Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:23 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, but just because you don't like the scent doesn't mean you are allergic to it, either. There's a lot of people who use the current fad of allergies for that reason, which was my point. Like I said, those who have actual diagnosed allergies to things are the ones who are hurt by those self-diagnosing for a variety of invalid reasons.

Like I used to tell the kids from my daughter's Waldorf School, fully half of which had food allergies that the allergy doctors stated did not exist and whose list of food allergies grew when offered various foods not on the list their parents provided when visiting my house (yes, I conscientiously asked for a list when inviting them over and adhered to it even though I was trained in the modality the parents turned to to prove their kids had food allergies when the medical doctors denied it and thus I knew enough about it to know that you might as well be diagnosed by a ouija board), at my house you could say you didn't care for something, you didn't have to be allergic to it. Amazing how the list of things they were allergic to shrunk when they realized I meant it.

Which is to say, don't like scents? Fine. Just don't pretend to be allergic in order to justify yourself/get your way.
Okay then. You are allergic but every one else is faking it for invalid reasons.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, just because buyers are not actually and truly allergic to plug-ins, does not mean they like them or they will have a favorable impression of a home that smells of chemical air fresheners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 02:25 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,703,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I like to dab essential oils (Lavender) on my duster I like it and I'm not covering anything up, but just wondering how others might react the the scent.
Some people have allergy issues that include not only chemicals, but certain natural scents. Lavender is one of the few natural oils that is usually not a trigger for allergies. You should be OK on that!

I am very sensitive to scents and chemicals. I can't enter a department store through the colognes and beauty entrance without getting a wheezing fit. I have had to flee houses when we were looking because of chemicals and smells, from air fresheners to cigar/cigarette smoke to pet odors Even had to quickly leave a hotel once because of the cleaning chemicals they used. Once a house is inundated with a particular chemical, it is hard to remove, so I have had to decline on some really great houses. Not the owner's fault on some, but also some owners clearly didn't think about it.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When I go into a store and smell anything but clean air and I leave. No store is worth getting a migraine. I think there should be a law against having them in public places. I have also heard they are fire hazards in homes. Ask the fire fighters about this.
So the whole world has to cater to you? That's not how life works.

Companies make big bucks selling these things. They're not going to give up profits to make you happy.

How exactly would stores sell them if you banned them from public places? The companies aren't going to lose money because of the sensitivity of a few people. They'll tell you to avoid them. That's easy enough to do.

Pretty much everything in a home is a fire hazard. The actual house it's self is a fire hazard. Doesn't mean we all move back into caves.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Unfortunately too many think fragrances are not harmful as long as they smell good. They will turn a deaf ear when they're told they're ingesting harmful chemicals by just breathing them.

Same as what we put on our bodies: chemical-based fragrances in shampoo, conditioner, bath soap, deodorant, body lotion, perfume/cologne. Other products: detergent, fabric softener, dish soap.

Yet you'll have these same naysayers on their soapbox demanding that food manufacturers start removing items that 'could' be harmful, while at the same time their homes are a hotbed of dangerous chemicals.

There are many scientific-proven websites about those harmful chemicals, but many will choose to ignore them because they don't see any evidence it's dangerous to them or their family.

This as well.

There's a good bit of evidence to back up that these chemicals are not good for anyone whether or not you currently have reactions to them.

There's also a lot of history with manufacturer's not taking dangerous things off the market or even disclosing that dangerous or potentially dangerous things are in their products.

Why anyone would want to pour chemical fumes into their home is beyond me.

20-25% of the population complaining about how these chemicals effect them is a pretty substantial part of the population. I suspect they may turn out to be the canaries in the coal mine rather than the special snowflake attention seeking people that some people like to label them.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM

181 posts, read 168,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
If you are trying to sell your home-might consider getting rid of the plug-ins.

We were in the market to buy a home the past few months, still might be who knows yet. Two homes we went into in 45' and 48' had those disgusting plug-ins and they had one in every room!

It is not only disgusting and polluting to people like us, but can be a sign you are covering up a smell.

In our case we had to run out of the two homes within 3 minutes because we could not breathe.

What was also scary was each home had a cat, and one of the homes seemed to have a child live there.

What future health issues might your family (including pets) get from choosing to put these chemicals in your proximity to breathe 24 hours a day. The poor cat's head is level with the stuff!
What's 45' & 48'? Mobile homes? I used to work in sales for a living, in people's homes. It's pretty weird out there when they 'are' putting their best foot forward (selling their home).

Can you imagine what I've seen over 30 years when they weren't? Some used to have those misters tht shot chemicals every couple of minutes or so... I used to time holding my breath when I knew it was ready to go off.. But it was weirder.. much, much more weirder than that...

Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If you're so "fragile" that a glade plug-in will send you into a spin, you should only be looking at new builds. My costco store has 2 pallets of plug-ins on the floor, because lots of normal (non delicate) people enjoy them.
Wow you seriously don't know that certain people cannot breathe that crap in or they can end up in the ER especially Asthmatics? Your throat literally closes up.

In my corporate office perfume was a HUGE deal. Imagine sitting in a conference or training room at 9AM with 10 women wearing competing choking fragrances. Also happens in some hotels who use a CHOKING amount of chemicals or "fragrances".

Those things are so strong if I have a job in someone's home that's a live-in, the first thing I do is unplug them, wrap them in towels and store in the people's master bath with the doors closed. (I'm a pet sitter). Fortunately I don't have many people who use them.

I don't even have asthma but my nose and eyes burn just for starters. Living with that and any other harsh chemicals like bleach would give me sinus infections.

It's called Chemical Sensitivity.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:02 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,692,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Wow you seriously don't know that certain people cannot breathe that crap in or they can end up in the ER especially Asthmatics? Your throat literally closes up.

In my corporate office perfume was a HUGE deal. Imagine sitting in a conference or training room at 9AM with 10 women wearing competing choking fragrances. Also happens in some hotels who use a CHOKING amount of chemicals or "fragrances".

Those things are so strong if I have a job in someone's home that's a live-in, the first thing I do is unplug them, wrap them in towels and store in the people's master bath with the doors closed. (I'm a pet sitter). Fortunately I don't have many people who use them.

I don't even have asthma but my nose and eyes burn just for starters. Living with that and any other harsh chemicals like bleach would give me sinus infections.

Smelling bleach will give you sinus infections, eh? Lol.. okaaaayyy snowflake.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
A very tactful explanation of Chemical Sensitivity.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 AM

424 posts, read 668,801 times
I just sold my house this weekend right after a showing. I only had about 10 minutes to make the house look presentable as I had to rush home from work. After I left, I realized that I forgot to unplug my Glade plug-in (what? I like the smell?!) and guess what? The couple wasn't offended by the smell and immediately wanted to put in an offer at the end of the showing.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Back when Musk was the "in" fragrance, I was assigned to a new project and my 'partner' marinated himself in Musk. I tactfully explained my sensitivity to fragrances and asked if he would refrain from wearing the cologne while we worked together.

He was very understanding and obliged. Now here is the kicker: just two weeks into the project he told me that since he stopped wearing MUSK he had not had one migraine, whereas he had suffered with them on a daily basis. He told me he threw the MUSK in the trash and thanked me for bringing the sensitivity issue to his attention.

There are many who suffer with various ailments: headaches, sinus issues, etc., etc. (it's all listed on the internet), but will they listen and at least try eliminating fragrances? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate