Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:19 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
It will scare off a lot families with young children, even with the prospect of a fence installation. But, I'm sure it is a bonus to many!
Many buyers who want a pool are families with young children because who use a pool more than a kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 11:00 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
We're thinking of selling our house in a few years. We live in NC and did alot of work on our yard. We added a pergola, fireplace, outdoor kitchen, in-ground pool, concrete decking, and fenced in the entire yard. I'm attaching a few photos. I don't expect to recoup the cost of all this work. I just hope to sell quickly when the time comes. Will this type of yard hurt us when we list our house?

Sorry the last photo is upside down. I tried to fix it but I can't.
You have to sell the house to only one person, who will like those things a lot.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The buyer's bank won't accept your appraisal, if you get one, it would simply be to confirm whether your house would have a chance of appraising for what you want to sell it for. Personally, I think it would be a waste of money and you'd be better off having your real estate agent help you set a reasonable price with a competitive market analysis. An appraisal is simply one person's opinion, and there is no guarantee that a 2nd appraisal wouldn't end up with a different figure. A CMA is the same thing but at least it would help you set your price based on the recent sold comps in your area, so you'd have the same ballpark in which to set your selling price. Either way, there is always going to be a risk that a buyer's appraisal comes in under your selling price.

As for how long it would take to sell - well, that primarily depends on how long houses take to sell in your area in the first place. Your yard is attractive in the photos but it's definitely not going to appeal to every buyer so the reality is that it will likely take a bit longer than average. Of course all it takes is one buyer and if appropriately priced and marketed, and assuming the actual home is attractive, well maintained, etc. and priced right, you will hopefully get that one buying sooner rather than later.
Also, the OP isn't selling for a few years. The market can change drastically between now and then. CMA should be sufficient, especially since buyer's bank wouldn't accept it anyway.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I cannot get a true sense about how much grassy area is left from your pics. People with children would be looking for space for the children to play in.

And, as others have said, there is a distinct market for pool lovers. So, your buyers are narrowed to pool lovers.

Those not looking for pools are going to be wondering how much of your house cost is relegated to the pool, and how much more house they might get for a home in the same price range that doesn't have a pool.

Also, I think the pool looks on the small side. And the steps are nice, but the area they lead to is not landscaped at all. I think some landscaping in the bare dirt area would look much better....even if it were simply a nice ground cover.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
OP, you are right: You only need one buyer.
And, there are plenty of buyers who are frustrated that they cannot find a house with a nice pool.

Your pool/yard are just great for a pool buyer. I just don't get a grasp how well the pool is integrated into the flow of your home. How about wet areas for entry and exit, shower and dressing?

I would not advise someone to install a pool with much hope of breaking even or profiting from it, but if done well and kept sparkling clean, pool buyers will flock to a good house with a great pool set-up.
If the house measures up, you can certainly get it sold, but get plenty of enjoyment out of your pool oasis as long as you are there, because your personal enjoyment will be your real justification for and return on your investment.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Seeing as I desperately want my own pool in my backyard, I'd LOVE to have something like that! Yes, there will be buyers that have no interest, but there are others (especially in NC) that would love to have it. You should be fine!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:57 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
It must be tough having such a case of the worries. Maybe selling in a few years? Relax and enjoy your pool.

In NC you're probably far enough south that having a pool isn't as big a liability but too far north for it to be a necessity. It may take a little longer to sell.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 AM

492 posts, read 638,274 times
After this last long hot summer I suspect the number of pool wanters has increased. I wouldn't put in the extra fence unless the inspections require it. It won't show as well and most folks who want the fence will want it to their specifications.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
You could always get the fencing and have it ready to be set up. Buyers with children will want that extra protection handy. They won't want that extra expense on top of buying and moving in.

If I'm thinking correctly, in my area, new pools have to have a barrier from the house to the pool. When ours will be finished, the holes in the pool decking will be in place. We will have the poles and netting in our possession in case we need them. If youngseters visit, we will only have to place the poles, with netting attached, into the holes.

OP, if you have the system at hand for new owners, that may go a long way in how quickly your house sells. You don't need to have them in place at the time of showing, but state that they come with the house.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I think it's beautiful. When my kids were younger (they knew how to swim by 3 years old) I would have loved it. I'm sure it's the prettiest backyard in the neighborhood. I lived in eastern NC for 9 years and I know people there love gardening.

Good luck - hope you find a buyer right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate