Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:52 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times

Advertisements

I can't even stand to look at them from the road. There is a Gone With The Wind, five or so year old Tara on the road below me. The owners own a local steel mill and have the money; they are always giving back to the community; but I am still glad it's on a hill and I don't have to look at it, driving by.

That said, if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't have a bit of problem building a McBarn for my horses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 09:33 PM

132 posts, read 91,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
Hello,
I just read a long passionate thread about mcmansions and how awful they are? Im almost embarressed to admit that I actually like them. I find they have all kinds of bells and whistles I want, sq footage, beautiful master baths etc etc that I am looking for in nice neighbourhoods.

So please let me hear from people who bought and like living in them!! and please elucidate WHY...thanks so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
to me mcmansions might be cookie cutter ( they all look the same) but to me atleast, they look v pretty. They are in nice neighbourhoods with good schools and yes they cut out all trees and have small back yards as they take up a lot of space for the house itself. they have almost as many bathrooms as bedrooms and extras like game rooms, bonus room etc....they can also be very energy efficient and smart homes. built 2000 onwards...

so...whats NOT to like?! people who live in them and are happy, please stand up for yourself! thanks
Also don't also forget to include amenities! I have a small back yard but I have parks less than 10 minutes away walking distance.

Some people may say that I live in a Mcmansion. I would disagree at least based on square footage as the house I live in is 2,500 square feet, which is enough for the size of my family.

In comparison, the majority of the other houses in the neighborhood have an average size of 3,000 sq ft or more ! That's too much house for me to maintain. Once my kids grow up and move out, my husband and I will be downsizing for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

This is my dream home. Not this exact house but the style of house. You could not get that around here for less than a 1,5 millions or more. That's probably why I will end up buying a Mcmansion in the suburbs.
I was actually surprised to see a Victorian style home looked not that old in a MPC near me earlier today, which I was quite taken with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You are describing a subdivision, plain and simple. In a subdivision, one large acreage is divided into lots at the same time.There are many subdivisions that are quite nice. When there are different architects you can rest assured they are not "Mc"houses (ie, repetitive designs). If they are simply large homes on good sized lots (my personal rule of thumb would be 20X the footprint of the house), perhaps we could call them "mansionettes" or just nice "houses".

IMHO McMansions can be well-constructed, it's just that they are usually repetitive, huge, and with little property.
Yes, I agree especially with the parts in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

In my neighborhood, there are only 3 homes total that have my floor plan. One is mine, another has same floor plan but completely different front elevation, and the other does have the same elevation as mine but the plan is the mirror image of mine. At this price point, the builder puts in a lot of custom touches and finishes. I would classify it as a semi-custom home. Build quality is very good, there's a brick/stone facade, covering 2x6 exterior walls.

The only time I really think "McMansion" living in TX is when you have a lower quality home with the largest floor plan possible. Think, a 5k sq ft home with absolutely no custom finishes whatsoever, built as cheaply as possibly just to maximize space/budget.
That is also the case with my house house and the subdivision that I live in. In the other subdivisions near mine, the style of the homes are different from the other, which I like.

In some parts of TX maybe. It really depends on the area and the price point.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:43 PM

85 posts, read 92,161 times
My favorite homes are the 1950s, early 1960s modern style ranch homes. Those have true class. McMansions will never have the quality or endurance of those classics.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The people that you see complain about McMansions, do so for one reason. They simply cannot afford one, and complain about those that can. They also complain about big expensive cars, etc., etc.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The people that you see complain about McMansions, do so for one reason. They simply cannot afford one, and complain about those that can. They also complain about big expensive cars, etc., etc.
This may be true for some people, but certainly not all. What I dislike most about McMansions is that they are often cheaply built, and poorly designed/ugly. I don't care how big the house is, it's just that the "mansion" part of McMansion doesn't fit a small, poorly designed house.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:03 PM

548 posts, read 473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Completely untrue.

The mcmansions in my area usually cost less than the custom built stuff built < 1940.

Why would I buy junk when I can get quality?

Old 12-28-2015, 07:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,658 times
One of the defining characteristics of a McMansion is its pretentiousness. The McMansion is generally over sized for its surroundings. The architecture is garish, crass, and vulgar, with its fake period detailing, out of proportion windows, turrets, cupolas, dormers, etc. The overall design is meant to impress the gullible. The McMansion has a fake, plastic, inauthentic feel about it, hence its name, an allusion to the fast food chain McDonalds. Quantity and size is valued over quality and utility. They are for insecure people who desperately want to keep up with the Jones', and then some.

I realize this is all very subjective, but it is my opinion.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Fiberglass cracks. I've also seen it looking very dirty and unable to be cleaned. I think that was permanent damage from a chemical cleaner.

I also think fiberglass looks a little cheap. They're used in lower end houses and apartments.

There's a reason that china, ceramic tile, enamel over iron, and SS have been in use for centuries.
I had a fiberglass tub for ten plus years and it never cracked. Cleaning is as simple as Barkeeper's Friend. I currently have an enamel over iron sink and I HATE IT. It stains really easily and chips. No thanks, I will be replacing it with a composite sink. I will replace our current marble tub with a nice freestanding Honestly, I go with what works for me regardless of perception.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:11 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus One View Post
My favorite homes are the 1950s, early 1960s modern style ranch homes. Those have true class. McMansions will never have the quality or endurance of those classics.
Ok Im sorry but I have NEVER heard anyone call a ranch house "true class." These weren't even built to be classy, they were build for the nuclear family post WW2....my dad built a ton of these in our area and knew exactly what market segment they were for..class....lololol

Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
Completely untrue.

The mcmansions in my area usually cost less than the custom built stuff built < 1940.

Why would I buy junk when I can get quality?
A lot of that depends on location. In my area those older homes are closer to downtown and fetch a premium simply due to the shorter commute. Newer homes are built farther away from the core and this have commute issues. Apples/Oranges. The most expensive single family homes around here are awful 1000 sq ft bungalows that need lots of work, in a flood zone to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate