Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:37 PM

14,576 posts, read 12,258,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
No, the showings were all done via an app.

Yeah after Diana's post I did go back and look at what I am pretty sure was the official MLS listing and did not see my contact info (good to see later that that's not really normal).
Good. Just for clarification/grist for the mill, in our system the owner info is not publicly available... it's only visible to members of the mls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:06 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,654,187 times
Quote:
No, the showings were all done via an app.

Yeah after Diana's post I did go back and look at what I am pretty sure was the official MLS listing and did not see my contact info (good to see later that that's not really normal). After thinking about it I'm not surprised they were able to find it out, I guess it just took me by surprise.

I do get that withdrawn listings could be good leads for agents, but if you're gonna call at least be honest. Some were, but most were either claiming they had a potential buyer and a few left messages just saying stuff like "Hey it's Tony!" not even saying they were a real estate agent.

I responded to the email I mentioned above with "So I take it you don't actually have someone that was interested in making an offer?"

And they came back with:

"Currently I don’t have someone looking to draw up paperwork today. HOWEVER, we have a pool of buyers that we are always looking for inventory for as well with our marketing that we do when we list your property for sale draws another reach of buyers that you have not been marketed to before."
I hate when they do that. I think some places it's against an ethics code. Generally agents are supposed to identify themselves.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:11 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,373,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Good. Just for clarification/grist for the mill, in our system the owner info is not publicly available... it's only visible to members of the mls.
Gotcha. Remind me never to move to Washington

Old 01-13-2016, 05:22 AM

51,679 posts, read 25,940,382 times
FSBO friend said she got tons of calls from real estate agents claiming to have buyers.

She offered each one a one day listing in which they could bring all these buyers by.

Never heard back from any of them.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:48 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,772,355 times
If a REALTOR tells a member of the public that they have a buyer for the property, they had better have one or else they have violated the Code of Ethics. Same goes for not identifying themselves as REALTORS.

Article 12

REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations. REALTORS® shall ensure that their status as real estate professionals is readily apparent in their advertising, marketing, and other representations, and that the recipients of all real estate communications are, or have been, notified that those communications are from a real estate professional. (Amended 1/08)

If anyone out there experiences one of these weasel moves, call your local board of REALTORS and file a complaint. We don't need bad actors.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:14 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,124,300 times
As a former seller who has been in this position, I agree this is the most transparent kind of vulture tactic.

When you spend weeks or months trying to sell your house and then finally make the decision to pull it off the market, having some go-getter call you up and pull this crap on you is infuriating. I kept a list of those agents so I would know who NOT to work with.

Brokers, please don't advise your agents to do this.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 AM

80 posts, read 78,942 times
Default Market time

Unfortunately, just like most industries, there are good/bad/sleazy agents. Phone #'s are not listed in my MLS either. I would comment though that you could not have picked a worse time to list? Very few buyers out there Thanksgiving thru New Year. If you liked your current agent, I'd stick with him/her and re-list...

Old 01-13-2016, 11:50 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,077,492 times
Quote:
I responded to the email I mentioned above with "So I take it you don't actually have someone that was interested in making an offer?"

And they came back with:

"Currently I don’t have someone looking to draw up paperwork today. HOWEVER, we have a pool of buyers that we are always looking for inventory for as well with our marketing that we do when we list your property for sale draws another reach of buyers that you have not been marketed to before."
Yes. I've seen this script before on some of the RE agent Facebook groups. Every time I read on Facebook about someone using it successfully, I'm blown away. It just seems so transparent to me, but maybe I'm more skeptical than the average person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
If a REALTOR tells a member of the public that they have a buyer for the property, they had better have one or else they have violated the Code of Ethics. Same goes for not identifying themselves as REALTORS.

Article 12

REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations. REALTORS® shall ensure that their status as real estate professionals is readily apparent in their advertising, marketing, and other representations, and that the recipients of all real estate communications are, or have been, notified that those communications are from a real estate professional. (Amended 1/08)

If anyone out there experiences one of these weasel moves, call your local board of REALTORS and file a complaint. We don't need bad actors.
I've seen a number of these scripts being taught in the RE agent Facebook groups and honestly most of them don't say "I have a buyer." They're more ambiguous. They say things like "if you received a strong offer would you still be willing to sell your home?" So, they hint that there is a buyer but never come out and say it. The truly unscrupulous or newb agents probably don't understand why it's worded that way and end up sending it out as "I have a buyer!" These are techniques you see from a lot of Keller Williams agents but I'm sure they're taught at other offices as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
As a former seller who has been in this position, I agree this is the most transparent kind of vulture tactic.

When you spend weeks or months trying to sell your house and then finally make the decision to pull it off the market, having some go-getter call you up and pull this crap on you is infuriating. I kept a list of those agents so I would know who NOT to work with.

Brokers, please don't advise your agents to do this.
I had an agent contact my client (that I mentioned in an earlier post) saying she had a buyer. When it turned out there wasn't actually a buyer, I was told never to show the property to any of that agent's clients.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:56 AM

4,635 posts, read 7,581,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post

Article 12

Excellent post, couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,607 times
I'm just being honest, some sellers REALLY do need someone else to be marketing their home for sale.

Yes, it's the norm to be called once the listing is withdrawn and yes, although it is not posted on your listing you can easily find most phone numbers.

I've done a good deal of business from expired/cancelled listings and it's mostly because the agent didn't do their job. I see pictures upside down on MLS, no information, dark photos of the ground and overpricing by $1,000's of dollars. I call to "help" a seller. I never say I have a buyer (unless I actually do) and truth be told, if the agent that listed it the first time priced it right and actually showed off the best features in the house more than once, I did have a buyer, but instead of looking the went on to the next listing.

A broken down old truck as the front photo isn't going to sell a house. The ones I call, actually need an agent that cares about their wallet and really what they planned for their next home.

As a seller, if you knew everything that should be happening with your listing you would list it yourself. Since you don't, it's important for me to do everything I would expect if another agent listed my personal home. What your agent is/isn't doing with the sale of your home affects you. It doesn't cost you anything to listen for the "out of the box agent"... I realize it's hard to sift through them now.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate