Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:22 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times

Advertisements

The only time I don't have an inspection done is if I am waiving inspection contingencies. Otherwise, pay for one as a leverage. In real estate, always look at the big picture.

For a lot of home buyers, a home inspection is also about being educated in home ownership (especially for first time home owner).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 04:20 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Lot's of reasons NOT to do the inspection yourself. Home inspections go well beyond a visual look at a property, no matter how long you look at it.

Do you have the skill and knowledge to recognize the difference between cosmetic problems and structural problems?

Are you willing to climb on the roof, climb in the attic or crawl space?

Do you have the tools (heat gun, electrical meters, pressure gauges, etc) to inspect electrical & plumbing?
My 'inspector' had none of these things, nor did he have a ladder. He didn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable, and appeared to lack even the most basic observational skills. I was pointing things out *to him* and I'm really more of a geek/academic than a construction type...well, I thought I was, anyway.

Maybe it was a one-off, but he didn't really seem to know much. I don't have much experience with these types of 'inspectors', but from what I've read since, it would seem that in some places there are little to no requirements or qualifications to become one- just hang up your shingle and say "I'm a home inspector."

I've only ever hired the one, and it was a complete waste of my money. If I ever buy another house, I'll for sure not bother hiring an 'inspector'...of course, I don't recommend that for *everyone*- I'm a little brighter than average, fairly well-educated (formally and informally), I have a smidgeon of common sense, good observational skills and a fair amount of real-world experience in a variety of areas and situations.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people who would benefit from a qualified, knowledgeable inspector...but not me.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
My 'inspector' had none of these things, nor did he have a ladder. He didn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable, and appeared to lack even the most basic observational skills. I was pointing things out *to him* and I'm really more of a geek/academic than a construction type...well, I thought I was, anyway.
Every qualified home inspector should have a "non-contact" temperature gauge to test the HVAC system, they should have a multi-meter or amp gauge & GFCI test tool to test the electrical. He/she should a variety of tools to test other mechanical items in a non-invasive manner. All mechanical systems, electrical outlets and appliances should be tested fully at inspection time.

I do not know how an inspector does not have a ladder?

While there may not be any legal requirement that an inspector to be licensed, a qualified inspector should not only be be licensed, they should be a member of a recognized organization like the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) or National Association of Home Inspectors, Inc. (NAHI). They should be bonded and insured. Many home inspectors here in AZ also are affiliate members of our MLS so they can be granted limited lockbox access.

I would never recommend an inspector that is not fully qualified to one of my clients, and if I was a seller would never allow an inspector in my home that was not qualified.

Before you plop down your $400, make sure the person you hire is both qualified and gives you your moneys worth.

If I have said this once, I have said it a thousands times. Real Estate is a service business, if you are not getting good service, What are you getting?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Have any of you had a separate pest control inspection?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:19 AM

72 posts, read 116,240 times
Yea, with the VA home loans you get termite inspections.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 AM

488 posts, read 799,255 times
Our home inspector was invaluable! Our new house is in great shape except for the crawl space and siding. Those two issues were big ticket items and cost the sellers $15,000 to fix. I may have seen the siding but there was no way I would have been able to determine that the humidity under my house was above correct levels.

Then again, I had a great inspector.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
After having a highly rated inspector come through the last place I put an offer on (and ultimately pulled out for reasons unrelated to the inspection), I got to wondering whether I REALLY needed the inspector to come out anyways...

I know, I know...usual wisdom is to ALWAYS, ALWAYS get an inspection done.

But after reading his report, and paying attention to some of the stuff he was doing while he was there, I really ended up feeling like I paid someone $350 to tell me things I already knew or could easily see myself, as he's only reporting problems that are easily seen. I can see some minor value in his report on the roof, as I typically don't show up with a ladder, but it almost seems like I'm just paying someone to take a longer look at a house because the realtors seem to want to get me in and out of the place inside of 5 minutes.

Plus, if there are problems found in the house after I move in, it's not like I can hold the inspector liable after the fact for missing something (not that I'm implying I should be able to).

I realize in the grand scheme of things, it's a small price to pay compared to total home ownership, and it's not at all an issue of not being able to afford it, or having to rebudget around it. But on the other hand, to paraphrase an old saying, no one got rich by wasting their money.
The only way this would work is if you are paying cash and the place is being sold as is dirt cheap and you are willing to fix anything and if they do allow inspections. I would not fell comfortable making such a large purchase without inspection.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Every time.

If there's a septic system vs sewer, separate septic as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:59 AM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Some home inspectors get licensed to perform pest inspections.

I prefer to have a licensed pest control professional who works in the field full time, every day do my pest inspections.
It costs about $80, but I think it is a worthy investment.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 AM

685 posts, read 720,807 times
We've only hired a home inspector once for a potential home, and he told us the roof was fine, but when we checked, it was rotten in a bunch of places. Turns out, the guy was buddy, buddy with the seller's real estate agent.
There is nothing wrong with inspecting a home yourself as long as you know what your doing and you have the realtor with you while you doing it.

Here is a pretty good article to read if your on the fence on home inspecting.

8 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Home Inspector - US News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate