Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:43 AM

730 posts, read 1,314,577 times

Advertisements

Which of these web sites is more accurate and up to date? Is there anything else about either web site that would be helpful to know?

Is there another better web site when one is beginning their house hunt from a distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Realtor.com is more accurate bc it feeds directly from mls, where much of zillow requires manual input. Zillow sold data tends to be pretty accurate. Zestimates are crap, don't look at the.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Redfin. I don't waste my time with the others as I find their interfaces clunky; I can customize my Redfin searches and receive up to the minute alerts via email or mobile. Zestimates are useless btw.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Zillow went downhill even more last month when half of the listings I have in my saved area disappeared. Supposedly it something to do with them not working with a service anymore that pulls from certain mls. If I am going to miss that many listings from Zillow, i have no need to use it any longer.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Redfin. I don't waste my time with the others.
I've heard great things about Redfin but have never been able to see for myself since they do not include the area I'm currently in or the area out of state that I'm moving to.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
That's too bad. We just sold with them (FANTASTIC) and I use their searches in three different states. Their site provides more info than the others, especially in non-disclosure states.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 AM

730 posts, read 1,314,577 times
Thanks, I've not ever heard of Redfin but will surely try it. Otherwise, I'll stick with Realtor.com. I've been using Zillow and thought it was OK, but doesn't sound like it's worthwhile.

Again, everyone, thank you!!!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Go to the area to which you are relocating.
Search for an agent, or firm, who offers a VOW website and search.
You will have to register, but the VOW sites are without question the best search sites available on the internet.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Here's the problem: With almost any of the internet websites, it's "garbage in, garbage out" -- they can only report the information that they are fed. In my area, we are required to list with not one, but two MLSs. It's absolutely fascinating to see the difference in how the information from each MLS is picked up. The exact same information is fed to both MLSs, and Zillow picks up from both MLSs -- and you'll often see the home listed twice on Zillow, with completely different Zestimates, square footage, etc. It's comical. Half-baths gets turned into full baths, square footage is often taken from tax records instead of entered information (tax records are often not up to date), etc.

Your best bet is going to be, as MikeJaquish said, to find a local real estate agent with a robust search program and one that can set you up on alerts as new listings hit the market. Zillow says they will -- but in this fast-moving market, a "new listing" on Zillow will often have multiple offers by the time you see it on Zillow, because it's two days old. It's new to Zillow . . . but not necessarily new to the market. Realtor.com, in this area, picks up and posts new listings within 15-20 minutes. I can't speak for the rest of the country. In our area, Realtor.com is more accurate; but the lack of editing is a little frustrating for agents.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM

248 posts, read 341,039 times
Zillow often has houses listed as still for sale when they are also in the 'recently sold' category. It seems to be pretty much a mess.

I agree about Redfin but they have limited territory and will often have a disclaimer that there is no agent in that specific location that is associated with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate