hole in my soffit. I was unaware and immediately lined up a repair to be done. Coincidentally, the inspection has been scheduled for the same time the carpenter will be here. Should I cancel the repair work I had scheduled?

Other questions:

*Yesterday we were walking around the house looking it over from an inspectors viewpoint. My DH decided he should really paint a frame in the garage that was stained. Its on a wall where we had a french drain installed several years ago, and the stain was from prior water before the french drain. So he bought kilz and painted it and now it looks obvious. So he piled a whole bunch of old paint cans in front of it. i think that's a terrible idea.
I think we should put the paint cans back in the closet and just leave the wall as it is, even if the paint looks bright. What do you think?

*Last night I decided to clean under the kitchen sink. It was kind of wet under there so I cleared it out and started scrubbing and the shelf liner tore and I discovered a hole under the shelf liner (house is pier and beam) that we had no idea was there! Apparently the prior owner had patched the hole with cardboard and then installed adhesive liner over the whole cabinet bottom to conceal the hole. I have enough time to do a quick repair this morning, but my concern is that it was wet under the sink......should I tell the inspector about the wet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
In my opinion, you should proceed with the repairs and let the inspector know that you are being proactive on them. He will probably note the damage but also note the repair in progress. Ideally, all of these should have been done already but better that you take care of it now than after being asked by the buyer as a result of the inspection.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Should I cancel the repair work I had scheduled?
I would just get the repair work done. It is what it is (and it's good that you're repairing it).

Quote:
So he bought kilz and painted it and now it looks obvious. So he piled a whole bunch of old paint cans in front of it. i think that's a terrible idea.
This is probably not a big concern, but if it's apparent that you're trying to hide something here, they'll wonder what else you're hiding.

Quote:
.....should I tell the inspector about the wet?
He'll probably notice it anyway...but why is it wet? Do you have a leak which needs fixing? If so, fix it--whether or not the inspector finds it.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:25 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
+1 for the advice given

Go ahead & fix everything on your list including the sink base.. (any inspector worth his salt will check the sink base & find the leak anyway)

You can't predict how the buyers will react & no sense worrying about it.

You've obviously got lots of interest in the home, so if this buyer were to flake, you could be back on the market & under contract again next sunday with buyer #2, and no worries.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
I guess you know there's a time limit for due diligence, for one thing.

I wonder about the water under the sink too. Hate to say it but if this has been there from the last owner what is it like under the sink cabinet floor? Mold? Rotting?

You need to FIRST check what's under the cabinet floor. Is there a basement or crawl space under that area you can check on? Since it's been so long there may be some rotting of the house wall in that area.

Then fix the cause of the wetness or you"ll do your work and then it'll be wet again. Leaky pipe, disposal; maybe issue with caulking/seal around the sink-counter connection area; maybe even where the counter is not sealed to the wall/backsplash. Maybe a counter or sink crack.

Why the one hole area? That could be an indication of where the water is leaking above it....or maybe just where the water settled on a squishy board.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by cully; 12-10-2014 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I guess you know there's a time limit for due diligence, for one thing.

I wonder about the water under the sink too. Hate to say it but if this has been there from the last owner what is it like under the sink cabinet floor? Mold? Rotting?

You need to FIRST check what's under the cabinet floor. Is there a basement or crawl space under that area you can check on? Since it's been so long there may be some rotting of the house wall in that area.

Then fix the cause of the wetness or you"ll do your work and then it'll be wet again. Leaky pipe, disposal; maybe issue with caulking/seal around the sink-counter connection area; maybe even where the counter is not sealed to the wall/backsplash. Maybe a counter or sink crack.

Why the one hole area? That could be an indication of where the water is leaking above it....or maybe just where the water settled on a squishy board.

Keep us posted.
We've owned the house since 1998; this is a very new drip. I took a crow bar and yanked out a section of the cabinet bottom and the fiberboard was swollen and wet at the surface, but dry about 1/8" down. Have checked below with flashlight (crawl space) and it looks all good but I'm sure the inspector will be under the house, too.

Plumber is coming still this morning....

Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Keep going with repairs. Write down what you found and repairs you made as part of your disclosures.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:08 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Areas to also check for where that drip is coming from. Rain, even a little, over years can cause damage when it gets in. Check for signs of water rot on the outside windowsill if you have one near the sink. Water can get in under the sill and go down between the walls or between the wall and backsplash and head downward.

Check the gutters for clogs...can mean going up there to take a look because a clog is not always evident to the eye.

And take a look at flashing in the window area. And whether you're in a wind tunnel. Some things may be there but may need to be beefed up.

Also remember to check under neighboring cabinets because that wet area most likely expanded.

Keep us posted. Water can be a real sneaky mystery sometimes and I love to learn more about its possibilities.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
If you have two back up buyers who cares
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate