Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times

Advertisements

I'd put out my stuff today if I had the time. We plan on putting them out Thanksgiving weekend although I may do some this upcoming weekend.

Commercial companies typically HAVE to do displays early - they can't very well schedule everything the week of Thanksgiving or else they won't get them all done. However, that doesn't mean the homeowners have to turn them ON.

Having said that, it's mid-November and someone down the block from me still has their Halloween decorations out (complete with skeleton hanging in a tree). Would you rather someone be lazy about removing past holiday decorations, or quick-triggered on upcoming holiday decorations (I personally would think it was funny if their next door neighbor put up Xmas decorations so that we could have a duel between Halloween and Xmas decorations)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
When my Dad was alive, we'd work on decorating the 60 ft spruce tree in the front yard while the weather still cooperated with us. Typically, end of Oct.

However, the tree was never turned on until Dec 1 and lasted through Jan 6. Lights went on at 5pm and off at 10pm.. Except Christmas eve they were lit at 3 pm and stayed lit until 12:01AM Dec 26. Then back to the usual schedule.
We have neighbors that do the same thing. They already have exterior lights up, but they won't turn them on until Thanksgiving night. Because we could have significant amount of snow, they work with what days they can.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaG View Post
I'm a huge proponent of live and let live.
Exactly! Hey you want to spend 150 bucks a month in electricity on the blow ups in you yard for 3 months, have at it! It's not my money so I don't care. If twinkle lights make you happy, wrap yourself up in them. I don't care. You want to put an old fashioned sleigh in your yard and wear a red fuzzy suit while sitting in the thing, go for it! You want to walk around with a lit menorah, don't set yourself on fire cause that would suck, but I hope you enjoy it. It's the holiday season, don't be a Grinch!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
This is yet another reason why I'm grateful for our more restrictive HOA. No outside Christmas decorations can go up before Thanksgiving and they have to be taken down by New Years. Keeps everything neat and predictable and you don't have to wonder when it's appropriate to put them up or take them down. I love the season and the decorations but it's nice to have some guidelines in place.
Why do you have to wonder when to put decorations up or take them down? We do it whenever we feel like it. No rules to tell us otherwise. I'm an adult and can think for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Having said that, it's mid-November and someone down the block from me still has their Halloween decorations out (complete with skeleton hanging in a tree). Would you rather someone be lazy about removing past holiday decorations, or quick-triggered on upcoming holiday decorations (I personally would think it was funny if their next door neighbor put up Xmas decorations so that we could have a duel between Halloween and Xmas decorations)?
Put a Santa suit on the skeleton. Maybe get him a sleigh or stick him by a fireplace in pajamas.....the kid was so rotten he was 110 and still waiting for Santa. Put some reindeer antlers on Mr. Skeleton. Wrap him up in some paper chains and call him Mr. Marley.....oh this is fun! LOL

Old 11-17-2015, 09:06 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
It's getting earlier and earlier each year it seems.

When I was a kid, you never really used to see much Xmas stuff until right after thanksgiving. Used to always wait to the Friday after to basically "flip the switch" and get into holiday mode.

In my teens and early 20's, I began to see it more and more before thanksgiving. More on the corporate angle with store putting out trees and decorations and such.

Now the past few years, i'm seeing the corporate stuff before Halloween!

Starbucks and Dunks have already switched their cups...and still 2 weeks to thanksgiving.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:24 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
When I was a kid, my family decorated for Christmas the weekend before Christmas. If Christmas was early in the week, we stretched it a little and decorated one weekend earlier.

I was out driving around today at dusk, and quite a few of my neighbors have their lights up already. This in a neighborhood where it's customary for the lights to stay up until mid-February!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:36 AM

666 posts, read 643,396 times
Putting my stuff up this weekend, sorry for not adhering to your suggestion. I love Christmas and the look of the decorations and the lights. They can come out as soon as Halloween is over. However, my outside decorating is always fairly low key, I don't like driving down the streets where the houses are so light up that it still feels like daytime on that block.

I gotta say I wish the stupid inflatables trend would go away. Had a neighbor for awhile with a setup of an enormous Homer Simpson Santa inflatable and a set of gigantic inflatable Christmas snow globes. Tacky.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why do you have to wonder when to put decorations up or take them down? We do it whenever we feel like it. No rules to tell us otherwise. I'm an adult and can think for myself.

Put a Santa suit on the skeleton. Maybe get him a sleigh or stick him by a fireplace in pajamas.....the kid was so rotten he was 110 and still waiting for Santa. Put some reindeer antlers on Mr. Skeleton. Wrap him up in some paper chains and call him Mr. Marley.....oh this is fun! LOL
Heh. I should totally drive down there and put a Santa hat on him! That would be hilarious (although I'm sure someone will think I'm claiming Santa should be killed...)

Old 11-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Putting my stuff up this weekend, sorry for not adhering to your suggestion. I love Christmas and the look of the decorations and the lights. They can come out as soon as Halloween is over. However, my outside decorating is always fairly low key, I don't like driving down the streets where the houses are so light up that it still feels like daytime on that block.

I gotta say I wish the stupid inflatables trend would go away. Had a neighbor for awhile with a setup of an enormous Homer Simpson Santa inflatable and a set of gigantic inflatable Christmas snow globes. Tacky.
I used to hate the inflatables and swore we'd never have them. But now we have 8 of them. We won't get anymore though - they take up a lot of valuable yard space for our other decorations.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
While putting the trash cans out earlier this evening.. I glanced up the street.

Neighbor has their Christmas lights on!

I haven't even bought the Thanksgiving turkey yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate