Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:34 PM

45 posts, read 105,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you drove up and saw this house, and IF it is on my LOCAL MLS, you have a ton of company.
3 minutes ago, one of my clients was notified by email of a new "Coming Soon" listing.
Finding signs is the hardest way to find property.

I have another Coming Soon listing, that may be getting a sign on Monday, if the sellers are ready. But, it has been on the MLS for days. If you are a sign-finder, you have no idea at all that the house is being pre-marketed.

You can write an offer on any property, any time, under any status. It does not have to have a sign in front, be on the market, being actively marketed, pocket listing, etc. If you want something, you can try to buy it any time.
Well I don't know if the house with the "coming soon" sign is on any local MLS. My agent sends me MLS listings every day but none of them are "coming soon", they are hitting the market. I know because I see her MLS houses on Redfin that same day or the next day. (Redfin seems to get listings faster than Zillow. )

Zillow now has a "coming soon" option but this house is not there.

My agent knew nothing about this "coming soon" house when I called her and told her about the sign. She told me to take a picture of the sign and send it to her, which I did.

Thanks for that info about making an offer, so I can make an offer at any time. I had thought perhaps because of Equal Opportunity housing laws etc they would have to list the house and take the best offer. if I like the house I will be ready to make an offer the day I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:56 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 56 View Post
I had thought perhaps because of Equal Opportunity housing laws etc they would have to list the house and take the best offer. if I like the house I will be ready to make an offer the day I see it.
The Seller alone determines what is a "best offer." It might be the highest price offer. It might be the all cash offer. It might be the one with no contingencies. And sadly, it might be the one from the seller's preferred ethnic/racial group. If it's the last one, all the Seller needs to do is keep his/her mouth shut to avoid antidiscrimination claims.

Anyone can offer to buy any property at any time. If you can write a full price offer with few contingencies you have a good chance of getting the house, whether it's on the market or not.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:51 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Well I don't know if the house with the "coming soon" sign is on any local MLS. My agent sends me MLS listings every day but none of them are "coming soon", they are hitting the market. I know because I see her MLS houses on Redfin that same day or the next day. (Redfin seems to get listings faster than Zillow. )

Zillow now has a "coming soon" option but this house is not there.

My agent knew nothing about this "coming soon" house when I called her and told her about the sign. She told me to take a picture of the sign and send it to her, which I did.

Thanks for that info about making an offer, so I can make an offer at any time. I had thought perhaps because of Equal Opportunity housing laws etc they would have to list the house and take the best offer. if I like the house I will be ready to make an offer the day I see it.
Zillow's "Coming Soon" advertising is only available for paying advertisers.
MLS "Coming Soon" status search is available to all MLS members.
Unlike Zillow, Redfin is a real estate brokerage and site so they can show you all "Coming Soon" listings on MLS, where MLSs allow that function.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:59 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Are there any sites for the average buyer to do a search on "Coming Soon"? I have only seen Zillow to have this, and noone seems to be using it. You see the signs, but nothing online, and some of the signs point down a road with no realtor signs out.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Are there any sites for the average buyer to do a search on "Coming Soon"? I have only seen Zillow to have this, and noone seems to be using it. You see the signs, but nothing online, and some of the signs point down a road with no realtor signs out.
You need to look on a VOW site, but MLS rules require you to register with the firm hosting the site.
So, you are in someones database at that point, but commonly with no obligation to use their services.

When I set up searches for clients, I include "No Showings" status in the search, so they get to see them.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:52 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
V.o.w?

(system won't let me type all caps, sorry)

Old 10-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
V.o.w?

(system won't let me type all caps, sorry)

Virtual Office Website.
There aren't many around, but there are a couple.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:23 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
It sounds like I had better see if I can arrange to see this property the very first day it goes on the market, and to have everything ready (pre approval letter etc) to make an offer at or above the asking price, if I really want this house after seeing the inside. I know I like the exterior of the house, and the neighborhood especially.
So you have no idea what the inside of the house looks like or what the price will be (unless the agent you texted told you), and you are already prepared to make an offer above the asking price? You just answered your own question about why people use a "coming soon" strategy.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 PM

45 posts, read 105,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So you have no idea what the inside of the house looks like or what the price will be (unless the agent you texted told you), and you are already prepared to make an offer above the asking price? You just answered your own question about why people use a "coming soon" strategy.
Well I suppose I was going a little overboard in speculating about going over the asking price. I'm a little anxious because I lost out on the last house I wanted in that neighborhood , by offering slightly below asking price. If I miss out on this one I am afraid the market will dry up with Christmas and winter coming soon.

The agent I texted did tell me what the house will be listed at., but if the inside is not good, then I will have to make a decision. I do like the outside of the house (all brick rancher) and the neighborhood.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:27 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
I've been looking for a house in a particular neighborhood. Houses in this area very rarely go on sale, and when they are put up for sale, they go quickly.

So last week I was driving through the neighborhood and saw a house with what looked like a "for sale" sign.
When I got closer I saw the sign actually said "Coming Soon", and gave the realtors name, phone number, and a number to text for a "virtual tour".

When I texted the number, the realtor called me back and informed me there were no pictures available, and the house would go on the market in about a week, as it was being worked on. I also had my agent call him, and he told her pretty much the same thing.

I wonder if anyone knows what the purpose of the "coming soon" strategy is, and if I really have a legit shot at this house, or if this is some kind of sales gimmick? I feel there will be a lot of buyers to see the house the very first day it goes on the market. Perhaps I would need to make a quick offer at the asking price or maybe above it to have a shot. (After my agent and I check it out) . I'd really like to live in this neighborhood.
The coming soon strategy works best in neighborhoods where there is a high demand. The sellers may be doing a bit more last minute staging and freshening up (i.e., hardwoods are being refinished, new paint, etc.). Now you know that there's a house in a desirable neighborhood that YOU want to live in that will be coming on the market soon. You're going to be keeping an eye on it, like a hawk. You're right, there probably WILL be a lot of buyers to see the house the first day it goes on the market. We had one house that we basically had an open house for the first day, from 10 am to 4 pm, after a "coming soon" sign was up for two days. Four people were in line at 9:30, and there were a constant stream of people all day. We had our first contract hit our in-box at 11:15 am -- at the end of the evening, there were six contracts. The seller chose an all-cash deal that was almost 4% above asking price, with another offer as a back-up.

So you have as much of a shot at it as anyone else at this point, unless you want to make an offer sight-unseen. (Although, truthfully, the seller probably wouldn't take it, for fear that you might back out of it once you saw the house.) A well-connected agent might be able to get you a sneak-peek, but if it's in a popular area, don't think that the first contract in is necessarily the winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate