Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times

Advertisements

Anyone used it or have info on it? We are looking at building a home soon and peeking around the 'net I saw this stuff. Says it's fire proof which is nice. We will be in the middle of 20+ acres. Don't plan on putting trees against the house, but still worry about fire. Any issues with maintenance or install or anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
It has to be installed properly, on a properly prepared wall.
But, generally, it is good stuff.
It will require fresh paint from time to time to perform up to expectations and to look good.

You want a good housewrap, and good flashings around penetrations.
You want a flashing under every but joint in the siding.

James Hardie - Resource Center | Installation

Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Cement fiber board siding has become incredibly popular in my area for new construction. It doesn't rot like wood and the sun doesn't affect it like wood siding either. Like many products meant to replace wood, the manufacturer tries a little too hard to make it resemble wood. If you look at wood siding you won't see any wood grain. However, the manufacturers of cement fiber board siding mold into their product a heavy wood grain pattern. It's really something you only notice once you're up close. Also, as Mike J. mentioned you have to make sure the product is properly installed. Improper installation can void the warrant and greatly reduce the life of the siding. I sold a fairly new condo unit a few years ago and the previous year they had resided the building because (as I understand it) the developer had improperly installed cement fiber board siding and it had started to fail about 5 years in.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Anyone used it or have info on it? We are looking at building a home soon and peeking around the 'net I saw this stuff. Says it's fire proof which is nice. We will be in the middle of 20+ acres. Don't plan on putting trees against the house, but still worry about fire. Any issues with maintenance or install or anything?
A couple of links for your use:

Fiber Cement Siding

The leader in Fiber Cement Siding is James Hardi. You can read about proper installation procedures here as well as a wealth of other information.
James Hardie - World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard

Fiber cement siding is very good material when properly handled and installed. It is more expensive and the labor is more expensive than other typical composite sidings but well worth the money.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:34 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Thanks for the info, everyone! The house we want to build doesn't have a lot of siding, it's mostly stone, but in areas where it will be I don't want junk or plastic or whatever material they make that siding with that they put on trailers. The fireproof part is what had me pretty excited. Will definitely look for someone with a good long track record of install.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I had something called Harding board/plank installed on an addition in Salt Lake City. It held up well in the weather.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
It's about all the builders have been using here for about the last 20 years.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:27 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
We have it on our condo here in Florida which, as you can imagine, gets attacked by the sun year after year. It seems to be holding up well. We paint fairly regularly, pressure wash it, too, and it holds up BUT, the bottom laps around the buildings are missing chunks in several places where the lawn care guys must be hitting it with weed whackers or other machinery. Also, some of those boards have fallen down from being hit so I think the cement tends to crumble around the fasteners when whacked a bit. And, come to think of it, some of the boards look a little warped so that can happen, too. Overall, though, it is holding up throughout the community.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Personally I'm not a fan. Some people have experienced pealing paint (factory finish) peeling only a few years after installing. After a long battling of back and forth, Hardie's response was to write a check for the a dozen or so affected boards. Meh.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:48 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
We use a lot of hardi out here in the PNW because it is one of the few siding options that can handle our weather.

Hardi generally comes primed and then you paint it what color you want. You can get it prepainted at the factory, but I think site finishes are always better.

1) Hire someone that installs it on a regular basis.
2) It is heavy siding because it is fiber cement. Cement isn't known for being light.
3) It can break easily. Hardi needs to be handled carefully. This is not a one man job kind of siding product. I've seen plenty of cracked and broken hardi out here with one man contractors trying to install it themselves.
4) Make sure the housing wrap is underneath the hardi. It is meant to go over wrap and not the sheathing. I've seen some builds where they wrapped the house before the sheathing and that violates hardi's install instructions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate