Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:34 PM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times

Advertisements

First gate is 1450' away, second about 1600'. I don't know yet, if the line is used much, so can't comment on this yet. I used to live within 100 feet of a crossing gate that saw a lot of traffic when I was in college, and I think I got used to it... Forget a lot from 32 years back. That was in an urban environment, and this one is obviously rural.

Your thoughts and opinions on this situation, most notably noise from the train whistle, and even ambient noise from the train, as it relates to the homes proximity. Going to look at the home at 5pm today, hope a train passes by. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
We are approximately 1 mile from a train crossing. You can hear it but it is not obnoxious. Trains have to sound their whistles at each crossing. Two long, one short, one long.

I'm sure that if you fixate on it, it would drive one nuts. LOL. For me it is just background noise, like traffic.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Looks like there is some natural buffer with the trees, in your photo.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Looks like there is some natural buffer with the trees, in your photo.
There is much more than "some buffer" there is a pretty much SOLID wall of trees, the road curves (as does the rail line which is good as that forces trains to slow down and the home is MORE THAN A QUARTER mile away so that give a healthy margin for noise and safety.

As far as homes in rural areas the background noise level is MUCH lower than in urban areas so the "disruption" from a train can be somewhat jarring but that is more about how it interrupts the sounds of birds and such than anything that wakes you up or makes folks stop talking while enjoying a cook out in your yard...

Old 04-03-2017, 02:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
So it's two at-grade crossings, where cars have to stop for the train??

No way would I buy or build near it. Trains are required to signal the horn at those crossings, which is not a sound I need to hear regularly or that close to me.

You need to find out where the line goes. In our town three freight trains an hour use the main line that goes through, and residents complain about the whistle constantly. Even if the line is not used that often, that could always change depending on what is built down the line.

ETA: looks like it goes from a railyard in Greenville past an aluminum plant and beyond. I would expect it to get a good bit of traffic.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:13 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post

First gate is 1450' away, second about 1600'. I don't know yet, if the line is used much, so can't comment on this yet. I used to live within 100 feet of a crossing gate that saw a lot of traffic when I was in college, and I think I got used to it... Forget a lot from 32 years back. That was in an urban environment, and this one is obviously rural.

Your thoughts and opinions on this situation, most notably noise from the train whistle, and even ambient noise from the train, as it relates to the homes proximity. Going to look at the home at 5pm today, hope a train passes by. Thank you.
If it doesn't go down the road to the other house in the picture and ask what time the train usually comes through. Then go sit at the house during that time and make an informed decision. If its an all day/night trains non-stop well that could be a problem, 1-2 trains a day a quarter mile away, not such a big deal.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
My first apartment, in college, but more urban area was about that distance from a railroad crossing. There was a train nearly every morning at 2am, and there was no way to sleep through it. First came the signal bells as the gates went down, then the train horn, then the vibration of the apartment windows. Finally, the burglar alarm at the nearby gas station, closed at that hour would go off for about 5 minutes.
There is now a 7-11 where the gas station was back then. I would definitely find out about the train schedules, though they are subject to change.
Attached Thumbnails
Train crossing gate proximity to home... Is this OK?-uc-train.png  

Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
I love trains (a guy thing?) but I wouldn't buy anywhere near that.

Not only do you have the sound of the train and the whistle, but you will also have people idling around while waiting for the train to clear the crossing. The (spoiled) icing on the cake for me would be the vibrations. You may have been used to the sound at your old place, but was it the same ground composition?

Were they the same types of trains (passenger vs. Freight?) Were the speeds the same (High speed vs. low speed freight or passenger?) How long are the trains that cross this location? If you were used to a train that crosses occasionally, yet is only averaging ten cars long (long up to rouse from sleep - but then fall back into) as opposed to a 100 car train that will go on and on forever - definitely waking you) would that make a difference. I would find out what types/frequency/speeds/length and other information about the trains that will pass before making commitment.

Lastly, this train is going to curve right around your property - the direction of the curve makes it likely that a derailment will never hit your house - BUT, you do realize that trains turn not by changing the angle of their guiding wheels as a car or bus does, but by slamming those wheels into an immovable steel track, causing high pitched squeals and metal on metal shrieks as they turn! This is definitely a "no thank you."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-03-2017 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I used to live in an apartment next to the Southern Pacific tracks, and the trains would come by every 15 - 20 minutes.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:24 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Interesting point about the curve and the unique noise it causes. Where do the tracks go from the bottom of the picture? Are there more grade crossings there? (I used to live in Edmond, OK about 2 miles from very busy BNSF tracks. There were about 10 grade crossings, and I could hear every one of them.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate