Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 66,802 times

Advertisements

My friend has a home in the exact neighborhood I want to live. I would like to buy it if everything checks out. Here is the problem. I don't know how to do this as a private transaction. They have hit hard times. I know that they have mentioned they just want the house paid off and that is fine IF what they owe on the house is really fair. I have been told by a real estate agent that the amount they are asking is the amount homes are selling for in that area. It would be odd to me that they could owe that much on the house after having lived in it 10 years. Maybe they got a second mortgage? At any rate that doesn't matter. What matters is that we are out of state at the moment . I haven't seen the home in years. I have never seen the upstairs. I have asked of pictures about 15 times but she hasn't sent them. This makes me wonder why she won't send me pictures. Yet she wants to sell me the house . I know she is out of state and needs her son/husband to send the pictures but so far no one has. I think this is due to the husband/son procrastinating and not her. Anyway, I need to get an inspection/appraisal done I feel to make sure I don't get screwed. Does anyone have advice on how I should go about all this? Houses in that neighborhood go very quickly and so if it is a good deal I do want the house. But I don't know what to say. She told me she has a family friend who is some kind of person that can write up the deal but I don't think that would be in my best interest. I need to make sure I am covering my best interests. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
You talk about a private sale but then you say a real estate agent told you how much they have it listed for. If it is on the market and listed than you just need to treat it like any other house you would be looking at.

Why does it matter how much they owe compared to what they are asking? You need to take trhe friendship out of it and look at it like any other house you are looking at

Old 05-25-2015, 09:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
You get your own broker or agent and deal with it like any other business transaction and leave the personal side out of the entire situation.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You talk about a private sale but then you say a
real estate agent told you how much they have it listed for.
You read it incorrectly.

"I have been told by a real estate agent that the amount they are asking is
the amount homes are selling for in that area."--OP

Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
Exactly- this is a business transaction- keep personal feelings out of it.

The first thing you want to do is to physically see the house. Forget pictures- they can hide much. You need to get there and view the home inside & out.

Then you need to get good idea of what it is worth. Forget about what they owe on it- it has no bearing on today's value. If they are not willing to show you a current appraisal, then ask if you can have one done. Based upon an appraised value , hire a real estate attorney and have him/her draw up a contract. Make sure you include a home inspection clause, a financing clause, closing data, etc. - all to protect you.

Then present the contract to the sellers and see what happens.

Make sure to do all due diligence. This is an expensive transaction - protect yourself.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Ask your agent for a CMA. Base your offer upon inspection, appraisal, clear title and a precluding walk through.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

The first thing you want to do is to physically see the house. Forget pictures- they can hide much. You need to get there and view the home inside & out.

Then you need to get good idea of what it is worth. Forget about what they owe on it- it has no bearing on today's value. If they are not willing to show you a current appraisal, then ask if you can have one done. Based upon an appraised value , hire a real estate attorney and have him/her draw up a contract. Make sure you include a home inspection clause, a financing clause, closing data, etc. - all to protect you.

Then present the contract to the sellers and see what happens.

Make sure to do all due diligence. This is an expensive transaction - protect yourself.

Excellent advice!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 AM

27 posts, read 44,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Not everyone can do it. and maybe learn and asking your agent first...

Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhurricane View Post
Not everyone can do it. and maybe learn and asking your agent first...
From the posts it doesn't sound like the OP has engaged a RE agent (yet).

Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
and who is paying this real estate agent?

If I was a seller and had a buyer and all at once buyer introduces a realtor and expects me to pay a fee I would be pissed.

A professional appraiser, good home inspector and a good lawyer is more important. A realtor adds nothing to transaction except a bad dye job and cheesy clothes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate