Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:11 PM

203 posts, read 327,750 times

Advertisements

This is yet another reason why I'm grateful for our more restrictive HOA. No outside Christmas decorations can go up before Thanksgiving and they have to be taken down by New Years. Keeps everything neat and predictable and you don't have to wonder when it's appropriate to put them up or take them down. I love the season and the decorations but it's nice to have some guidelines in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:30 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
...are you sure that some of the displays weren't for Diwali (Nov. 11th)? If there's any kind of Indian community, many would have lights up as part of this Hindu festival...but probably not Santas, or red and green.....!

Old 11-14-2015, 07:09 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Xmas lights are nice when the evenings are dark and long.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:20 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
This is yet another reason why I'm grateful for our more restrictive HOA. No outside Christmas decorations can go up before Thanksgiving and they have to be taken down by New Years. Keeps everything neat and predictable and you don't have to wonder when it's appropriate to put them up or take them down. I love the season and the decorations but it's nice to have some guidelines in place.
I'd rather be annoyed at my neighbor for putting up his decorations early than live in an HOA that tells me when and when I cannot put up decorations. I prefer freedom.

Prison has guidelines and is very predictable too. Living in an HOA is similar to living in a prison. But voluntary.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:25 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I'd rather be annoyed at my neighbor for putting up his decorations early than live in an HOA that tells me when and when I cannot put up decorations. I prefer freedom.

Prison has guidelines and is very predictable too. Living in an HOA is similar to living in a prison. But voluntary.

I fear this will turn into a love em or hate em HOA thread...again!

Old 11-15-2015, 12:18 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I like the lights too. Someone has posted on another thread about the custom in Alaska of leaving colored lights on all through the long nights all winter there. I think that is a great custom. I'd like to see lights through January, at any rate.

In the Scandinavian countries many people have an oversize "candle" which burns outside their door during the long, winter nights. It is a warm/homey touch which breaks the dark of the long winter nights. Yu see them in front of restaurants, shops and offices as well.

For some reason you cannot buy them here in the states, and, sadly, trying to get them through customs or onto an airplane on a return trip from Scandinavia is next to impossible.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Is it possible the houses you are seeing are owned by Indians? Diwali was a couple days ago and it is pretty common to put up what seem like Christmas lights as part of the celebration.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:23 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Anything's ok as long as its not religious. After all, it faces a public street
Are you serious?

Old 11-16-2015, 06:31 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Anything's ok as long as its not religious. After all, it faces a public street
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Are you serious?
"Are you serious, Clark?"

Cousin Eddie to Clark in Christmas Vacation.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:08 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I love lights on a house/in a yard just about all the months of the year. If they can come up with a holiday to celebrate, and do it somewhat tastefully, more power to them. January is a little problematic, of course, unless you leave the Christmas lights up overlong, but hey - at least they're cheerful. I don't decorate at all myself except for putting my electric menorah in the front window at Hanukkah, but I love to see all the pretty lights on other peoples' homes. It's kind of depressing when they all get taken down in January and everything looks cold and dark again. Bleah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate