Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 10:43 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,668,610 times

Advertisements

I'm shopping for condos estimating closing costs etc, and I've come across the fee for a survey. What is to be done on a condo survey? They are marking the boundries on the outside of the building correct?
Is it common to get a survey for a condo? I am assuming this will not effect title insurance since I will only have title to the unit. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 12:25 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Here in Denver, there would be no survey for a single condo. Surveys are not common. For a townhouse, maybe.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:35 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
Surveys are not necessary for condos as you don't own the property and can't change anything to your footprint so there are no boundaries to ensure.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:06 PM

809 posts, read 746,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Surveys are not necessary for condos as you don't own the property and can't change anything to your footprint so there are no boundaries to ensure.
I sure wish this was true. I live in a townhouse style condo complex. There are multiple owners that added onto their units. So much for an unchangeable "footprint". Those same owners are the ones that volunteer to "serve" on the Board of Directors.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
I sure wish this was true. I live in a townhouse style condo complex. There are multiple owners that added onto their units. So much for an unchangeable "footprint". Those same owners are the ones that volunteer to "serve" on the Board of Directors.
But are they zoned as townhouses or condos. Many people think their townhouses are condos, and they are actual townhouses, and with townhouses, you own the land and have different rules than condos.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
But are they zoned as townhouses or condos. Many people think their townhouses are condos, and they are actual townhouses, and with townhouses, you own the land and have different rules than condos.
I'll type slow sparky.

I live in a townhouse style condo in Florida.

FS 718 is the statute that takes precedence over our condo docs.

The laws can be irrelevant when people do as they please.

I think Associations can be like "banana republics". I don't know much about HOA's, but I do know about Florida condo associations.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I see that you advertise yourself as a Texan real estate agent. I'm not religious, but god bless anyone that subjects themselves to your "services".

Old 07-01-2016, 08:18 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Quote:
Maybe yes maybe no. We have had this problem recently in our town. I'm on The local Planning Commission and we had to address it. A town house is an architectial style, a condominium is an ownership style. There is nothing to prevent a townhouse style building to have ownership structured as a condominium where the exterior structure and all land is owned by a condo corporation. Or the townhouse style building could be set up as several independently owned (fee simple) properties with a common area outside those fee simple lots that is owned by an HOA association. This came into play when a local developer tried to use both townhouse and condominium interchangeably when trying to get variances to various town zoning standards. We eventually worked everything out by seperating the architectual side from the ownership side.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
I see that you advertise yourself as a Texan real estate agent. I'm not religious, but god bless anyone that subjects themselves to your "services".
You're just mad because agents on your other thread told you they wouldn't give you THEIR commission when you buy a house. Pretty sad that you think they're all worthless just because they won't give you money. That's your own short-coming, not mine.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You're just mad because agents on your other thread told you they wouldn't give you THEIR commission when you buy a house. Pretty sad that you think they're all worthless just because they won't give you money. That's your own short-coming, not mine.
Nope, not at all.

If an agent offers value-add I'm more than willing to pay for it.

Fortunately new businesses like Redfin will "uber out" the RE agent deadwood.

Like RE agents that don't understand the difference between a condo and a townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate