Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,467,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our new house.
$350 to replace window wall handles. The aluminum ones failed and they were replaced by stainless steel ones.
$450 to window wall latch after 2+ years. One-year warranty.
$900 for backup sump pump and battery.
$3000 to fix issues related to water table.
$1000 to replace Bosch dishwasher installed by developer with better Bosch dishwasher.
$4000 for window coverings.
I have had many clients come crying to me about builders that I 100% know to be very conscientious in selecting quality materials and following recommend methods of construction but the pace of change means that often what was the "right product" a few years ago in no longer profitable for the manufacturer.

Even "name brand" firms get sucked into the cycles of consumer tastes shifting and then making panicked "revisions" that are hurriedly retrofitted into service to appease people fuming made that the "new" stuff does not last half as long as it should...

Anything that has "digital features" changes so darned quick and has burned so many builders that it generally EXCLUDED from home warranties...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:39 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,794,200 times
Thanks to all answering my question. I had hoped to be there during inspection to be around in case he wanted to show me things (like the shutoffs -- good point -- I need to find them!).

To the OP...$300-2000 is not a lot to spend recitfying or updating things. While I've never had a new house, people that buy them tell me there are issues there as well. Sometimes builders use cheap materials and things break, or sometimes the house settles, or needs a sump pump.

We just bought a house and are updating a bunch of things...and there have been a few surprises (like the realtor had the painters paint over wallpaper (when we thought a couple rooms were freshly/properly painted), confusing electrical switches, etc. Luckily nothing big. I do think the inspection was thorough (lots of pics and detailed report). I was just annoyed with the realtor because *we* are paying for the inspection so we should be able to be present! and it is a good time to measure things etc. And some things the inspector doesn't do that I could have, eg. he doesn't check all windows because he's "not a window guy"...I could have checked them myself...some are missing hardware and won't open...I think the realtor didn't want us to see things like that.

Good luck to the OP.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,220,638 times
Wow dude... you have spent a whole $300.00 fixing a few minor things. Let me tell you a secret... buying new or existing there are always areas where you can throw money. You are projecting your buyers remorse onto the inspector. Look in the mirror and seriously ask yourself if you are cut out to be a homeowner. God forbid you get an issue like a heating system going out.

The items you describe are nothing major for older existing homes and easily remedied. The foundation level is only an issue if you make it so and easily fixed during a flooring install.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
You'd have to prove that the problems existed tehn and likely the judgement would just be for inspection cost at most. Obviously you use the drain before so its broken since. note these are all thing you noticed; it just took months. I take it you house isn't new or it would have a warranty with the builder.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:56 AM

14,258 posts, read 14,780,819 times
My last two home purchases were new homes. I got to watch and inspect as they were being built. Myself, I prefer new homes. Yes things can go wrong and have to be addressed (leaky roof, wall board cracks, cranky garage door opener, etc.) even in new builds but they are usually minor things. In an old house, who knows what one will find.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:14 AM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarick View Post
I was there, but I don't know stuff and I didn't go with him everywhere. I didn't go with him under the stairs. I didn't follow him around the whole basement. I asked him about stuff, but I really don't know a lot. Maybe this is where due diligence comes in, but I feel like I need to be a construction engineer to buy a house. Also.. he was kinda rushed. he kept saying he had a noon appt.. that should have clued me in, but at the time it didn't occur to me. I was comparing his report to the report on my last and first house... his report was a sad comparison. The last guy got pics of everything.
I think I am frustrated, because here I am moving in and Keep finding problem after problem that I can't find anywhere in my report. The guy left saying this house is in good condition for it's age. No major issues except the roof (which was repair by the seller). Yet here I am and now nearly $300 out of pocket dealing with small problems that have cropped up since buying this house.
If you think spending $300 is a major issue then that explains it. Sounds like a house that is in good shape for not being new.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:57 AM

129 posts, read 189,451 times
Not just that.. I just got done shimming my bed downstairs nearly 1/4" on one side because of my unlevel slab. My bathroom downstairs will need nearly 1/2" of leveling concrete in order to make it flat.
I guess I am just disappointed because I wasn't in love with this house in the first place and now I am dumping cash into it.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,358,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In a word... No.

Short of the maliciousness level or some sort of truly gross and obvious...
you can be certain that the contract includes adequate protection for (most) errors or omissions.
Most likely this. Your best bet might be Barking's suggestion of giving him a call and maybe he'd refund the inspection fee. But a "passing" inspection certainly isn't a guarantee that there's nothing wrong.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:33 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,220,638 times
Quote:
Not just that.. I just got done shimming my bed downstairs nearly 1/4" on one side because of my unlevel slab. My bathroom downstairs will need nearly 1/2" of leveling concrete in order to make it flat.
I guess I am just disappointed because I wasn't in love with this house in the first place and now I am dumping cash into it.

Maybe you should put some flooring in. IS the wife making you sleep in the basement? With all the moaning over nickel and dime stuff, I would imagine so.

Man up.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:16 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,253,742 times
Quote:

Spending $300.- isn't 'dumping' cash into a newly purchased home. That's nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate