Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:08 PM

676 posts, read 940,184 times

Advertisements

I found a very updated cute house in FL. It is only 897sq ft. Block house with a 2 car garage and a fireplace ! on 1/2 ac. Has anyone lived in a small house such as this and liked it or not. I was about to buy another small house but the offer fell through. There were some repairs that were needed and the seller would not repair. But this house looks like a cute one just for my husband and I. We are retired with no children to visit us. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 PM

10,065 posts, read 18,168,070 times
I would MUCH rather have a small house on a decent-sized lot (and 1/2 acre seems decent for most places, although it's a bit small to me) than a large house on a tiny lot (UGH).

If it works for you, why not?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,632,921 times
It would work for me if I was single. For two people, not so well. My guess is there is only one bathroom. But at least you have a two car garage. That's uncommon for such a small place.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:59 AM

619 posts, read 579,643 times
I would also prefer smaller house to large house. Previously I lived with my adult son in an apartment that was probably about 700 soft, one bathroom, and the last few years were getting difficult for me.

Currently I live in an apartment that is also very small, but I live alone and between work and commute I spend very little time at home. I also don't have a lot of "stuff". I guess those would be my concerns - are you spending a lot of time at home, and how much stuff do you have?

Obviously it's possible to live in a small place, people have whole families living in crowded conditions. The question is will it work for you?

Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,394,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I found a very updated cute house in FL. It is only 897sq ft. Block house with a 2 car garage and a fireplace ! on 1/2 ac. Has anyone lived in a small house such as this and liked it or not. I was about to buy another small house but the offer fell through. There were some repairs that were needed and the seller would not repair. But this house looks like a cute one just for my husband and I. We are retired with no children to visit us. Thank you
I'm not sure what the issue is??? If you like the house and would be comfortable living there, then the opinions of others really do not matter. If you and your belongings fit and the space works for you, you'll be fine.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:08 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,841,818 times
Small homes are cheaper to maintain, should you ever need a new roof it's cheaper to get one over 900 sq ft vs 2000 sq ft and it's also cheaper to cool since you will need AC most of the year in Florida. I looking for a small home now because that's all I can afford, but that's all I really need, It's just me and 2 dogs and a guest room should I ever need it or want a roommate to help with the bills or if my father ever needs to move in with me.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:28 AM

676 posts, read 940,184 times
Thank you all.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,173,785 times
yep that would work for me and mine . I hate where I'm living now because I have a 300 dollar light bill now and I swear if these electric bills don't go down (there is no reason they should be this high ever !!!) I will be dumping this place before it sends us to the poor house end of story . My husband s friends seem to think that is not a high electric bill ...this is from stupid people who have never lived anywhere else mind you . But yeah I'm ready for a smaller house or a more energy efficient one .

Old 02-20-2016, 07:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep that would work for me and mine . I hate where I'm living now because I have a 300 dollar light bill now and I swear if these electric bills don't go down (there is no reason they should be this high ever !!!) I will be dumping this place before it sends us to the poor house end of story . My husband s friends seem to think that is not a high electric bill ...this is from stupid people who have never lived anywhere else mind you . But yeah I'm ready for a smaller house or a more energy efficient one .
$300 wow how many lights are you running? Just kidding, I find it funny that people call it a light bill instead of the electric bill. You have to be old to not have had any other use for electricity than to run your lights.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:17 AM

9,692 posts, read 7,430,451 times
i built a 1200 sf ft house because that the smallest the county would let me build, I would love a 750 sq ft, quicker to clean. my power bill is $59 a month, all electric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate