Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:46 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times

Advertisements

It was interesting that the house we have been in for 30 years had vanilla extract put on the light bulbs. I didn't figure that out till I changed them out. There were no serious smell issues, I think it was a cheap and quick way to make it seem like fresh cookies or something was cooking. LOL BTW, I would be suspicious of a house that had fresheners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 AM

503 posts, read 771,930 times
I am in the camp of thinking an odor is being covered up. Not appealing at all. It also limits the time I want to spend in the house looking because I want to escape the smell!
We recently went to an open house where the previous owners were heavy indoor smokers. They also used the plug-ins in every room. It was an overwhelming mix of funk stink.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 AM

741 posts, read 590,088 times
We viewed a house with a strong floral air freshener. It hit me as I walked through the door. I could also smell an underlying unpleasant odor, but I didn't know what it was. It wasn't dog or cat urine because I'm familiar with those. Funky human maybe? Sadly, the owners probably didn't realize their air freshener really wasn't doing the trick.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
. Two homes we went into in 45' and 48' had those disgusting plug-ins and they had one in every room!

!
I didn't know they made those in 1945 and 1948 Seriously I have no idea what you mean by those numbers.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
I use the plug-ins in every bathroom. When I do put my home on the market, I will unplug them each morning and plug them back in the evening. I read somewhere that you shouldn't have those things plugged in. It's a turn off. And to the OP, if the smell was so powerful, I agree that they are covering up other smells...like smoke or pet smells.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:44 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If you're so "fragile" that a glade plug-in will send you into a spin, you should only be looking at new builds. My costco store has 2 pallets of plug-ins on the floor, because lots of normal (non delicate) people enjoy them.

I'm a retired respiratory therapist and have dealt with people in the emergency room with severe asthma attacks. There are many triggers and someone who is chemically sensitive or has asthma can not be around them.

Maybe a little more understanding would be in order? I'm personally chemically sensitive and will frequently get bad headaches from fragrances.

We had a brand new hotel room recently and I had to keep the window open 24/7. It was hard on their heat bill but I was miserable without that fresh air.

Enjoy them at home if you must but I agree, if you're trying to sell a house you should appeal to the masses. I'll just crack a window when and if we sell our house.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:17 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Also, don't have those ant bait things set out. They don't work, anyways, and create suspicion.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:36 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Also, don't have those ant bait things set out. They don't work, anyways, and create suspicion.
Im with you about not having them out during showing but I beg to differ when you say they don't work. You have to use the the correct way - let the ants find them and suffer thru them trekking back and forth a few days carrying the poison back to the nest. But they do work.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:54 PM

424 posts, read 667,985 times
I'm seriously rolling my eyes so hard right now. I have kids and like my Glade Plug-ins. And yes, I use them to mask the smell of the occasional dirty diaper. Sheesh!! Grow up, people.

And just for the record, I cleaned my house top to bottom with Mrs. Meyer's last weekend (and took off my plug-ins) in hopes that there would be a showing. Much to my surprise, when I walked in the house later in the day, it smelled... off. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it wasn't the super clean smell I'd imagined. (shrug)

Old 04-06-2016, 03:19 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I didn't know they made those in 1945 and 1948 Seriously I have no idea what you mean by those numbers.
I think that this thread was moved from the Austin (Texas) forum -- the '45 and '48 references were to zip codes. You're right - it makes NO SENSE out of context!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate