Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times

Advertisements

Even as an experienced agent who has been involved with a few thousand inspections.......

I would always hire a Professional Inspector to inspect any home I was buying including new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
I'm an engineer and electrician with maybe 15 years total in the construction industry...

And I would bring in an inspector. usually when I do my walkthrough I let my sig other focus on room layouts and kitchen and storage space, and I tend to pay attention to the build construction, utilities and potential problem areas. But even when I make an offer, I would bring in an inspector just to back up things I've found, and do other tests that I don't have the equipment to do (nor do I want to) like Radon and such.

Plus it gives you leverage if you do find issues and want to resolve them.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I know, I know...usual wisdom is to ALWAYS, ALWAYS get an inspection done.

But after reading his report, and paying attention to some of the stuff he was doing while he was there, I really ended up feeling like I paid someone $350 to tell me things I already knew or could easily see myself, as he's only reporting problems that are easily seen.
So, do you see no purpose in your parents getting a regular checkup from a doctor, because if they were sick they'd know it already? Sometimes that doesn't work so well after you pass a certain age. And truthfully, if all their doctor did was glance at them, shake hands, and send them away, I wouldn't see much purpose in it either. Hopefully a checkup will involve more than that.

Yes, the plumbing inspection on the house I just bought saved me $25,000 (in repairs that the sellers had to pay for) by detecting problems that nobody already knew about or could easily see by themselves.

Be sure to get experienced, highly regarded inspectors with the proper equipment and knowledge to do a thorough inspection.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
We've only hired a home inspector once for a potential home, and he told us the roof was fine, but when we checked, it was rotten in a bunch of places. Turns out, the guy was buddy, buddy with the seller's real estate agent.
There is nothing wrong with inspecting a home yourself as long as you know what your doing and you have the realtor with you while you doing it.

Here is a pretty good article to read if your on the fence on home inspecting.

8 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Home Inspector - US News
Also ask If they have any connection to the seller or either real estate agent that could be seen as a conflict of interest.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
I think it's worth to spend a little money to save thousands later on. But I don't use an inspector. I call in the local companies for roof, AC, plumbing, electric and pest control. They each charge a flat rate and "inspect" their specialized area and give me feedback. Worked great for me personally. Either way, I would do something official.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Many people are fully capable of doing their own inspections. I built an addition onto our home and did everything but the poured concrete foundation myself. I could have don't that too, but it was more efficient to have it done by a local contractor. If you can open an entrance box and understand what you are looking at you should be good to go for electrical. Those outlet meters cost under $5 in building supply stores. Practices in Arkansas would not work in Maine due to snow loads in Maine. We have no termites. Down south, you need to be concerned about termites.

If you are a novice, a good home inspection can save you a lot of money and grief.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:18 PM

335 posts, read 376,861 times
I say do it yourself. Look once you identify anything bring an expert in. These inspectors take an online course and then they are certified.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:43 PM

708 posts, read 721,783 times
Inspection is your best investment of the house deal. We got $3000 off for minor repairs. A good realtor uses it for your advantage. Also they do very thorough job, check so many things most people do not have knowledge. It gives you piece of mind.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I can't see NOT doing an inspection, especially for an older home or one that has at least some obvious flaws.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
... it almost seems like I'm just paying someone to take a longer look at a house because the realtors seem to want to get me in and out of the place inside of 5 minutes ...
Do you have your own buyer's representative or are you just contacting the seller's Realtor directly? I've always toured houses with my own Realtor and I have never had one who rushed me through houses. (I wouldn't keep them if they did.) They are looking with me and pointing out things they notice about the house. A valuable extra set of eyes for me.

When I've gone to open houses alone, I've always had the host Realtors be very accommodating to my taking a good look around and then answering my questions. If you're being rushed through, is it possible they don't consider you a serious buyer? That would be especially possible if you have no professional representative. Usually your own rep gets you into a house via a lockbox and you tour when the sellers are not home. In that case, who cares how long you stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate