Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I say the same, make an offer. Maybe they have not had any offers or maybe they have had similar offers and did not want to go that low. You may want to consult an attorney in your area or do a search to see how much similar homes have sold for.
LOL, Meant to say realtor in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 03:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
On the market for a year and they lowered the price over 20%. I doubt any offer would be insulting.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:06 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
1. There is no such thing as a "lowball offer." There are just overly emotional sellers.
2. No offer is ever "insulting." There are just overly emotional sellers.
I would temper that input with a mention that you should not put them out of the house 5 weekends in a row with lengthy visits, dragging the in-laws and outlaws through, lots of questions, criticisms of the property decor, condition, etc.

Since you are dealing with a budget constraint, you just write your best offer, make a comment that you are really at the top of what you can do, and if you and the seller can find a deal at that, great. If not, "Thanks for your consideration."
If this approach causes emotional stress for the sellers, they just need professional counseling or an agent who can prepare them better for market realities.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:41 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
There is a number that is correct but you will really have to study. Materials and labor costs can go up monthly. Include in your study construction costs in your area. Things that would eventually need to be replaced would not be rated at full value. Do not place much value in the banks or the agents determination of value. You should include all data in your offer as most have no idea.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:59 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Check the comps
Make an offer
See what happens

If they get insulted, they get insulted (shrug).

It's not personal. It's business.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:38 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
When a house has been on the market a long time, there might have been some offers that were accepted but fell through due to mortgage problems and/or other problems. Therefore, the more problem-free your offer, the more likely you can get a very good price. Do you need a mortgage? If so, you need to somehow absolutely convince the seller you can get one. And look at all the other contingencies and ask yourself if you really need them. Make it clear in your offer that it doesn't have a lot of contingencies and that you can close right away. You can sometimes get a surprisingly good deal that way. Simply because the seller might be getting very tired of having the house on the market.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. There is no such thing as a "lowball offer." There are just overly emotional sellers.
I would temper that input with a mention that you should not put them out of the house 5 weekends in a row with lengthy visits, dragging the in-laws and outlaws through, lots of questions, criticisms of the property decor, condition, etc.

Since you are dealing with a budget constraint, you just write your best offer, make a comment that you are really at the top of what you can do, and if you and the seller can find a deal at that, great. If not, "Thanks for your consideration."
If this approach causes emotional stress for the sellers, they just need professional counseling or an agent who can prepare them better for market realities.
Absolutely! The often stated concern that a "lowball" offer will insult the owner is a silly attempt to turn a business transaction into a personal issue. Selling/buying a house is a negotiation, not a prom.

Look at it from the seller's perspective: My house has been on the market for considerable time with no serious offers -- near my price or other. A potential buyer comes along and likes the house well enough to make an offer, but, it's 20-percent below my asking price. What should I do: (1) Be offended and pout because the buyer doesn't see the same value I do; (2) Get angry and ignore the offer --- and rudely tell the realtor to go fly a kite; or (3) make a counter offer and tell the 'buyer' why the value is justified in the context of current comps, upgrades, etc.

By the same token, if I, as a buyer, want to make an offer 20-percent below the asking price, should I (1) Tell the seller I can't afford more and they can either take it or leave it; (2) Make an offer 25-30-percent below asking in the hope they will counter closer to the 20-percent less I'm willing to pay; or (3) Submit the offer with a list of specific reasons I believe the house is worth what I'm offering, instead of what they are asking (comps, needed repairs, other problems).

Obviously, #3 in both cases is sensible, rational and has the best chance of succeeding; while #1 and #2 may make one feel vindicated, but probably have very little chance of success.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 PM

447 posts, read 488,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Exactly! I don't get why people call it lowball offer. Or they'll accept, not accept or meet you somewhere in the price. Simple as that. Sellers should not get upset about these kind of offers. We doing business, not dating.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:01 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I have been involved in real estate for nearly three decades and if anybody does not acknowledge that there is a HUGE psychological component to both the seller accepting or rejecting an offer AND the decision of the potential buyer to make an offer such a person is showing their lack of grounding in reality.

Frankly I believe there is a LOT in common with purchase / selling of other costly items, especially motor vehicles. Whether you are attempting to buy a new car, buy a used vehicle or get a trade-in / sale of your used car you absolutely must acknowledge that there is more than just a logical / rational process involved.

There are people that will claim to be immune to these psychological triggers but believe me if those folks look around their laundry or bathrooms and try to explain why they have the products they do (from detergent and fabric softener to toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste,shampoo,hair conditioners, deodorants, razors, etc) it becomes very clear that they've already bought into a huge amount marketing that is clearly based more on psychology than rational decisions...

BBC - Future - The subtle science of selling

Origins Of Brand Management | Branding Strategy Insider

Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
Great advice given to you.
Make your best offer and see what happens.
Some owners aren't realists and may never sell, their egos hurt them.

It's easy to find comps online for similar properties that have sold recently. Those are known as "facts" and if you pay too much you'll never get that money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate