Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 09:33 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Only in America do people with garages put their junk. While their new car in the driveway is pounded by sun and Hail.
This is why I require a basement AND a garage. The garage is for my car, and the basement is to store my stuff.

And it must be an attached garage with an opener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:32 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Do you have a basement in your home? If not it would be a deal breaker for me. A single story slab house with no basement and no garage on the lot is basically like living in a mobile home.
3 years ago I looked at a single story 3/1 slab home with no garage but a good size (9600 sq ft) lot. It was listed by a bank at $199K which was a great price for the area on a lot that big. Today, homes on the same street, same builder (1950-ish) slab on grade with no garage are selling for $425K-450K. I didn't end up buying that house, but it would have been a good purchase none the less even if some people turn their nose up at that style.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
Given a choice, I wouldn't even live in a house with a 1 car garage. A 2 car is a must. One of my favorite things, when I moved from an apartment into my first (and only) house was that it has room to park both my husband's and my cars. Winters are cold and icy here, and I would much rather get into a (relatively) warm car in the mornings and not have to scrape my windshield. Plus the added security of parking the cars indoors is nice. If I lived back east and had no choice, I'd do it, but I wouldn't like it.

As for the slab, I agree it depends where you live. But even if there is no basement, I prefer a crawl space to a slab. Much easier to fix plumbing problems, or run new electrical lines, etc. There are a few houses on slab around here, and a few with basements, but most are on crawl spaces.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Personally I dislike basements so I would choose a home on a slab or crawl space before a basement.
The garage is not an issue either way, if there is a garage fine, if not fine.
If I like the home itself the lack of a garage would not make me look elsewhere to purchase.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,574 times
Sure would, and I would build a 40' x 60' shop.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally I dislike basements so I would choose a home on a slab or crawl space before a basement.
The garage is not an issue either way, if there is a garage fine, if not fine.
If I like the home itself the lack of a garage would not make me look elsewhere to purchase.
I don't see how anyone cannot love basements. They often are not one of the prettier areas of the home but having one makes it easier to store large items you would not want visible in the actual living areas of your home and as mentioned earlier they make it easier to fix any electrical/pipe issues. I'd take a basement house anyday over ones without one.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
I don't see how anyone cannot love basements. They often are not the one of the prettier areas of the home but having one makes it easier to store large items you would not want visible in the actual living areas of your home and as mentioned earlier they make it easier to fix any electrical/pipe issues. I'd take a basement house anyday over ones without one.

I don't see how anyone can argue with the choice of someone else.
I do not like basements, end of story, no discussion necessary.

Accept the fact that what you like is your choice and what I like is my choice and move on.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
This is why I require a basement AND a garage. The garage is for my car, and the basement is to store my stuff.

And it must be an attached garage with an opener.
Our garage is attached, but strangely there is no direct access into the house from the garage. It's kind of weird, but on the plus side, it's one less entrance into the house if someone were to get into the garage. I would prefer to have a basement, but at least we don't have to worry about it flooding. I'm looking at the positives. LOL

Our crawl space is really quite nice and well built and supposedly it's got a four foot clearance. I'm only five feet tall so I guess I'm the lucky one if we need to put stuff down there.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:27 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
I live an hour from the coast, but no one has basements here. I'm not sure if you can't have them, but no one does.

We also don't have a garage, so...

I suppose I would.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I live an hour from the coast, but no one has basements here. I'm not sure if you can't have them, but no one does.

We also don't have a garage, so...

I suppose I would.
There are no basements within miles of the coast because the water table is much too high.

A house located much further inland needs a basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate