Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:55 PM

41 posts, read 38,228 times

Advertisements

I agree, if it works for you, go for it! I have found lot restrictions to be my nemesis! I would prefer a lot with town water & sewage, but most require 1800-2500 SF minimum! I want around 1500 SF max. Guess I'm supposed to go to the boonies, dig a well, put in septic, & "be happy". Problem is that's not what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,673,149 times
my wife and I live in a 4 bd 2 ba house that is 1100 sqft we really only use two of the bedrooms so we could probably live just fine in a 2 bd 900 sqft house. We don't have kids and aren't going to have any just us and the two cats and chickens in the backyard.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:55 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,537,660 times
Tarajane:

We just bought a small 2br/1ba 750sqft house, with a 11.5 x11.5 bonus room. It works for the two childless of us. It is a ranch, and that comes with a basement for storage,though me being disabled and get around with a cane, I cannot adequately use it well; we were thinking of finishing it off, but I want a laundry center {stackable} in the kitchen so I don't have to tread the stairs so often.

Our bath came with 0 storage unless you count the mirrored in wall med cabinet and the two small drawers in the vanity "storage". SO we had a large 2' x 5' shelved cabinet built and installed over the toilet. I also installed two put-together cabinets next to the vanity floor to ceiling for storage.

The MBR closet is only a small square one, and I had to buy a clothes rod extender to make 2 rods for hanging clothes,and while there is plenty of dresser space, not all things can be folded. Dress/casual shirts don't fold well!

We have a 1 car garage, too. It comes in handy. But we'd rather a two car. A storage shed will have to be bought in the spring for lawn care and stuff.

SO IF your cute small house has plenty of storage, i say GO FOR IT. You'll enjoy it.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:32 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,467,375 times
Here's 992 square feet. A funky lot. The property line cuts the 2-car garage in half. I own the bay with the American flag.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:27 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,660,366 times
Never lived in a house quite that small, but a garage with such a small house would be a real plus to me. I live alone, but I'm all for keeping my car safe/out of the weather, etc. Sounds good to me!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:09 AM

9,368 posts, read 15,024,276 times
Geoff,
Very sweet little house! Love the landscaping and the big shower!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:19 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,419,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Totally do-able. Sounds cute and cozy! Glad you have a nice lot and having that garage is GREAT!!
I should add I once lived in an efficiency about that size with two kids and a German Shepherd.

ALSO had a house about that size with a psychotic husband and two kids.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:28 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,504,046 times
Depending on how much space is usable it could be fine. I know most homes in FL don't have basements so that means less than the typical storage space. But also, think about whether it has a dining room you don't need and whether you could use the space for something else (crafting, for example) or if it would just sit and be wasted. Also if you can use room dividers, etc. to maybe creatively portion off a bigger room for more privacy - like a reading nook in the living room - one of you could watch tv with headphones while the other reads. Things like that could help make a marginal space much more livable.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,680,808 times
Also realize you may be out a lot more there. Less cleaning, better weather. Of course, if you like to stay in...consider that seriously too. My friend loves long walks on the beach and painting outdoors. She has attached a porch and likes spending time there too. (You could potentially put in a pull down screen on your garage)

Old 02-21-2016, 11:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,532,075 times
When I first got married, we bought a "starter" house, the Cape Cod style, with a second floor that was unfinished. The first floor was 672 sq ft (24' x 28'), had 2 bedrooms, one bath, an eat-in kitchen, and an adequate living room. In time we had 2 daughters, who shared the larger of the 2 bedrooms, while the wife and I took the smaller bedroom. We all shared the same bath.

The laundry machines were in the basement. That house was so inexpensive, we had it paid off in about 8 years. We continued to live there until our girls were entering their teens, when we moved to a larger house. But we decided to keep that first one, and I am now finishing the second floor into 2 big bedrooms and a second bath. Someday, one or more of our 6 grandkids may need that house!

When we retired, we built a ranch in Maine, 28' x 40', 1120 sq ft. It also has 2 beds and 1 bath, heats well with a woodstove, and costs us next to nothing. We have found that, the less you spend on overhead, the more cash you have left for the good things in life - a fishing boat, another vacation home, newer cars, lobster and ice cream with the grandkids, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate