Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:00 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There's been a plethora of these similar topics lately :/

Can't you see what your problem is? You've been searching for an elusive unicorn that doesn't exist. .
I agree. 18 months of looking. Doesn't want to live in an HOA neighborhood, so why look there? Doesn't want to deal with highway noise, why look at the house?

Your choice when looking at houses is dictated mostly by one thing - budget. Accept that you've found the best house within your budget, that this move is happening and as the first respondent to this thread said - grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,001,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarick View Post
I think the reason HOAs work is because like minded people like to live around like minded people. So if you love uniformity and control you are going to gravitate toward an HOA. Personally I hate the idea that a person believe another's value is any of my responsibility and until those people pay my bills they have no say over my life. But that is just me.. and I will have chickens in my backyard if I want no matter what anyone says.
This is why you shouldn't regret passing on the HOA house. When there are restrictions, they have ways of enforcing them. I personally would not live in a neighborhood with an HOA, at this point in my life. I have a huge aviary with loud cockatiels, and I like to walk around in my undies. I value privacy, nature, and the freedom to do what I want above all else. You hit the nail on the head about like-minded people. My neighborhood is perfect for us because everyone feels the same way and they probably walk around in their undies too.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:40 PM

129 posts, read 189,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Aren't you the person that took out the decibel meter to measure the traffic noise?
Yup. Hated it before I bought and after. But I just couldn't talk my wife out of this one because she was so done looking. It was either force her to keep looking or give up. I gave up. Knew I would regret it, but didn't know I would regret that one decision even more because of it.. because it was in my mind a far better option to deal with than this.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
I know what you mean, OP. I think HOAs and strict apartment complexes, etc. etc. etc. can all kiss my fanny. I always wonder how it is that people have nothing better to do than pick apart the yards, houses and day-to-day behaviors of their neighbors. What a sad, boring and totally lame life.

As for your home, honestly, it seems like you need to suck it up and do what you can to make it "home." The noise may not wind up bothering you as much as you think. We live directly in front of the train tracks, and I thought the train would drive me insane. It really doesn't bother me, though. It only took a few weeks to get used to it. Plus, there are plenty of ways to "soundproof" your home. Heavy curtains and shades, a white noise machine, a fan, etc. can all help.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 AM

129 posts, read 189,282 times
welp.. was down getting ready to paint and found that one of my basement walls curves out. Did not notice this, nor did the inspector. It is one of those half height walls and when I say curves I mean the corners are 1.5" deeper than the middle of the wall. It looks like whoever built this house in the 60s was high when pouring the foundation walls. What did I pay the inspector for?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Thumbs up *

GOOD im glad your getting ready to paint!!!!

DONT LET THEM BULLY YOU!!!!!!!!!! -- Im proud of you buddy!!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I know what you mean, OP. I think HOAs and strict apartment complexes, etc. etc. etc. can all kiss my fanny. I always wonder how it is that people have nothing better to do than pick apart the yards, houses and day-to-day behaviors of their neighbors. What a sad, boring and totally lame life ...
The HOA I live in doesn't work that way at all. I've been here nine years. I have no idea who's on the HOA committee and they certainly aren't "pick[ing] apart the yards, houses and day-to-day behaviors of their neighbors." I appreciate the fact that they keep up our common spaces nicely and our park is a fun place for families to go. I also assume they enforce the reasonable rules about front yards and public streets since no one around me has a rusted out car on blocks, garbage cans on their front porch, yards full of knee-high weeds, and dogs running around unleashed — all things I see commonly right near where I live. People can do whatever they want to do in their back yards and inside their homes. They can have pets, children, dirty rooms, unfinished interior projects and wild parties if they want to.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Quote:
welp.. was down getting ready to paint and found that one of my basement walls curves out. Did not notice this, nor did the inspector. It is one of those half height walls and when I say curves I mean the corners are 1.5" deeper than the middle of the wall. It looks like whoever built this house in the 60s was high when pouring the foundation walls. What did I pay the inspector for?

Is this drywall you are talking about? Easy fix. Common in older homes. 1.5 inches? CMON man.....

You are going off the rails here and perhaps need a mental adjustment.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
GOOD im glad your getting ready to paint!!!!

DONT LET THEM BULLY YOU!!!!!!!!!! -- Im proud of you buddy!!

Who are you talking about? Who's "them"?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:20 AM

587 posts, read 916,110 times
Quote:

What can I do to get past this?
Don't second guess yourself on passing on the first house. You can't change that and you had good reasons to turn it down.

Could you continue to look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate