Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 12,966 times

Advertisements

I am buying a house built in 1970 and completely renovated in 2012. Much to my dismay, the seller did not replace the aluminum wiring. I love everything else about the house! I've been househunting for well over a year, and during that period the Austin market went from a buyer's market to a seller's market. Inventory is low, and it's nearly impossible to find a fully updated 3/2 in the neighborhood I'm looking in. This house meets all my criteria--except for the aluminum wiring.

I have contacted an electrician certified to do Copalum pigtailing, and I've decided to do it (at a cost of $4,000--ouch!). But I am having a hard time finding an insurance company that will cover a house with aluminum wiring--even if I go ahead with the pigtailing. Can anybody recommend an insurance carrier who will insure a home with aluminum wiring? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I'd be suspicious of any insurance company that would insure a home with aluminum wiring unless they charged 2-3 times as much for the premiums, and I wouldn't want to live there. I would also be wary of a home that was completely renovated but didn't change out the wiring, most likely that means they had no permits for the work done, as most cities/counties would require that for any permit work. If you like the home that much you should look into a complete rewire and try to get the seller to pay at least part, and wrap the rest into the loan.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
$4000 should be enough for a complete rewire, not just pigtailing.
I wouldn't live in a house with aluminum wiring, pigtailed or not.
A complete rewire isn't that big of a deal, nor should it cost much more than $4k unless this house is huge.
A fully renovated home should be easy to re-wire - you can color match the paint.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You do realize that a home with aluminum wiring is not "fully updated"? Good Lord, a decent electrical system would be the first thing I'd be looking for, not the last.

You found yourself a pig with lipstick on it.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
VERY likely no permits were pulled. When I did my renovation, the electrical inspector noticed something outside of his scope and flagged it. The final flagged the chimney vent top even though the furnace inspector had passed it. Had to raise it another foot to get final passed.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 45,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You do realize that a home with aluminum wiring is not "fully updated"? Good Lord, a decent electrical system would be the first thing I'd be looking for, not the last.

You found yourself a pig with lipstick on it.
Could not have said it better myself. Not replacing aluminum wiring on a complete renovation is a huge red flag for other potential problems with the quality of the work done.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Since no one has offered a solution, here's one, ask the sellers who the house is currently insured with. Usually, since they already have coverage on the property, the company will continue to ensure with a new owner.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcphc View Post
Could not have said it better myself. Not replacing aluminum wiring on a complete renovation is a huge red flag for other potential problems with the quality of the work done.
I agree. I wouldn't touch a home with Aluminum wiring.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
You state:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomeaustin View Post
I am buying a house built in 1970 and completely renovated in 2012. Much to my dismay, the seller did not replace the aluminum wiring.
Well then it's not really completely renovated is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomeaustin View Post
I am having a hard time finding an insurance company that will cover a house with aluminum wiring--even if I go ahead with the pigtailing. Can anybody recommend an insurance carrier who will insure a home with aluminum wiring? Thanks!
Who are the sellers using for insurance? I am not surprised that you are having trouble finding insurance. A house with aluminum wiring is 55 times more likely to have a fire than a house with copper wiring.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Forgive me, I missed the part where you'd already bought the house. Hope you find someone that will insure you.

And do consider rewiring, not pigtailing. Perhaps an insurance company would be a little more amenable if it knew the aluminum wire was being pulled out completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate