Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 AM

45 posts, read 252,857 times

Advertisements

Actually he likes the part of Bradenton that is east of 75. Namely Lakewood Ranch, Greyhawk Landing and the like. The developments are newer and the schools are all A rated from grade school through high school. Bradenton itself seems to be rather large with many different areas. As an out-of-state buyer it is hard for me to get the venacular right. I guess I need to stop saying 'east Bradenton'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyohboyohboy View Post
Actually he likes the part of Bradenton that is east of 75. Namely Lakewood Ranch, Greyhawk Landing and the like. The developments are newer and the schools are all A rated from grade school through high school. Bradenton itself seems to be rather large with many different areas. As an out-of-state buyer it is hard for me to get the venacular right. I guess I need to stop saying 'east Bradenton'.
In local terms, "Out East"

Old 01-06-2008, 06:47 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
don't worry.
quickly: we had our home under contract (in NY you have to have an attorney approve or disapprove within three days) and we were in day 1 of the contract. There was a snowstorm and we decided to stay home from going to look at homes in our new destination 4 hours away. We start doing projects-TONS of laundry, taking trash out of the cans and through it in the laundry room to take out in the morning...
flash forward to the next morning and at a moments notice we decide to go on the trip anyway and dropped everything to get on the road. We get a call while we are way and someone wants to look-we say no since we were under contract.
Fast forwar-they went in our home anyway and decided to offer us $8K over what the other people were offering, which was over our asking price. We had the attorney disapprove the first contract and we went under contract with the new people.
The house was A MESS! The laundry was all over the floor as I was about to fold it when we decided to leave for the trip after all...Husband left two bags of stinky trash in the laundry room and forgot to take them out to the garage in our hurry...Dirty underwear, both of ours, laying at the top of the steps as we were rushing to get out of the house to get on the road. AWFUL.
A week later after we went under contract they wanted their parents to come see it-I made it sparkle.
Point? When someone knows what they are looking for, they can see past stuff. At least they could and we could when looking. (at least some stuff) They KNEW they should not have been in our home and knew that we left last minute. I am sure the people who came through knew they gave you a last minute call.
You never know. When your number is called, the home just sells

Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 AM

45 posts, read 252,857 times
My agent called yesterday with more questions from the potential buyers' agent. Seems they have lots of questions about our sump pump. The questions are pretty funny though. Like "Where does the water come from?" Ummmm, ground water. (the shower, the dishwasher, we are currently draining our neighbor's pool this way). "What happens when the sump pump is not on?" Then there is no water in the pit, or in case of power failure the backup system kicks in. (We go swimming in our new indoor pool). I just hope we have a live one here and they'll want to come back for a second peek followed by a decent offer. All body parts crossed! (which will make it really hard to get through the day)
Anne

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyohboyohboy View Post
My agent called yesterday with more questions from the potential buyers' agent. Seems they have lots of questions about our sump pump. The questions are pretty funny though. Like "Where does the water come from?" Ummmm, ground water. (the shower, the dishwasher, we are currently draining our neighbor's pool this way). "What happens when the sump pump is not on?" Then there is no water in the pit, or in case of power failure the backup system kicks in. (We go swimming in our new indoor pool). I just hope we have a live one here and they'll want to come back for a second peek followed by a decent offer. All body parts crossed! (which will make it really hard to get through the day)
Anne
Hey, when we were first time buyers I didn't even know what a sump pump was. You could have a first time buyer on your hands or maybe a female like myself who had no clue. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
how horrifying for you! i am so sorry. but YES maybe good luck! i had this happen once during our showing days. our refrigerator had conked out the nite before so i was busy getting rid of all the food (made trips to an apartment complex dumpster down the road because i couldnt put it in our own trashcan to rot for 5 days) and busy calling repair men and then i get the call that a showing will be taking place in 30 mins. i rushed around like a madwoman straightening and was COVERED in sweat when they arrived! well, we had an offer that day (on the day that i felt the house looked it's worst! though it actually looked perfect but it was the one day that i slacked!). it's horrible having to always be ready for a showing isnt it? good luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:23 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Don't beat yourself up over it. When I go to buy, I'll be on a dead run to find a house out of state as fast as I can. I will be grateful to be let in to look at a house on short notice, and I will understand if it's a bit messy.
As someone whose house has been for sale for 9 months, I KNOW it's not possible to keep up the spit and polish every second of every day for a long time. I will be put off by longterm neglect, not an unmade bed or some dishes in the sink.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,663 times
I can empathize with you ladies. My husband started a job in NC in Sept. Three kids and I stayed behind to sell our home. Hoping our luck changes soon! Hang in there! Incidentally I am from NJ originally...grew up in the Pemberton/Mt. Holly area.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Well most people dont care or even see their own mess. I go into strange homes all day long. Many to most people say sorry for the mess. I always answer with "thats ok Im not looking at your miess".

I guess this was a week ago now. Hope you had some offers. This post caught my eye because we may be facing the same thing where I might have to leave first. Not too fun. Ummm...... well it might be on the other hand.

Hmmmmmm

Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Point? When someone knows what they are looking for, they can see past stuff. At least they could and we could when looking. (at least some stuff) They KNEW they should not have been in our home and knew that we left last minute. I am sure the people who came through knew they gave you a last minute call.
You never know. When your number is called, the home just sells...
Some people can't look past stuff.

Since your home was sold at above listed price, I presume it was sold prior to the market down turn. If it sold after the market dropped, then you probably havea very desirable home in a highly desirable location, and had a lot of luck. I'm happy for you, but I don't want people to get the idea that it's ok to keep a home cluttered that's on the market and expect everyone can look past the clutter because they can't.

It is work to keep a home in showing condition, and I realize that; especially for a mother who also works outside the home. Many times I see terrible photos of very cluttered and messy rooms on the MLS, and people rely on those photos do determine if they want to see the home. Homes with bad photos probably get fewer showings.

The home should be cue tip clean and staged to show off the best features of the home. Builders models are never messy with dirty under wear lying around. Well they are that way for a reason. They spend a lot of money decorating those homes to make them more desirable, and any mess lying around would detract from the beauty, and could turn away prospective buyers.

People will not tell you that they are not buying your house because they can't see beyond the clutter. They just won't make an offer.

In today's market one needs every thing working for them - everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate