Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 AM

258 posts, read 299,786 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are expecting to move to a neighboring state in the near future. We won't be given a lot of notice when this happens (1-3 weeks). I was curious if, in your experiences, there was any difference in selling a house that had furniture in it, or a house where the owners had already vacated. We have never sold a house before (this is our first home), so I apologize if this seems like a novice question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:39 AM

149 posts, read 226,570 times
I've bought houses both ways, sold them both ways. When we left TX recently I tried to do a bit of reading on the subject and there was not much conclusive saying one way was any better than the other. I think if it's empty it becomes that much more important to make sure that everything is absolutely spotless inside though. Worst case is move everything out and put it on the market, if it doesn't sell relatively quickly then pay someone to stage it for you and see if that makes any difference.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
This is an ongoing debate. Myself, I believe an empty house looks larger. My last sale was of an empty house. Just be sure you have somebody come by to keep it clean. You will have to address landscaping issues as you will not be there.

If within 200 miles, I suggest a visit every other week to be sure all is well.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM

258 posts, read 299,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This is an ongoing debate. Myself, I believe an empty house looks larger. My last sale was of an empty house. Just be sure you have somebody come by to keep it clean. You will have to address landscaping issues as you will not be there.

If within 200 miles, I suggest a visit every other week to be sure all is well.
We'll be within 1.5 hrs driving, so we expect to be back on the weekends making sure the house is okay.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:58 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
We'll be within 1.5 hrs driving, so we expect to be back on the weekends making sure the house is okay.

Thanks for the responses!
Being only that far away you could easily clean/maintain the place yourself on a weekend basis. Have any rel estate agent you hire, agree to visit during the week to check on things.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
It depends on the house. If it's a small house you want it furnished but not with oversize furniture. If it's small and unfurnished it will be harder for the prospective buyer to imagine if furniture will fit or not.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It depends on the house. If it's a small house you want it furnished but not with oversize furniture. If it's small and unfurnished it will be harder for the prospective buyer to imagine if furniture will fit or not.
I agree with this.

I sold a house from a different state. I stayed with my parents while my home was on the market, so I left my furniture. Once it went under contract, I went down and moved everything back up. Deal fell through though. It remained empty until I sold it. So, I (sort of) sold the same house both furnished and unfurnished.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:24 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Some people say that they prefer unfurnished and that they only buy houses that way. My feeling is that if furnished houses didn't sell better, builders would not have fully furnished and staged model homes. They wouldn't waste that money unless they were doing a better job of selling the houses that way.

Having said that, I think it's extremely important to make sure that a house is not TOO furnished and crowded looking. And closets and cabinets should be at least 1/4, hopefully more, empty, to convey the impression that there is so much storage that you can't use it all.

But it sounds like you are coming from the opposite approach, where you are concerned the house won't sell if it's completely cleared out? I think that it can be hard for people to envision how furniture fits that way, and what I've seen work is when the listing photos are taken with the furniture in place and there is a printed sheet in the house with those photos, even though it's empty for the actual showing. That helps buyers easily imagine how the furniture fits in the room and gives a better sense of scale. Empty houses can sometimes look smaller than they really are.

Two houses ago, I moved out of state and was leaving an almost empty place to sell - but I left an old dining room table and chairs that I didn't want and my real estate agent agreed to dispose of when it sold. I thought that helped give that sense of scale, plus it meant that someone could sit down and do some paperwork to write an offer if they wanted.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Emm74 just took the words out of my mouth. Particularly the part about builders.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Ask your real estate agent after he (she) has looked at your furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate