Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:12 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,652 times

Advertisements

If you are trying to sell your home-might consider getting rid of the plug-ins.

We were in the market to buy a home the past few months, still might be who knows yet. Two homes we went into in 45' and 48' had those disgusting plug-ins and they had one in every room!

It is not only disgusting and polluting to people like us, but can be a sign you are covering up a smell.

In our case we had to run out of the two homes within 3 minutes because we could not breathe.

What was also scary was each home had a cat, and one of the homes seemed to have a child live there.

What future health issues might your family (including pets) get from choosing to put these chemicals in your proximity to breathe 24 hours a day. The poor cat's head is level with the stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,156 times
My response to them would have been the same as yours! Oh well, there are plenty of fish in the sea, as they say, plenty of other houses on the market.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:10 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
If you're so "fragile" that a glade plug-in will send you into a spin, you should only be looking at new builds. My costco store has 2 pallets of plug-ins on the floor, because lots of normal (non delicate) people enjoy them.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Honestly, those things make me gag. Steam clean any carpets, deep clean the bathrooms/kitchen, and open windows instead.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If you're so "fragile" that a glade plug-in will send you into a spin, you should only be looking at new builds. My costco store has 2 pallets of plug-ins on the floor, because lots of normal (non delicate) people enjoy them.
They are talking about the overuse of them. Like the others, I have walked into homes where they are abused to the point of having to walk out. It's the same as the use of perfume and colognes, we have all encountered the person who over did it; air fresheners can be wrongly used as well.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:58 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
It's not about being fragile. My guess is that you haven't been in the overly scented homes very often. I don't know anyone that walks into one of those and says, "Oh lovely smell."

Old 04-06-2016, 04:29 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I don't care if someone likes them. It makes no difference to me. Use all of them that you want. However, if I am buying, I am going to assume that all the plug-ins are an attempt to cover up bad odors and that if I buy the house, I will have to deal with mold, mildew, and/or carpets and baseboard ruined by pet urine, or that someone in the house smokes and I will have the expense, which is fairly substantial, of dealing with removing smoke odors.

Therefore, if I really like everything else about the house, except that it has plug-ins or air fresheners of some sort, I am going to drop my offer by a very substantial amount to cover my potential costs of getting rid of whatever foul odor is being covered up.

Some of the other potential buyers are simply going to turn around and walk away. So, if you perfume your house while you are trying to sell, you are going to limit your pool of buyers to people who like plug-ins and who are too naive to realize that plug-ins can be used to cover up unpleasant odors.

If I drop my offer by a "substantial amount" how much are we talking about here? I've made offers 20-25% below market value.. Not only that, but I have had those offers accepted, because no one else was willing to find out what damage was being covered up with air fresheners. So sellers using those things are risking a substantial financial loss.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:59 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
The interesting thing to me is that conventional wisdom says it's a good idea to bake cookies, a cake, etc. before showings and open houses so the home smells good but use a vanilla (or similar) candle or plug in and people have fits. Personally, unless it is overwhelmingly strong, I like certain scents in homes when showing but I have had people with me who have thought the same smells were horrendous.

Like everything else in real estate, you can never please everyone and some things that appeal to some can repulse others. It can be paint color, cabinets, counter tops, floor plan, decor.....and smell.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:18 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
The interesting thing to me is that conventional wisdom says it's a good idea to bake cookies, a cake, etc. before showings and open houses so the home smells good but use a vanilla (or similar) candle or plug in and people have fits. Personally, unless it is overwhelmingly strong, I like certain scents in homes when showing but I have had people with me who have thought the same smells were horrendous.

Like everything else in real estate, you can never please everyone and some things that appeal to some can repulse others. It can be paint color, cabinets, counter tops, floor plan, decor.....and smell.
Could it be that fresh air and aroma of chocolate chip cookies appeals to more people than the smell of chemical carcinogens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_freshener

Ideas for healthier ways to deal with odors: http://www.mcs-america.org/airfresh.pdf

Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post

I have bath and body works wallflowers throughout my home not because they mask odors but because I like my entire house smelling like a particular scent. When we sold our house there was one left in a room but it didn't overpower and pretty much blended in with the rest of the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate