Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 PM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
You might want to double-check to see what's going on.

I've only had property taxes decrease on one of my houses, and only for 2 years in a row. It was due to the devaluing of all the houses in that area. While I liked paying less in taxes, I wasn't thrilled about what the city felt houses in that area were doing.
We have had a lot of property tax decreases in the Triangle, where Nick is, too.

We only re-assess in full every 8 years, and the 2016 assessments came in lower than the 2008 assessments.
Add in a growing commercial tax base, and many people saw up to 10% decrease in property tax on their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 PM

749 posts, read 736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We have had a lot of property tax decreases in the Triangle, where Nick is, too.

We only re-assess in full every 8 years, and the 2016 assessments came in lower than the 2008 assessments.
Add in a growing commercial tax base, and many people saw up to 10% decrease in property tax on their homes.
Weird.

What's going on in your neck of the woods? Housing prices falling?

Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,505,682 times
Quote:
Weird.

Nah....pretty much the opposite.

We are one of the fastest growing, highest education attainment, modern/'diversified economies in the nation.

In my modest condo development with a 5 minute commute to UNC, a 15 minute commute to Duke, and a 20 minute commute to Research Triangle Park...units are now selling for 15-20% over what I paid just last July.

Demand and prices are increasing even more dramatically in single-family neighborhoods with similar proximity to the regions job centers.

With all of that growth....property tax rates are able to remain stable or even decrease while housing values increase.

The "dark side" of this scenario is that it had probably never been more difficult for most buyers to get a house with all of the competition.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 PM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:

Quote:
Weird.

See the bold above.
It is hard to overvalue the impact of a solid tax base, with commercial contributing.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 PM

749 posts, read 736,069 times
Quote:
See the bold above.
It is hard to overvalue the impact of a solid tax base, with commercial contributing.
Ahhhh... That's good. I just wondered if there was a negative behind the positive - like tax assessments going down while rates went up, or if commercial zoning was encroaching on residential.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It is a myth that monthly payments on mortgages stay the same,especially when you include ever increasing property taxes.

Has anyone in the history of the Usa ever have their property taxes stay the same?

No.

My sister's monthly payments started at $1500/month in 2009;her monthly payment ballooned to $1731/month in January of this year.

So yes,it is a myth monthly mortgage payments with property taxes stay the same.

Tell the whole story,not half of it!
Property taxes on a $150,000 house in my area will likely be between $1,000 - $1,250. Hardly onerous and they do not increase much.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Quality of life has a certain value. I don't look at a home as an investment for financial reasons but a home to be happy and feel safe in. I'm single and I'm building my own home as I can afford it. It'll be under 600 square feet all done so small. But enough for a single, outdoors person. A house doesn't need to be big especially for a single person. If I want more room I can add on. I won't have a bunch of neighbors on top of me I may or may not trust or tolerate. I'm paying $300 a month for the land. 10 acres. Not the cheapest property I looked at but not the most expensive either. I have 15 years to pay it off but want it paid off sooner. An apartment in the area would be 700-800 or more a month. And rent goes up all the time. Taxes should stay under $1000 when the place is done though I'm sure that will go up in time no doubt. I have a nice trout brook on the lot. Plenty of firewood (small dying trees here and there). Plenty of privacy. I can see the white mountains from my porch. I can have my large gardens I enjoy having. I've got fruit trees planted in some orchards. I've got a small maple sugaring operation going. My closest neighbor is a half mile away. I have absolutely no desire to rent. If someone didn't want to start from scratch you can troll the ads on craigslist, local papers, and go by word of mouth looking for a fixer upper. There's a 150 year old house down the road from my place for sale for under $20K. It isn't bad but it'll need plumbing put in. It's a 19th century time capsule other than the new wiring put in recently. Easy DIY work really if you take your time. It's crossed my mind to make an offer on it and flip it but 2 projects at the same time is a bit much.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:33 AM

10,967 posts, read 21,998,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Two incomes make it easier to afford a house.
Nonsense. A higher income only affects the price at which a buyer can purchase, not the ability to purchase or the process of purchasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate