Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paths View Post
I'm realizing how different the skill set is to be a buyer's agent or a listing agent. Also, many of the top sellers have been around a while, which brings up the question of how current they are on their marketing practices. That's been an issue for us - outdated websites and so-so photos on current listings. We have another agent coming over this afternoon. Hoping she's good!
Another problem is that those with many listings just might be overlooking important details, because they are too busy trying to get as many under contract ASAP but not following up to closing with the same urgency. A seller wants the house sold, not just under contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
Last time, I was selling a 50-year-old home and I wanted someone from the area who was totally familiar with the homes and neighborhood. Someone who could really sell a buyer on the advantages and address any potential objections.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 AM

29 posts, read 24,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Another problem is that those with many listings just might be overlooking important details, because they are too busy trying to get as many under contract ASAP but not following up to closing with the same urgency. A seller wants the house sold, not just under contract.

Good point and well put about wanting it sold!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Yup. We had previously worked with someone who had sold one house we had owned much earlier, and on our next house he first worked as buyer's agent and then as our listing agent many years later. Good experience with both types of transactions...with that person, who was also a friend.

So, after we moved to another state and bought a property there, my husband insisted that we use the same person as our listing agent to sell it a few years later. I remembered some things that I hadn't been wild about the first time but caved to DH's demands. I should have insisted on interviewing other agents both in and outside of the town. I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say that my instincts from the first transaction were right. We just didn't realize that some agents are better at serving as buyer's agent or listing agent, not equal at both.

I couldn't edit the second paragraph to dis-ambiguate something, so I am doing here.

The "same person" referred to in that second paragraph is NOT the friend who had worked with us in the first state both as buyer's agent and listing agent. We thought the first agent had done well in both capacities.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
some mentioned to me that I should contact the person I dealt with when I bought my home
It was an REO though and i actually bought it at auction and didn't have my own buyers agent The lady I mostly dealt with was a lady in the office of the broker that had her name on the listing so I never really had any interaction with the selling /listing broker.

The broker I selected seems like a great choice . He's a top listing broker in the area and been in business since 1978 lots of excellent reviews .

Still kind of stressed but also excited to move on .

Old 03-17-2017, 10:17 AM

29 posts, read 24,389 times
We interviewed another agent and it went well. We will pick from the two we liked best. They each have their strengths and a couple of concerns. I'll call them today and talk through those. Would be interesting if it was like the Shark Tank and I could get them to work together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate