Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

I live in Denver, where we can easily get snow 6 months out of year. I would never live here without a garage.

I grew up in a house about 5 miles from the ocean. All the houses in my area had basements. No problems until Superstorm Sandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 04:22 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
We don't have basements here, but a garage is pretty standard.

We never park in our garage because it's full of a pool table, weight machines, punching bag and stand, and bicycles, plus one wall set up as a workbench/tool storage area. Our cars are old and paid off and our garage is our room for fun things. Once our kids are grown and moved out, we might make one of the secondary bedrooms into a gym room, but for now the garage is just right.

There's a neighborhood near mine that doesn't have garages, and the driveway stops about two feet short of the house, I guess to leave an area for flowerbeds or something like that. But it just looks weird and unfinished.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
A slab house in Florida costs the same as a single parking space in Toronto. That is about $23,000. The National Association of Realtors reports that sales of existing homes is up and sales of new homes are down. That is because foreclosed homes are being bought up and with prices this low it doesn't make sense to build new ones.

You may hear howls of protest about stating these facts. They are still facts. Yes, there are what I call pockets of prosperity like Miami Beach. Those high rise condos going up are not being purchased by Americans. There are 93,000,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 who are not working. That is the condition of our economy and as we circle the drain it is getting worse.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:26 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
A slab house in Florida costs the same as a single parking space in Toronto. That is about $23,000. The National Association of Realtors reports that sales of existing homes is up and sales of new homes are down. That is because foreclosed homes are being bought up and with prices this low it doesn't make sense to build new ones.

You may hear howls of protest about stating these facts. They are still facts. Yes, there are what I call pockets of prosperity like Miami Beach. Those high rise condos going up are not being purchased by Americans. There are 93,000,000 Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 who are not working. That is the condition of our economy and as we circle the drain it is getting worse.
Hmmm. I think your facts/math is a little off:

Florida Home Values | Bankrate.com

Most single family home in Florida are built on slabs. I have a nice one for sale near Orlando with a pool for just a little under $300k. Lowest price in the Country Club!! Of course, I suppose you might find one somewhere for $23k. State median price is $183,500.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:57 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
I have a house less than 1/2 mile from the ocean.

It has a nice dry basement which has never flooded since built in 1960. House sits 14 ft above sea level.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:26 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,905,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Yes, I would. I don't like garages. I like carports. I would have a shed/workshop in back instead of a garage.

Then again, I live in an even climate. I think cold areas might need a garage?
No on "needs" a garage. I live in the middle of Alaska. We get temperatures so cold that all vehicles here must have at least a block heater to plug in while the car isn't running or they will freeze up. And yet, most here do not have garages. They are nice because you don't have to sweep the snow off your windshield but they cost a fortune to heat.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:34 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,905,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
There are no basements within miles of the coast because the water table is much too high.

A house located much further inland needs a basement.
You are making broad generalizations when you probably mean, your small, local area. It's not the same every where...

Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 AM

797 posts, read 1,751,669 times
Sure, but depends on several factors:

Cost (rent/mortgage)- if sacrificing a garage and basement means I can live well below my means, then the trade off is worth it

square footage- if the home is large enough then I may not need a basement after all if I can store things in an extra closet or spare bedroom

Ample back yard space for a shed- often times a large shed can hold enough of the things you'd store in a garage, aside from a car (obviously)

Attic space- a decent attic can often make up for lack of a basement

Old 04-26-2015, 09:43 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Yes, if I had no choice.
But, I don't ever expect to be in that situation.

I prefer/demand to have a basement and a garage.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
My basement is a black hole that allows everyone in my family to delay making decisions. Not sure what to do with that "heirloom" lamp from Grandma? Just put it in the basement.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-26-2015 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate