Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 06:23 AM

234 posts, read 327,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Oh. It sounds like a temporary HOA set up by the developer. Look at your HOA packet closely. It could be the developer is the head of the HOA until a certain percentage of homes are sold in which the HOA is passed to the owners. At 50% sold it could be that its time for the residence to take over and make changes if need be. I'm in a similar situation pertaining to developer HOA.
On the notice the person signature says "Executive Assistant to Van Watts". Also our HOA actually called POA. Does it make any difference?
And I believe this place is close to being 50% occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but the HOA is not the problem! I'm sure you received and signed for a copy of their rules and reg's before you bought. You just decided too late that you don't want to abide by the rules you agreed to.
NOOOO! this is exactly what HAS NEVER happaned! we never even received the hoa rules! nor our realtor nor the sales person gave us even a short look at the rules! our neighbors who came from up north even had no idea they r purchasing house with HOA and didnt even know what it means. When we moved in they havent even set up a way for us to pay HOA fees so they have recently started billing people.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but the HOA is not the problem! I'm sure you received and signed for a copy of their rules and reg's before you bought. You just decided too late that you don't want to abide by the rules you agreed to.
So none of us ever signed any hoa or poa documents!

Old 08-23-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I detest HOA's but I agree with you. Read the rules before you sign!
Thats the point we never signed any HOA rules!
And there is one neighbor who said that if we can have over 50% people sign the paper that we deny hoa in our subdivision we might end up being free from hoa. But i dont know if this is realistic.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you are trying to sell in an area where there is still a lot of new construction, you'll have a hard time competing with the Builder.

Builders have incentives and people rather have new over even a 1 year old home.
Yes! You are right, people would rather get a new house and customize it or something. The only way for us is to wait when they fill up the lots. It builds very fast here and took only 1 year to fill up 50% of the space (so should be done in the next few years). It's about 200 houses total.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Put it for rent?
Been thinking about it.

I have a question. I've read that I can deduct "rent that I pay to others" when I file rental income taxes? I mean if we rent out this house and rent us a smaller and cheaper place, does it mean I can deduct the rent that we will pay?

Old 08-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I don't know how people buy into a community with a HOA then complain about the rules afterward! Do they not read the rules & regulations? In Florida you get 3 days to review HOA by-laws & can rescind if you don't like them.
Nobody gaves us the rules! The only way we got any answers about hoa rules is when we were asking random questions, will they let us to have our dog (doberman) and they said yes, but the realtor or sales person didnt even have the rules themselves! They said it was a brand new subdivision and rules were not YET AVAILABLE!!!

Old 08-23-2015, 06:56 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
NOOOO! this is exactly what HAS NEVER happaned! we never even received the hoa rules! nor our realtor nor the sales person gave us even a short look at the rules! our neighbors who came from up north even had no idea they r purchasing house with HOA and didnt even know what it means. When we moved in they havent even set up a way for us to pay HOA fees so they have recently started billing people.
Gotcha... If you didn't sign anything, there is a problem. Not only aren't you supposed to sign saying you received the HOA covenants, but there should have been items in the closing documents that pertain to the HOA, dues, the fact that there is a HOA, etc.

Please consult your attorney to get to the bottom of this. It may either help you out of your situation or it may enlighten you that you missed a very important part of your real estate transaction.

I wish you the best in either case.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:03 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I think you have to absolutely love your house or it is a drain on you both mentally & physically.

We bought our house years ago. Hubby loved it and I didn't particularly care for it. Not his fault, but I let him talk me into it. All those little things I didn't like became giant issues that annoyed me every day. The plan was to move in a few years. Never happened. This house has become an awful financial/mental burden that does strain our relationship. I think you should get out of it however you can. Life is far too short....
Same situation here. One of the biggest strains on my marriage was the damned house. Our first house was atop a hill on a busy route with the driveway from hell. In the winter I had to make a running start with the car at the base of the hill in order to get up and into the garage. We could never have company during the winter because there was no place to park them (no parking allowed on the road) I told DH that we either put some money into the house or move. Move we did--ended up in a nice neighborhood with an even worse fixer-upper. The house was shrouded in shade and consequently the lawn consisted mostly of moss. DH didn't want to put money into the lawn or the rapidly deteriorating driveway. The house was always infiltrated with mice from the surrounding woods. There were a dozen other things that made me realize this house was a bad idea.

In the end I knew it was easier to divorce my husband than to get him on board with moving again. I now live in a one bedroom townhouse that is blowing my budget, but I no longer have to deal with maintenance issues or snow removal and I'm happy as a clam. Bonus: the apartment complex has a pool!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:04 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
1) Husband got a job offer and a good opportunity in another state.
2) This house has HOA and they told me I cant let my cats outside.
3) HOA told my husband he cant have window AC in the garage - and he uses garage as a gym.
4) HOA has all kinda rules we dont like (like grass has to be cut at certain length).
5) we pay HOA and I dont see why do we need to pay somebody else besides taxes mortgage etc.

So yeah my biggest issue is HOA
So you want to:

- Let your cats roam outside, as strays to disturb your neighbors mulch beds.
- Put a big AC unit in your garage window, to protude for your neighbors to look at all day.
- And, let your grass look a mess by letting the grass grow as high as YOU want to grow.

The HOA is concerned about the beauty and best interest of the community and homeowners. The HOA is not the problem.

Last edited by dorado0359; 08-23-2015 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate