Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:13 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post

i got a reply back saying $200 for january for the whole electric bill. strikes me as really low based on everything i read. the base boards can be configured in each room so that might help. but i am not sure how these people live so maybe they dont turn them on at all often. who knows.

my fear is what you posted - getting a $700 bill each month i can't really afford.
This was an extremely mild winter for most of the country. So $200 in a mild winter would be much more in a normal winter, much less a cold one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
You don't need "ducts" for gas. There are LOTS of homes heated with gas fired hot water. The switch from electric baseboards might be easy IF there is piped gas service available.

The newer "mini-split" type AC systems can also be purchased with a heatpumps to warm in the winter. There are also heatpumps that will supply heat hydronically to perimeter style baseboard radiators with no need for ducts. The costs for each of these conversions could be evaluated for the "pay back period" based on current and future utility costs... https://www.furnacecompare.com/payback-period.html

The OP may also consider eliminating the existing electric water heat and replacing heating/cooling/hot water for cleaning and such with an INTEGRATED device -- Air-to-Water Heat Pumps | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

BTW -- Anyone that claims "electric baseboards" are cost effective is WRONG. The way a heatpump works it costs about A QUARTER as much to run as electric baseboards. The "efficiency" of converting electricity directly into heat is "complete" in the sense there there is PURELY resistive heating inside the dwelling, compared to a COMBUSTION process that uses gas there are "loses" related to things like the warmth going up the chimney to expel combustion gases and water vapor. By that measure a heatpump is MORE THAN 100% efficiency because the compressor is capturing "free warmth" from outdoors and "concentrating" in the dwelling -- https://energy.gov/energysaver/heat-pump-systems

Of course any home that is "super insulated" will have LOWER ENERGY costs than one that is under-insulated REGARDLESS of the source of the heating / cooling...

Old 05-03-2017, 11:39 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Electric heat? In Philly? Yeah that would be a hell no! I'd find another house. You could go bankrupt in one bad winter. Or freeze to death.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You don't need "ducts" for gas. There are LOTS of homes heated with gas fired hot water. The switch from electric baseboards might be easy IF there is piped gas service available.

The newer "mini-split" type AC systems can also be purchased with a heatpumps to warm in the winter. There are also heatpumps that will supply heat hydronically to perimeter style baseboard radiators with no need for ducts. The costs for each of these conversions could be evaluated for the "pay back period" based on current and future utility costs... https://www.furnacecompare.com/payback-period.html

The OP may also consider eliminating the existing electric water heat and replacing heating/cooling/hot water for cleaning and such with an INTEGRATED device -- Air-to-Water Heat Pumps | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

BTW -- Anyone that claims "electric baseboards" are cost effective is WRONG. The way a heatpump works it costs about A QUARTER as much to run as electric baseboards. The "efficiency" of converting electricity directly into heat is "complete" in the sense there there is PURELY resistive heating inside the dwelling, compared to a COMBUSTION process that uses gas there are "loses" related to things like the warmth going up the chimney to expel combustion gases and water vapor. By that measure a heatpump is MORE THAN 100% efficiency because the compressor is capturing "free warmth" from outdoors and "concentrating" in the dwelling -- https://energy.gov/energysaver/heat-pump-systems

Of course any home that is "super insulated" will have LOWER ENERGY costs than one that is under-insulated REGARDLESS of the source of the heating / cooling...
I'm guessing you've never had electric baseboard heat or have not done an "apples to apples" comparison between the various methods.
If you had you'd know you are incorrect.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
This was an extremely mild winter for most of the country. So $200 in a mild winter would be much more in a normal winter, much less a cold one.
Was it really? Our winter here was so bad that we were setting records left and right all winter. I also Apparently I went into tunnel vision mode and just assumed that everyone else had a bad winter also.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:31 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm guessing you've never had electric baseboard heat or have not done an "apples to apples" comparison between the various methods.
If you had you'd know you are incorrect.
Not really incorrect- you're both kinda right..

Resistance heat is 100% efficient- zero heat is lost up a chimney.

Heat pumps are 3x more efficient than resistance heat, per unit of electricity.

So, if a kilowatt hour of resistance heat gives you ten btus, a heat-pump would give you 30 btus.

Gas heat might still be less expensive though, even if the furnace is only 80% efficient, just cause gas so tightly packed with energy.

Funny that the posters in this thread that actually used electric baseboard heat say it wasn't that bad & the detractors haven't ever used it.

If I lived where gas wasn't available, I'd choose electric over having a "pig" in my yard, or heating with logs.. it wouldn't ever be my first choice, but I'd buy an all electric house in the future, if the circumstances were right.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:14 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Was it really? Our winter here was so bad that we were setting records left and right all winter. I also Apparently I went into tunnel vision mode and just assumed that everyone else had a bad winter also.
Yup. We set records for the warmest January ever. We barely got any snow.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I wouldn't pass on the house over this but I agree with other posters- I would instantly put a mini-split system in to cover most of your heating except for the coldest one or two months of the year, and you'll also save a lot on cooling since they are more efficient than any AC the house would already have. DIY can be done for under $1k and you'll realize at least that much in savings in year 1.

I'm also surprised that there isn't a natural gas line near the house given the location; if you can connect to natural gas on the cheap then you can also get a majority of your heating through a single appliance, such as a centrally located fireplace with ventless logs or other natural gas heater.

Electric hot water is annoying but when the thing dies you can get a heat pump water heater for about the same price, assuming your powerco offers rebates (we get a 50% rebate here).

Heat pumps and natural gas are on pretty equal footing in terms of heat per dollar, all in. Baseboard heat flushes money down the toilet although some powercos give a discounted rate for those who heat with electric so the bite might not be quite as bad.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 733 times
The heating is very expensive if Electric

Old 05-03-2017, 02:27 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
everything about this house i am considering is perfect but everything is electric. hot water heat, stove, base board heaters, etc.

im in the philly area so it can get cold in the winter

my concern is getting stuck with ultra high ultity bills in the winter

anyone have experience with this ....mainly base board eletric heat as the only heating source?
I wouldn't touch it.
Gas is cheap, oil goes up and down but elec is always high.
I'd expect oil to remain reasonable for the next 8 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate